Bucic

Please recommend a noob friendly gameplay AI mod

Related:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?163073-What-s-Your-Favourite-Mod

I'm about to start my first campaign in ArmA 3. With ArmA 1 and ArmA 2 I usually started by installing either ACE or XAM replacement mods. Since neither of these is available for ArmA 3, what AI/gameplay mods would you guys recommend? Please favor mods that don't require knowledge of ArmA AI tweaking. I know there are mods that are required to be set up/tweaked to work correctly.

An additional question:

Should I avoid combining AI mods even if they are not listed here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152461-Overall-Mod-compatibility-aka-Will-Mods-A-and-B-work-togheter as conflicting?

Here are AI mods I found on Armaholic, sorted by hits, descending, first 5 pages:

TPW

TMR

ASR

Fire-Fight Improvement System

Authentic Gameplay Modification

bCombat infantry AI Mod

TPWCAS A3 - AI Suppression System

Vcom AI

I prefer realism rather than... something else :)

Be aware that running AI mods with campaigns can alter the campaign (unless it was designed with that AI mod in mind).

The 'easiest' one to use would be ASR_AI in my opinion - doesn't fuck with AI waypoints or higher-level behaviour.

AGM is ACE-like but again would probably affect the campaign you are playing... for this I would try TMR first.

IMO bCombat is the best 'overall' AI mod.. have not yet tried vCom AI

Be aware that running AI mods with campaigns can alter the campaign (unless it was designed with that AI mod in mind).

The 'easiest' one to use would be ASR_AI in my opinion - doesn't fuck with AI waypoints or higher-level behaviour.

AGM is ACE-like but again would probably affect the campaign you are playing... for this I would try TMR first.

Thank you for your input, SavageCDN!

I'm going to try the mods in that order. I think I'll try them with the infantry showcase mission to see whether the issue of AI going long-range terminator is fixed or at least less severe.

To be honest I think cranking down the the difficulty settings in game will be a much easier way of configuring the AI difficulty, but it's up to you.

I've been using ASR AI/B-Combat/TMR & TPW's line of sight modifier module for CQB and found its my best Arma AI experience. Iam pretty sure they don't conflict in any substantial way, but I could also be an idiot.

Would bCombat be good with the campaign?

I have not yet played the campaign so I can't say for sure. bCombat uses it's own danger.fsm and other changes that can affect how the AI react in situations... if the campaign relies on the AI performing 'standard' BIS behaviour it might not be ideal... or it might be better!! Only way to really know is to try it out in a mission.

I have not yet played the campaign so I can't say for sure. bCombat uses it's own danger.fsm and other changes that can affect how the AI react in situations... if the campaign relies on the AI performing 'standard' BIS behaviour it might not be ideal... or it might be better!! Only way to really know is to try it out in a mission.

One more question. All the usermade missions, is it better to just use the vanilla AI or would any AI mod work? I figure the user made missions aren't as complicated as the campaign.

Again it depends on how the mission is made... if the author has the AI doing very specific things and (as an example) one particular AI has to stand at that spot until a trigger fires or something similar.. then AI mods that alter behaviour can have a negative effect on the mission... as that particular AI guy might have moved off somewhere to support his buddies, etc. Your 'safest' bet for AI mod is ASR_AI in my opinion.

Some missions like Domination you can use a more complicated AI mod like bCombat as the enemies in that mission don't have to behave in an 'exact' way for the mission to work.

Again it depends on how the mission is made... if the author has the AI doing very specific things and (as an example) one particular AI has to stand at that spot until a trigger fires or something similar.. then AI mods that alter behaviour can have a negative effect on the mission... as that particular AI guy might have moved off somewhere to support his buddies, etc. Your 'safest' bet for AI mod is ASR_AI in my opinion.

Some missions like Domination you can use a more complicated AI mod like bCombat as the enemies in that mission don't have to behave in an 'exact' way for the mission to work.

I can second Savage's recommendation of ASR_AI. Just recently played the Bootcamp campaign with ASR_AI on and it was fine and it doesn't seem to add a huge CPU penalty for the extra behavior.

I also like VTS_Duckhunt, which increases the AI's infantry engagement ranges by modifying the vanilla weapon data so that the AI knows that it can be used at greater ranges (it doesn't actually change the range of the weapons, it just lets the AI know it can use it from further away). It's not an AI mod, but I thought it worth mentioning if you're looking for more challenge from the AI in the campaign missions.

I see. Im sorry but I have just one more question. In Arma 2 I used ASR_AI and TPW suppression mod together. Would using the arma 3 version of TPW in combination be 'safe" with ASR_AI so that suppression is a thing? Or is it better to just use ASR_AI by itself. I just want to have a semi realistic AI in my campaigns but I dont want to break something by accident

You should be OK using TWPCAS and ASR_AI together although I have not really tried both in Arma 3 yet.. but in Arma 2 they were a perfect combination :)

Just make sure to disable any overlapping features (ie: if they both add a throw smoke feature disable that feature on one of the mods).

You should be OK using TWPCAS and ASR_AI together although I have not really tried both in Arma 3 yet.. but in Arma 2 they were a perfect combination :)

Just make sure to disable any overlapping features (ie: if they both add a throw smoke feature disable that feature on one of the mods).

Thank you for the info! You said Bcombat was the "best" in your opinion. Would using AI mods like that only work in a mission I make myself with Bcombat enabled? if not when would those be used? I only play Arma 3 solo because I am not in a group nor do I have any friend who actively play it. Because I want to try out the thousands of user made missions. If not I'll just stick with ASR_AI and TWPCAS.

No you can use bCombat mod in any mission just load it up with your other mods... just be aware that it may affect missions in an unintended way (although I find this is rare). ASR_AI and TPWCAS are great because neither of them fiddle with AI waypoints or affect group behaviour (well... ASR_AI does have a radio feature with allows groups to share information within a certain distance).

For reference

For what your asking I would highly recommend getting this:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22592

I edited the mod for myself and my buddy i play with and I only have running the

Units reacting realistically to suppressive fire by ducking and seeking cover (TPW EBS).

Units reacting to falls and bullet hits by falling to the ground (TPW FALL).

Units continuing to bleed from injuries, resulting in decreased mobility and eventually incapacitation and death if not treated (TPW BLEEDOUT).

The bleedout is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can hit a guy in the leg or wherever and if he has no med kit to treat himself he will bleed to death, you can stand there and watch them doing a test, wound the AI, and they will like limp, sometimes get slow, or after so many seconds that happens then they fall to the ground acting really hurt and cant move like, and then they stop, with sniper rifles long range like the m200 cheytech I use alot, i hit a guy in the leg from 800m away and watched him limp, and then fall, and the basically crawl, he stopped crawling after about a min.

The direct shots from the same gun about 600-900m were 1 shot kills.

For other weapons the 7.62 is usually 2 shots and their down, the 5.56 its a 2-4 shots, for grenades and GL's I use:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21785

It has fragmentation blast in there, which seriously ups the realism of the damage, it will kill an enemy, or wound him everytime, will even blow him over, But i understand that the vanilla game isn't doing these things, so in the meantime this fixes it for me.

And a compilation of AI mods

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175400-AI-Compilation-List-of-Addons-Mods-Scripts-amp-Misc&p=2656299#post2656299