laxemann

LAxemann's DynaSound: A new soundmod (+ public soundmod-framework)

Dynasound_1.png
LAxemann proudly presents...
DynaSound (DS)
a new soundmod for ArmA 3

+ public soundmod framework

What's the story and idea behind it?
Hey folks,
some time ago I've written that I'm working on a soundmod script framework.
The intention was to make it easy to use even though it should include stuff such as distance scripts, inroom sounds and more.
I'm currently doing the weapon sounds for RHS, writing new scripts for DragonFyre and wanted to help out megagoth with his soundmod, too.

All this lead to the decision of actually doing the script framework and I got so motivated that I started my own soundmod, too.
I'll try to push DynaSound as far as possible and when everything works, the framework will be released for everybody - aswell as the soundmod itself.
DynaSound itself is meant to be played with my Enhanced Soundscape.
And here we go!

Intention
Most important fact straight ahead:
I'm doing the soundmod for two purposes:
1. The fun
2. The fun of letting you enjoy it if you like it

There currently are some soundmods in development, which is phantastic!
I'm a huge dynamic range enthusiast and really can't stand the compressed soundscape of today's games but I'm also aware of the fact that I'd have to make every single sound in ArmA
more quiet in order to achieve my desired effect.
My goal is it therefore to achieve a soundscape that has a distinct dynamic range but compromises with the downsides of having to compress here and there.

Features
Straight to the point, some features (so far):
• Different sounds for different distances
• Distant explosion sounds (Same issue as with DFyre... ammoEventhandler, y'know)
• Inroom sounds
• An easy-to use script framework
• New weapon sounds, of course
• Rocket Flyby-noises
• More to come

Plans
The mod won't touch vehicle or ambient sounds - at least for now.
I'll mainly focus on weapons and new features related to them.

Progress
Weapons:
Everything except for some DLC weapons.

Misc:
• Bullet Cracks
• Indoor sounds
• Explosions
• Rocket scripts & sounds (FlyBys, flying sound, incoming sound when close etc.)
• Script framework, partially modular

Media
WARNING: In order to get the best sound experience, adjust your volume to a level that makes

sound "natural", and then push the volume up just a bit more.

More Videos:

Well, tell me what you think so far! :)
LAxe

Edited by laxemann
  • Like 3

What I really love so far is that close gun shots actually sound like they are only a few meters away, not a hundred meters like in some other mods (I won't name, because we have to purely focus on this thread), while the distant sounds sound like they are supposed to as well. I was really impressed when the camera was zooming in on the guy shooting, really nice work! The only weird sound was the grenade explosion, it kinda sounded like dampened thunder.

But yeah, gute Arbeit! :D

Sounds good dude. But as i said before there is a workaround to the distant explosion sounds, i found out a way when making the first distant sounds script.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Lax please stop and take a break or something! I read somewhere too many eargasms might cause death. I'm too young to die!

The only weird sound was the grenade explosion, it kinda sounded like dampened thunder.

But yeah, gute Arbeit! :D

I accidentally rendered the wrong sounds, these were meant to be used for a distant explosion with a different effect chain - The other grenades sound nothing like that as you can hear.

And thanks! :)

Sounds good dude. But as i said before there is a workaround to the distant explosion sounds, i found out a way when making the first distant sounds script.

Wheeew, really? I either missed that or was tired as fuck.

Feel free to inbox me if you've got some spare time left and want to do so - thanks! :eek:

Edit:

Some random firefight, you can even hear the new and WIP RPG sounds, too!

Also, the MX is a bit more prominent in this one.

Edited by LAxemann

Sounds absolute perfect! You´re my favourite dude for immersive stuff. Can i support you anyhow?

Sounds absolute perfect! You´re my favourite dude for immersive stuff. Can i support you anyhow?

Yup, keep tracking my stuff and motivate me! :D

Amazing sounds mate,what would be cool is the sonic cracks i would love too hear that snap.

Did you already shooted a airgun ? the sound that the pellet make when it passes near the ear is freakin awesome .

Is it possible to add it to small calibers ?

• Distant explosion sounds (Same issue as with DFyre... ammoEventhandler, y'know)

No doubt its this bug below, Foxy and I discovered this back in the alpha, since then its been ignored and indeed got much worse as more things have been removed too. Check out sosp core pbo inside you'll see the init, in there is a semi-work aorund that forces the required sounds but to other sosp users only. Maybe you can make use of the idea and expand upon it, let me know if you can but if not just use the idea buddy.

Congrats on the release too mate :D

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12340

DAMNIT! You've done it again, It sounds good. I wonder though, are you going to be taking the authentic route like LJ, or are you going towards a more realistic approach. I really like a more realistic approach when it comes to sound design.

I wonder though, are you going to be taking the authentic route like LJ, or are you going towards a more realistic approach. I really like a more realistic approach when it comes to sound design.

Depends on how you differentiate between "authentic" and "realistic" :D

I guess you can sum it up like this:

DragonFyre will definitely sound a bit more hollywood-ish. By far not over-the-top, but lots of reverb, compression, crackling, stuff like that - more like in battlefield.

I tend to make my actual gun sounds more clean since Enhanced Soundscape does the reverberation job. I also use waayy less compression in order to have an actual dynamic range.

Clean, more decent sounds = DS, Immersive cinematic soundscape = DFyre.

As always, just a matter of taste. :)

This is my taste :) I will be following this for sure!

With your portfolio of tweaks and addons I'm sure creating your own soundmod is the way to go. Looking forward to future updates! Sounds great so far. :)

Depends on how you differentiate between "authentic" and "realistic" :D

I guess you can sum it up like this:

DragonFyre will definitely sound a bit more hollywood-ish. By far not over-the-top, but lots of reverb, compression, crackling, stuff like that - more like in battlefield.

I tend to make my actual gun sounds more clean since Enhanced Soundscape does the reverberation job. I also use waayy less compression in order to have an actual dynamic range.

Clean, more decent sounds = DS, Immersive cinematic soundscape = DFyre.

As always, just a matter of taste. :)

I see. Yes, i really prefer the clean sounds and sound scape. I will definitely be using both alot when i can. Awesome stuff, cannot wait to see where you take this.

The best part about this mod, that it doesn't make me want to lower the sound of the game when someone is firing, like previous versions of jsrs for example

Really looking forward to this mod - I love your philosophy of keeping that dynamic range without using (or overusing) compression! Reminds me of this video:

One question though - will DS be 100% client-side? I only ask since other sound mods have claimed to be client-side in the past and yet they throw RPT errors on our server when used. This meant we had to ban the use of these mods on our servers (for the sake of stability).

Can't wait to hear more, sounds incredible so far ;)

Edit: One more (cheeky) question - what sources do you use for your sounds?

Edited by MisterGoodson

One question though - will DS be 100% client-side? I only ask since other sound mods have claimed to be client-side in the past and yet they throw RPT errors on our server when used. This meant we had to ban the use of these mods on our servers (for the sake of stability).

Well, at least I hope so, there currently is nothing that's being executed on a global level and I don't plan to implenent something like that! :D

Edit: One more (cheeky) question - what sources do you use for your sounds?

YouTube videos mainly, but I also got some nice sounds from someone who is the sound engineer (or something like that) in a theatre.

I usually produce music and modified kickdrums etc. make a nice bass.

Additionally, I got two firearm libraries, one of them is this one. The guys crowdfunded so that they could record firearms for free for everyone.

The sound quality isn't that great but making sounds is all about composing and EQin the elements right! :)