Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

Set weather progression via matrix: tort_weatherMatrix

Hi guys,

my other dynamic weather script is based on randomness; I had the idea to make it easy to define a whole weather progression via a matrix; so I just wrote this script. I hope it's useful. It supports overcast, fog and wind. It doesn't touch rain; rain is handled by ArmA.

Best is, I explain from an example what it does:

0 = [
   8,   [10,05,80],
   9,   [40,01,20],
   9.5, [30,05,40],
  17,   [35,04,90],
  22,   [40,03,90],
   8,   [50,50,70],
  12,   [10,50,80],
  16,   [30,77,90],
  17,   [30,77,90]
] execVM "\@tort_WeatherMatrix\script\tort_WeatherMatrix.sqf";

- At 8 o'clock (ingame time), overcast is at 10%, fog at 5%, wind 80%.

- At 9 o'clock, overcast is at 40%, fog at 1%, wind 20%.

- At 9:30, overcast is at 30%, fog at 77%, wind 30%.

- The example above defines 2 days and then restarts.

- the Addon versions userconfig has no inner brackets.

- [...]

You probably understand how it works. I wanted it to be easy to understand. After the "17, [30,77,90]", it starts at the beginning.

For the weather, as you may know ArmA uses values 0-1 internally, I chose to use 0-100 for the ease of use, so you can use integer.

So what happens if my mission starts at 08:30?

Weather will start at the right point in between. 8:30 would be exactly in the middle of the first 2 values, you will have an overcast 25, fog 3 and wind 50 at mission start.

"20 percent overcast, but I see no clouds!!!22111%(/§%/!""

An overcast level of 20 (0.2 in ArmA internally) does not mean you will see a cloud coverage of 20%. Because 0.2 in ArmA is still no clouds. ArmA cloud coverage is not linear.

Have fun,

Tortuosit

Download:

[v0.9.2] https://www.dropbox.com/s/msgiqoy10sygywf/%40tort_WeatherMatrix_0.9.2.7z

[v0.9.1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kjck3jy0f0juk0/%40tort_WeatherMatrix_0.9.1.zip

Changes:

[v0.9.2] Negative values introduce randomness: 8, -50, -80, 10 means: At 8 o'clock, max. 50% clouds, max. 80% fog, 10% wind.

[v0.9.1] Added Addon version: Copy new userconfig over eventually existing old userconfig. Be precise in keeping commas as they are, when changing config file. Do not leave values out because it has to be in order.

Edited by tortuosit

Version 0.9.1

- Added addon version.

Userconfig file for Addon version looks like this:

WeatherMatrix[] = {

8,   60,  0, 50,
9,   80, 10, 50,
9.5, 22,  5, 41,
10,  40,  0, 50,
11,  40,  0, 50,
12,  90,  0, 80,
14.7,50,  0, 50,
22,  60,  0, 50

};

Be precise in keeping the commas as they are, when changing config file. Last entry has no comma! Do not leave values out because it all has to be in order.

For instance, the following example would be bad, the addon would struggle, because 9 in line 2 of the matrix would be taken as the wind value for the first line. 80 would be regarded as 80 o'clock then.

BAAAAAADMATRIX!!!![] = {

8,   60,  0,
9,   80, 10, 50,
9.5, 22,  5, 41

};

Edited by tortuosit

Version 0.9.2

- Negative values introduce randomness: 8, -50, -80, 10 means: At 8 o'clock, max. 50% clouds, max. 80% fog, 10% wind.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hi! would like to get a button that randomizes the weather and add the possibility to make the rain and wind interact and set the wiew distance to much limited and that it rains sideways and the rain somehow form dropplets on the glass of the sights.

Maybe add some fogg to even moderate rain and some sound of footsteps when walking.

Came up with a little thing :Why don`t you add some sort of Uniform Spawn Script that change the uniform to a dark Boonie Hat during and for some duration after rain,to simulate a wet condition?

Maybe a change to the Tracks ,more mudd ?

Windshear? (90*degree shift).Winds more powerfull out at Sea?

What about localized areas? You would need to change Ghille Suit to match terrain.....

Make night darker due to the rain.

Make the rocks in the vicinity match his dark clothing.Textures...

when Prone....

Make this an addon....Thank you:)

would like to get a button that randomizes the weather and add the possibility to make the rain and wind interact and set the wiew distance to much limited and that it rains sideways and the rain somehow form dropplets on the glass of the sights.

Maybe add some fogg to even moderate rain and some sound of footsteps when walking.

Came up with a little thing :Why don`t you add some sort of Uniform Spawn Script that change the uniform to a dark Boonie Hat during and for some duration after rain,to simulate a wet condition?

Maybe a change to the Tracks ,more mudd ?

Windshear? (90*degree shift).Winds more powerfull out at Sea?

What about localized areas? You would need to change Ghille Suit to match terrain.....

Make night darker due to the rain.

Make the rocks in the vicinity match his dark clothing.Textures...

when Prone....

As for the droplets, TPW_MODS. As for the rest; you ask about things way off from the scope of this addon/script, also way off from what ArmA is capable to offer. The idea of this script was just to show the concept, its very barebones, it may help mod makers to easily define a weather progression; I made it an Addon just in case anyone needs it. Was not supposed to be a life simulator.

Randomizing weather instantly is something interesting for my other script/addon; but I'll have to look at GUI interaction first.

Edited by tortuosit

I'm surprised there are not more comments regarding your little weather program. I like it a lot. Maybe it just works so good there is no need for any discussion....:p

Anyway I want to ask, I can scroll and use the supports menu to access any option I want in SP but I do not seem to be able to get the supports option in MP. Am I missing something?

As far as critique, Is it possible to slow the weather transition? It seemed to get to another weather pattern to quickly. Is there a way I can adjust how this happens?

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply, I was in my holidays. Also hard times for ArmA, because my computer is still broken and I do not play ArmA currently (I miss it).

I will have to look for the MP issue/menu, I am not so much an MP gamer. As for the too quick weather transition, can I have an example of your matrix you used - and where/what time did it (what exctly) happen?

As for the support menu I remember, it is not an MP issue. It e.g. does not appear in Rydygiers Hetman mission and I did not yet find the reason why. It must be something about conflicting support menu creation inside both, mod and mission. Will look again.

Hey dude, have you made some progress on the addon version? I´m still playing with your latest files, please let me know when you have something new there :)