Sign in to follow this  
megagoth1702

What questions would you ask the AUDIO TEAM of Bohemia? Technical & creative stuff

EDIT: Trip is over, I am back and waiting for a message on what I am allowed to publish. :) Small writeup will come but guys, the audio future is great!

Hey guys,

I might be able to visit Bohemia very soon and have a chat with the Audio team. I have many questions myself but I want you guys to have something from it as well. Ask audio questions. Make them short, snappy, on point. Imagine this: someone comes into the room who has NO IDEA what you're talking about. So you have to make it VERY CLEAR to him.

Bad example: Y U NO HAVE 3D SOUND?!

Good example: Is it possible to implement HRTF into the audio engine? This would greatly improve 3D positioning of all sounds for players with headphones.

Edited by megagoth1702

What is opinion on samples 3 dimensional samples - could they benefit game in relation to development time vs pushing audio fidelity further?

Yey Mega I'm excited, you do like blog or something after the visit, I like reading technical oriented posts from you.

Dear Audio Team, if you've seen some of the interesting things that the Community can pull off, for example, 3D moving sound, what kind of potential do you think ArmA has, in terms if incorporating something similar that hasn't been done before?

Thanks! I will do something like that after.

I don't really understand the questions though. samples 3 d samples...? What? More clarity please.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Dear Audio Team, if you've seen some of the interesting things that the Community can pull off, for example, 3D moving sound, what kind of potential do you think ArmA has, in terms if incorporating something similar that hasn't been done before?

What is 3D moving sound? Be more clear. Vehicles already are a "3D moving sound", because they move...

Ok, i mean Laxemann's Sound-scape. He was the first modder to ever create sound in the ArmA seres, that for example, is fired from a weapon, and the audio moves from the gun, and bounces off the environment in a realistic way. He's done the same for some vehicles weapons, like the APC's, creating large reverb that makes it sound like your actually in an Environment with sound moving around you.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Any chance of vehicle and aircraft sounds travelling at the speed of sound as well? Instead of being instant like they are now?

Is occlusion going to be improved based on open windows and whether doors are open/closed? (Might be probably super hard to accomplish, but we could do with some approximation at least)

Are rockets ever going to have 3D sounds attached to them? A rocket flying past your head is completely silent as it stands.

Are tails going to be implemented for explosion sounds? And while we're on that topic, are explosion sounds themselves going to be overhauled?

Is a loudness equalization like in modern Battlefield games a possiblity? e.g. firing a gun drowning out other sounds (like environment ones) for a short period of time, as well as quiet sounds getting louder when there are no loud sounds.

Edited by FrankHH

Reverb is something that Arma 3 does not need. Also sound implementation is highly limited by the API itself, 3D sound have direct impact with directional, positional and attenuation, probably that's why we had better sound in these matters before new sampling introduction.

And exactly because API limitations I doubt that can be better than it was before new samples, unless a external sound engine implementation is planned.

Hi,

Can devs open up the in game signal processors to scripters (create some sound attenuation scripting commands)

or

Extra params for existing say3D/playsound3D (so you can add preset or dynamic effects like reverb/echo to sounds).

Can they make a scripted sound source that can move? (say3D and playsound3D can't)

Also, can you ask why the distance sounds project to is lower than you would expect? (perhaps performance).

Thanks

Reverb is something that Arma 3 does not need. Also sound implementation is highly limited by the API itself, 3D sound have direct impact with directional, positional and attenuation, probably that's why we had better sound in these matters before new sampling introduction.

And exactly because API limitations I doubt that can be better than it was before new samples, unless a external sound engine implementation is planned.

It's a question to the Audio team, not something i wanted to Argue over, thanks. But the new implementation is good, it's not done yet. No where near, it's simply a step in the right direction. Reverb is good, for the open and wide area's with lots of hills. The current Urban stuff is great. But i just want to know if the Audio team could think of a way to use 3D soundscape to get the sound up to the way it should sound. Stay on Topic from now on.

I don't ask sound guys anything --They never listen!

But yeah, 3-d positioning for direct von --since direct von is on the fx settings.

Any thoughts on having a graphic EQ in audio settings?

Question: Any chance to see speed of sound and sonic booms properly simulated for aircraft, rockets and missiles?

Question: Will BI continue to develop the sound scape with more samples and features, or do they consider it to be completed and it's up to the community now? I personally would like to see an improvement to explosion sounds and distant fire fights without having to use mods that may not be accepted on certain MP servers.

Good example: Is it possible to implement HRTF into the audio engine? This would greatly improve 3D positioning of all sounds for players with headphones.

Ask them this, please.

Yes ask them why EAX was so awesome in OFP and what can be done to replicate it now.

Pretty obvious what's going on here - BI is luring Sound modders in, cloning them only to release their much inferior, non dynamic range sounding doppelganger back into general public.

Question: Will BI continue to develop the sound scape with more samples and features, or do they consider it to be completed and it's up to the community now? I personally would like to see an improvement to explosion sounds and distant fire fights without having to use mods that may not be accepted on certain MP servers.

Good point, i wanted to ask that too similarily, will they plan on adding tails for explosions, and vehicle fire, or basically any weapon sound, which would make sense. Only having tails and enhanced sound for hand held weapons is extremely unrealistic, and sounds only good with infantry. Throw vehicles into the mix, and it sounds mixed and out of place.

Yes ask them why EAX was so awesome in OFP and what can be done to replicate it now.

Pretty obvious what's going on here - BI is luring Sound modders in, cloning them only to release their much inferior, non dynamic range sounding doppelganger back into general public.

Froggyluv hops on to spread his cheer, back you cynical bastard back I say :D

No sound expert, any sounds for weapons resting coming.

Question: Will we see (hear) the sound occlusion from Arma 2 in Arma 3 at some day?

It is one of the features that I miss most.

Question: Is there any plans to expand/remove the limited amounts of sounds being played at once (currently: 128 max). Anything that stacks multiple audio sources like a minigun combined with an active AO tends to go silent pretty fast.

Mega what will you ask around about?

I just came up with another one!

Question: What are the developers thoughts on "AMD True Audio"? Is not Arma3 ideal for such technology, as it's performance is mostly CPU bound? "AMD True Audio" takes that load off the CPU and put it on the GPU instead, potentially increasing game performance.

Except it's AMD only...

Edited by Fennek

Except it's AMD only...

I know, and that's a huge downside. I'm almost certain the developers are going to say something like "unless it gains a very significant market share, we are not interested", but I actually want to hear their opinion, instead of discussing it on the forums, so that's why I posted the question in this thread.

It seems to me that the delivery of audio content and technical features in Arma 3 have been slower than the other content.

I'd like to know about the human and time resources the audio team has, and how they compare to the resources available to other aspects of Arma 3 development. Thanks.

Alright. I am leaving tomorrow with the questions from this thread and my own ones. I put them all into a really fucking ugly chart and will try to get answers for all of them. I wished for more participation here since people are typing so much in the audio tweaking thread. :icon_wink:

I will try to make many pictures, some videos and will write up the whole thing into a blog-style thread post. I hope that it will benefit the community in some way.

Anyway guys, I'm off to bed. Gotta get up early tomorrow. :)

Mega what will you ask around about?

Mostly technical stuff. Config definitions, parameters and XAudio2 middleware stuff.

Edited by megagoth1702