Sign in to follow this  
Higher

[SP] Ammo Low

maxresdefault.jpg

Ammo Low

by

Bulldozer(Higher)

Introduction

After the Iranians invaded Altis, we, civilians, are no-where to go. There was a guy named Tasmanian Devil in my village, he established somewhat a thing called Resistance. I guess it's something like to resist and fight against the Iranians. But as me, a retired U.S special force, has no choice but to join them in their struggle and fight back the Iranians. I was born in this country, I must take an action. Same to others... Not because it's a good idea, not because it's impossible, but because we have to. The Iranians have toke our country, our lives. They've already taken our friends.*

Description: After you joined the Resistance, our first proplem is the lack of weapons and ammo. There's a Iranian convoy heading up with 2 ammo trucks to a small hidden Iranian camp in the southern position almost near our main base. Some of our guys have passed information about this convoy: there should be an APC heading it up, and a rearguard HMG vehicle. That vehicle will be a bloodshed alone, but that is supposed not to be a proplem. The most important thing to remember that these trucks will be carrying ammo. The best course of action would be to take out their drivers and simply drive them away.

Features:

•Briefing screen

•Tasks

•Pictures

•Briefing

•Debriefing

•Establishing shot

Installation:

Extract the .pbo file(s) to your Steam/SteamApps/common/ArmA 3/MPMissions folder.

Credits & thanks:

Bulldozer(Higher) for creating this mission.

Known Issues:

Sometimes Jay would spot the convoy after you destroy it or even wouldn't. Sorry about that. I'm on it.

Change Log:

v1.2

• Changed the description of the EXT.

• Fixed some text.

Download links:

• v1.1 Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26365

Feedback would be really appreciated and helps to improve the mission/thread. Thanks!

PS: I'm working on to improve the picture in the thread.

Edited by Higher

i was hoiping to solve my probloems but your this threda has done so thank you guys really i apprciatre thsia lot really

Hm... I didn't really understand you're reply, but I'm sure that its about thanking me. :)

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Higher

There are a bunch of script errors, check the report file. Looks like you copied some script snippets from somewhere else but didn't adjust them properly. First something with undefined variable "badger" (and "bear" too) in line 15 of the init.sqf, then two other instances at the start of the mission and shortly after when the screen was supposed to go black.

Briefing: The map has a bunch of markers, but they are not really explained (who is jay, what are the arrows' meanings), and more important it is not clear what to do. sure, the convoy needs to be stopped and the driven to base. But where is the ambush supposed to take place, where is the convoy coming from, where is it going to, where is the base that I'm supposed to divert it to?

In the mission, I moved to the waypoint convoy, but as soon as I arrived, the convoy was already coming (I wasn't that much too slow, maybe I could be 30 sec faster, but not more). And the area where I encounter the convoy is totally unsuited for an ambush: No choke point, no cover for me, no overview - all tactical advantages are on the opponents' side. If I was to lay an ambush, I'd need to know from where the convoy is coming, then a few minutes at least to prepare myself, check out cover, fire lines/sectors, possible escape routes for the convoy that I need to cut off, preferably place a charge/IED etc. That is all impossible when I'm standing in the open and being run over by an APC while I'm still trying to catch breath.

So I'd suggest to make it clearer at what time the convoy is expected to drive from where to where, and give the player time to arrive at the ambush site a few minutes in advance. And you should choose a different place, or at least give the player a chance to look for a different opportunity. Then if the player had a backpack with an IED, this would make it more realistic (a resistance cell with no supplies would easier build a homemade bomb than obtain a professional AT launcher), also you should use other clothes (the guerilla stuff seems to be ok), not regular AAF uniforms, if this is supposed to be a makeshift combat group formed from civilians.

btw., I read "Credits & thanks: Bulldozer(Higher) for creating this mission." And I've read similar stuff a few times lately. Maybe I'm oldfashioned, but to me it seems odd to thank yourself for something you have done.

On a side note: Have you anything to do with "Sgt.Killz"? (same person? related? just used one of his missions as basis for yours? or both of you used the same tutorial?) Because there are a bunch of small irregularities (not really big errors, just noteworthy small things) that are similar. Both of you write a couple of unneeded lines in the description.ext (stuff from Arma1 times), you use diamond shaped symbols for friendly forces (they are meant for OPFOR, according to NATO standards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_map_symbols#Affiliation), you write "you're" when you mean "your", you thank yourself for the mission, you name the player character "Jackson" etc. Don't tell me all that is just coincidence ;)

Huh? Why were you doing that? Aren't you supposed to figure out the mission without using a program?

And no. Not really. I've just taken a lot of his missions. Familiar?

And hold on a minute. Did you even read the introduction and the rest before replying?

When you hover you're mouse over the mission editor, it says *create you're own scenarios*. I guess that means if you don't like the mission, say what you have but no need to complain about it because everyone has his own design in such things. And I believe that *you're* is the right sentence.

I really liked you're feedback, but you're orders are such rude. I have seen you commenting on some missions and I liked them, but it would be a real pleasure if the thing I talked about earlier would be removed. Thank you for you're feedback.

EDIT: That proplem is for admins/moderators to take care. It does not belong to members...

Edited by Higher

Well, sorry if it sounded rude. I unfortunately have the habit of sounding more rude than I intend to. I tried to be objective and list all points that I noticed, but all in all that could indeed seem like an avalanche of overly harsh criticism. My apologies for that impression.

But I just think that it was no help for you if I just wrote "I don't like your mission" and not why. And that would be untrue as well, because I like every opportunity to play Arma, even with missions that have some room for improvement in my opinion.

Huh? Why were you doing that? Aren't you supposed to figure out the mission without using a program?
what do you mean? doing what, what program? I just played the mission (twice actually), saw the script errors pop up (I'm on dev build, so script error display is enabled) and read them, nothing more I can do.

And yes of course, I read description and briefing, that's why e.g. I was wondering about the default AAF uniforms and relatively good equipment that does not seem to be in line with the story.

I'm not trying to give you orders (again: sorry if it sounded like that), I just thought that pointing out a few ideas that I deem as improvements would be helpful. If you try them and also come to the conclusion that this or that can improve you mission, you can make a change, but of course that is up to you.

btw., after playing it a third time, I found a suitable spot to hide on a hill further south, however only with the knowledge from the first playthroughs. And I also noticed that the convoy is not moving further than the intended ambush point, as if they were waiting for their fate. One would expect that the convoy would keep moving towards their destination if they are not attacked.

it would be a real pleasure if the thing I talked about earlier would be removed.
Unfortunately, I have no idea which thing you mean.

Maybe it is good to wait for opinions of a few other people and see what they think of this. However, I have the impression that in general, feedback on SP missions is quite sparse lately (despite that you have already some 250+ hits just on Armaholic already, noone said anything), so that may take a while.

Well, sorry if it sounded rude. I unfortunately have the habit of sounding more rude than I intend to. I tried to be objective and list all points that I noticed, but all in all that could indeed seem like an avalanche of overly harsh criticism. My apologies for that impression.

But I just think that it was no help for you if I just wrote "I don't like your mission" and not why. And that would be untrue as well, because I like every opportunity to play Arma, even with missions that have some room for improvement in my opinion.

what do you mean? doing what, what program? I just played the mission (twice actually), saw the script errors pop up (I'm on dev build, so script error display is enabled) and read them, nothing more I can do.

And yes of course, I read description and briefing, that's why e.g. I was wondering about the default AAF uniforms and relatively good equipment that does not seem to be in line with the story.

I'm not trying to give you orders (again: sorry if it sounded like that), I just thought that pointing out a few ideas that I deem as improvements would be helpful. If you try them and also come to the conclusion that this or that can improve you mission, you can make a change, but of course that is up to you.

btw., after playing it a third time, I found a suitable spot to hide on a hill further south, however only with the knowledge from the first playthroughs. And I also noticed that the convoy is not moving further than the intended ambush point, as if they were waiting for their fate. One would expect that the convoy would keep moving towards their destination if they are not attacked.

Unfortunately, I have no idea which thing you mean.

Maybe it is good to wait for opinions of a few other people and see what they think of this. However, I have the impression that in general, feedback on SP missions is quite sparse lately (despite that you have already some 250+ hits just on Armaholic already, noone said anything), so that may take a while.

I was talking about removing the orders and the wrong personality. But again, sorry of being like that. I really hope you didn't mean that I created another account...

no, I have no idea, I just noticed the similarities. The "same person?" wasn't meant really serious, why should anyone make a second account after all. In general, I didn't mean to be aggressive in any way, I'm certainly not one of those sadistic trolls that just randomly pick on people for their own fun.

I really appreciate that you take your time to give constructive feedback to mission makers, Brainbug. I think higher overreacted a bit here.

Hey. I'm not really overeacted, but did you even read his replies up there? If you didn't, check it out then you could change you're reply. Also, it's not just about the mission markers.

By the way, did I even flame for you to say that?

EDIT: Anyways guys, let's leave this thread and not argue about useless things. I guess it had enough...

Edited by Higher

Ok here's my take on the mission:

Overview:

Nice pic and a bit of text - nothing wrong here.

Cinematics:

Not present, but would have spiced up the mission quite a bit.

Mission:

Quite challenging to the point I could not complete it - due to what I perceive a mission design oversight. It is a classic ambush mission but I do not have access to mines, satchels or additional AT launchers. Only one AT launcher is on my team, and it is used to either dispatch the Ifrit or the APC. The rest of the enemy including the valuable ammo trucks then drive away and cannot be reached on foot, thus the mission does not end. Bombing the APC away or at least have a second AT gunner taking the 2 armed vehicles at the same time would rectify the problem.