Sign in to follow this  
Flax

British Training Equipment

British Army Training Equipment

Overview:

This mod will be the first of a few to come based around current/ near future British Forces. This pack will contain a load of assets used by the British Forces for training and practice. The idea came around from a few British units I have played/ had contact with who liked the BFA's on the old P:UKF pack. I plan to expand this into further forces in the future. If any one has an ideas for expansion or more assets to be involved please let me know.

Asset Plans:

Training Grenades - These will consist of training grenades for both hand grenades and 40mm grenades. They will not explode with any lethal force and will have a coloured puff to indicate the impact area.

Simunition - This is ammunition that forces around the world use for various training purposes. Most simunition rounds can be lethal therefore I will alter the way they work for more use in-game. I plan to have these as magazine's whose ammo fires without a lethal force but using an event handler gives a visual and audio representation of when a player is hit. Again this will be useful for unit during training or exercises.

Blank Firing Attachments - These are the items that British Forces use for blank firing exercises. They consist of a yellow and black barrel attachment and a matching yellow striped magazine. The plan with these is to make them a barrel attachment for the silencer slot that work in conjunction with the blank magazines. When fired no projectile will be fired in game. These are great for use within mil-sim/realism units who wish to teach new trainee's firing drills without the chance of friendly fire. I have these working in game and will have a will have a video to go with it soon.

107410_screenshots_2014_08_02_00002.jpgdscf2278aa.jpgL111A1-1.jpg

Any further info will be updated on this post and any new ideas will also be included. For now I'm going to keep beta's/ testing of this to some guys within a few unit I know and when I'm happy I will fully release.

Extra Media:

Edited by Flax_

Nice, doing a simulation inside a simulation. That's...a simulation inception.

They should make laptops so we can play VBS in Arma3. ;)

They should make laptops so we can play VBS in Arma3. ;)

Not sure about that but might be able to get ArmA 2/3 into a PIP display on VBS when we get the new one.... who knows.

Here is a quick proof of concept for the simuniton. The first shot shows that a normal round (ammo type shown in hint) has no effect. The pistol round shows that when then selected ammo - which will eventually be the simunition rounds - is detected hitting the body the "death" notifications appear.

These come in three forms:

- An audible sound (in 3d environment).

- A hovering orb for visual aid.

- A global chat message from the hit person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmKXvEPkWkQ

What if instead of this glowing orb and such that's quite unrealistic, even for training purposes (Although I do have to say, this is a great looking mod). I wonder if it would be possible to apply the same blood that shows up on units when they die, but from the simunition without actually damaging them. That imo would be quite nice!

What if instead of this glowing orb and such that's quite unrealistic, even for training purposes (Although I do have to say, this is a great looking mod). I wonder if it would be possible to apply the same blood that shows up on units when they die, but from the simunition without actually damaging them. That imo would be quite nice!

Yea I agree the red orb of death is a bit much. It was mainly a proof of concept. The radio message and sound are likely to change. I just need to find a decent visual aid.

This looks like an excellent project, something much lacking from ArmA 3 was the UKF Weapon Pack's blanks, which were highly useful for multiple things, so it's good to see something of the kind being developed.

Any ideas yet which weapon systems you're likely to create 'blank' versions of or versions with BFA's attached? Or would BFA's etc be an attachment such as a suppressor that could be added to most of the weapons.

This looks like an excellent project, something much lacking from ArmA 3 was the UKF Weapon Pack's blanks, which were highly useful for multiple things, so it's good to see something of the kind being developed.

Any ideas yet which weapon systems you're likely to create 'blank' versions of or versions with BFA's attached? Or would BFA's etc be an attachment such as a suppressor that could be added to most of the weapons.

Initial plans are for it to work with bit Trixie's and Kiory's L85's but i plan to expand into other weapons systems such as the GPMG and Minimi. These do work as silencer attachments unfortunately the muzzle device slot works differently to the other slots so I cant use something like ASDG_JR so i have to write addition config's for each new addon this is to be used with. If it all goes well then I might loook into creating some US Training Assets along the same lines of these. Also heres an update on the progress:

- Ammo and Mag Types are configed and working.

- Initial Model and test colours are in game and working...ish

I'll have another video tomorrow but in the mean time...

update_00.jpg

Initial plans are for it to work with bit Trixie's and Kiory's L85's but i plan to expand into other weapons systems such as the GPMG and Minimi. These do work as silencer attachments unfortunately the muzzle device slot works differently to the other slots so I cant use something like ASDG_JR so i have to write addition config's for each new addon this is to be used with. If it all goes well then I might loook into creating some US Training Assets along the same lines of these. Also heres an update on the progress:

- Ammo and Mag Types are configed and working.

- Initial Model and test colours are in game and working...ish

I'll have another video tomorrow but in the mean time...

http://s12.postimg.org/ya82a71fx/update_00.jpg

Question, will people be able to modify this for US weapon uses? Maybe an open source for US milsim players to use?

Question, will people be able to modify this for US weapon uses? Maybe an open source for US milsim players to use?

Yes and No. I don't plan to release it as open source but I do plan to expand into US weapons systems. This may require something like ADSG_JR but for barrel attachments so could be some work first. I'll model the BFA used for M4's at somepoint (the red square one) and release that in the future.

Do you need to make separate blank mags?

I mean with the BFA in the muzzle slot you can set hit to 0 using class AmmoCoef and even standard mags loaded into the weapon will behave like blanks. So for training purposes there's zero chance that someone will fuck it up and use lethal rounds when you can see they have a BFA fitted.

I suppose different ammo+mags need doing if you want to set stuff like different soundHit files though (like the ISAWES beeps we had on the UKF ones), and the simunition script stuff no doubt needs it. There are a lot of ammunition parameters you can control with the muzzle attachment alone though. :)

Great looking addon flax_! Its along the line of training equipment but maybe not so much weapons, have you considered perhaps including a high viz vest of some sort? I dont know whether this might perhaps be useful for training exercises so that you could have marshalls/officers overseeing training exercises easily visible?

@Da12th - The ammo/ magazine types aren't 100% necessary, you're right. The mags are more of a visual thing because who doesn't like nice looking things. With the muzzle attachment setting the ammo values - this is/was an option but I was thinking of implementing breaking your weapon system if you try and use live rounds with a BFA just to really show people up :D. On the topic of the sounds can I use the ISAWES sound from UKF as I can't find one on the internetz and I don't like the one from the VR update for A3.

@Eotechh - I am planning some stuff for trainers. The first idea was a tablet/ PDA of some sort that fits in the GPS slot that allows them to reset the players hit by simunition either all at once or within a certain distance. For clothing/ visual aid, the high vis is a good idea but 3d modeling isn't my strong point. I was maybe thinking of expanding the simunition out and copying the laser system used by the British forces using a muzzle attachment and a vest/ helmet.

Understood. If only the game allowed for different magazine proxy models appearing on the weapon as attachments though eh? :(

As for the sounds: sure, go ahead. They're probably not that good though: I think I just made them in two minutes using the tone generator in audacity and picked the most annoying frequency that wasn't some dreadful high-pitch tinnitus noise.

Ah OK I'll have a go. See if I can make an even more annoying sound.

I was thinking about making the texture of the model a hidden selection... Apply different textures for different mags.

@Flax_ ah that's good news! Was hoping Trixies would be included as that's the one we're currently using. If you need any Multiplayer testers on a larger scale, just drop me a PM dude!

Looks good Flax! Will you be retexturing the magazines as well? If you've got the source files I guess you could set a hidden selection in the models rather than having an entire new model for every BFA weapon. Like mihikle, if you need any testing we'd be very happy to help :)

@Bravo - Yes I've been talking to SmokeDog and DK about hiddenselections it should be possible on weapons just as in vehicles and characters. I'm going to try it tonight. I'll try on Trixie's first as the links to Kiory's source is broken. :(

On the topic of Trixe's weapons as he's finished and given the source for his reworked British pack (including the L115A3!!) I was thinking of finishing that at some point if he doesn't release before he fully leaves.

@Bravo - Yes I've been talking to SmokeDog and DK about hiddenselections it should be possible on weapons just as in vehicles and characters

Hiddenselections works just fine on weapons apart from a minor bug where they revert to the base model textures when you drop the weapon on the ground. In fact a number of BIS weapons are already set up with hiddenselections: the colour variants of the Mk.20 and I think MX are done by setting different textures for different classes in the config using hiddenselections. The Tavor is also set up for them but doesn't currently have alternate textures ingame.

However, I don't think using setobjectexture to change the textures on the fly does really work for weapons.

_objectname setObjectTexture [0,"PathToTexture"]

What is the object name for the weapon that a player is holding in order to use the setobjecttexture command?

Stuff like currentweapon player only returns the classname of the weapon, not any sort of unique identifier for the exact weapon carried by the player.

What you'd have to do is set up another weapon class with an alternate hiddenselection texture path, and switch the entire weapon held by the player to this alternate class when the blank mags are loaded. At its heart the function would still basically the same as a model switch would be, you just use one less .p3d than if you had to model separate weapons to get alternate textures (which is what we had to do in Arma 2 and previous games).