Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

What faction would you want next?

Hi guys.

With the close release of Marksmen DLC and (maybe soon?) a possible annoucement from BI about the expansion, I wonder: what new faction would you like BIS to introduce?

I'd like to see the European Forces and especially the French ones (actually, even now they do possess hell of a gear!), and if (fingers crossed) they continue the story and set the expansion in the Pacific, Chinese and Japenese or Korean forces would be nice aswell.

The CSAT suit is a chinese design so for me is the only choice

2014-09-04_00004.jpg

Before anything else, I would like to see a new OPFOR Subfaction.

NATO has the FIA, which is useful for CSAT coop missions where the player will be up against large amounts of enemies.

For example, anybody who has A3MP/AiA TP and CAF_Aggressors has probably whipped up a Taliban vs. US sort of middle-east conflict mission. The weak enemies means that a smaller team of players can go clear out town after town, large squads, etc. without casualties (if they're skilled). It makes for a simpler, higher quality coop gameplay.

Fighting CSAT is not like this. CSAT vs. NATO is more conducive to PvP, where the players are all on a level playing field. AI vs. AI NATO vs. CSAT, depending on settings, can be a toss-up as to who wins. Because CSAT's armor allows them to absorb many rounds (3-5), they are very difficult targets. AI vs. AI (even with a human squad leader) battles basically come out to who was lucky enough to lose their last man first, resulting in massive casualties. The casualties are essentially 1:1, only leaving a couple men left on the winning side.

This may be okay for PvP, but for coop, it's no fun losing all your men in one battle, especially if you are trying to clear all of Takistan town after town and there aren't respawns.

So what I propose is this: give CSAT their own version of the FIA. Inferior weapons, inferior armor, but similar intelligence. Fighting smart but weak enemies is a lot better than fighting stupid but tank-like ones. This provides an enemy that is a force to be reckoned with, but within the abilities of a squad of NATO soldiers to defeat without heavy casualties (just like CSAT vs. FIA). CSAT vs. FIA works great for what I'm describing; all we need is an OPFOR version of the FIA.

I'm seconding Zukov -- Chinese faction next, though they'd better not be the_Demongod's proposed "CSAT version of FIA", especially if they're payrolling/arming CSAT enough to be the source for the Altian-deployed CSAT troops' Zafir. (I disclaimer it with "Altian-deployed CSAT" since we don't know their kit for anywhere else, i.e. whether the Zafir was a case of "Urgent Operational Requirement​".)

I think the 3 biggest hyped things in the ArmA community as of this post and are in no particular order

ISIS/Terrorist Forces of the Middle East

North Korean Military Forces

Ukranian conflict forces (Ukrainian Separatists, Russian Forces, and Ukrainian Military Forces)

I know many modders have the ISIS/Terrorist and some have the Ukrainian Separatists things down and RHS has the Ruskies, so the only thing missing is Chinese/North Korean forces, and I opt more for NK forces as most people want to see a united Korea without the crazy NK dictator, would be a great map to cover the entire Korean Peninsula. Diversified terrain, great open and CQB warfare, and you can make one hell of a single player experience to boot!

Addendum: its extremely wishful thinking to have them cover all of Korea, hell I think a fight from Seoul to Pyongyang would be do-able and would still give players a massive AO to work with that is very diversified. We would be looking at roughly a 220x220km map which is completely do-able for BIS, if not BIS then I think Icebreakr can do it :)

Edited by Spartan0536

Diversified terrain, great open and CQB warfare, and you can make one hell of a single player experience to boot!
Aren't generic asian terrain features tall grass, big trees and giant bushes everywhere? AI would have hard time navigating through it; on the other side, players will surely enjoy being shot in the head by an AI laying in the grass two forests away from player. And it's might not be BI's fault, I doubt that there is AI out there with reasonable hardware requirements which is able to acceptably perform in such environment. Honestly, I don't think that PvP will be enjoyable either, everyone will be sitting under some bush until his or enemy's patience drains out like it happens in lots of other games.

Aren't generic asian terrain features tall grass, big trees and giant bushes everywhere? AI would have hard time navigating through it; on the other side, players will surely enjoy being shot in the head by an AI laying in the grass two forests away from player. And it's might not be BI's fault, I doubt that there is AI out there with reasonable hardware requirements which is able to acceptably perform in such environment. Honestly, I don't think that PvP will be enjoyable either, everyone will be sitting under some bush until his or enemy's patience drains out like it happens in lots of other games.

Not to mention the massive performance hit from all the foliage...

A prologue faction set not in 2030 but far closer to current day.

I would like to see extra terrestrials maybe as little bonus expansion and story.

Keep all the realism and authenticity but adding E.T.'s just as a little curve ball and an interesting story which would add the element of fighting something other than humans.

I would like to see extra terrestrials maybe as little bonus expansion and story.

Keep all the realism and authenticity but adding E.T.'s just as a little curve ball and an interesting story which would add the element of fighting something other than humans.

I can just imagine people getting really angry about that, and yet I really want to see it.

Chappie faction would be amazing and would fit with the year of 2035.

Whereas I want to see it because of other people's anger!

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Bluefor = USA, Europe, Opfor= Russia, China and as Independets= a mix of "islamic states" with their own fictional weaponry. Not based on Russians just complete different from the others.

I don't see how that would make people angry as all earth elements should be as realistic as possible. Just talking about adding a new faction and let the mission makers decide if they should use them or not.

China, After all, CSAT is backed by China and Russia. We've seen Russia many many times in the Armaverse, time for something a little more, say... Oriental. China is a mainly defensive state though, and less aggressor, but growing their military might to enforce and show power in their own backyard, which is bound to cause a power struggle between CSAT and NATO, which is already happening in the Armaverse. By 2035, it would have escalated to full out conflict given the current situation. I wouldn't mind seeing some Chinese equipment, meaning lots of Amphibious Armor, and Boats, and Arial vehicles.

J-31 anyone?

@Nightmare515

You can already get British Troops (and maybe a few others, not sure yet) through the Armoury Mode. Just make someone in that and throw him into the Editor! ;)

http://i.imgur.com/Q48rCI2.png (212 kB)

I know that but I mean dedicated units, with Challenger 2s, MTP camo, etc.

Some trerrorists or separatists as opfor to kill, or at least a human and not alien look opfor faction, so i can forget CSAT star trek troops forever without using mods or scripts

@ Simon1279: A look at the Arma 3 CfgVehicles lists on the BIKI showed that all three military sides (not factions) have their own iteration of the guerrillas, it's just that BI only made BLUFOR's Editor-visible (as the FIA faction).

For the csat IMHO BIS needs only to work on the helmets

But... But..

I like the CSAT gear.

I go out of my way to loot CSAT bodies for their Defender helmets to replace the ECH! (Also, come to think of it, the neck ribbing is basically the only "future tech" aspect of the CSAT uniform that's starkly visible from the front, going by that "PLA 2035" screenshot.)