Sign in to follow this  
Rasa-be

Terribly slow server browser

Is anyone else experiencing an extremely slow server browser since GS got nuked from the game?

Also, what is needed in the server setup to make the server report to steam serverlist?

Also you can not join non dedicated server, even when you type in the ip.

To me, just based on what I see in the ArmA client, it looks like Steam is providing a complete server list, upon every refresh, and then the ArmA3 client is filtering locally rather than submitting the filter to Steam and having it return a pre-filtered list. So lets say there are 3000 servers, you're downloading the information for all 3000 servers, then pinging them?, and then it filters that list based on your filter criteria. I would think it should submit your criteria along with the list request so that Steam returns only the 300 servers that match your query. Even when factoring in server load, obtaining a pre-filtered list from the Steam servers should be faster than providing a complete list and expecting the client to filter locally.

And even if it is filtering locally, why should it take so long to obtain a list of 3000 servers and then filter locally? I wonder what's in the package... Let's say it's a 200B package per server, at 3000 servers, that's a ~600KB package. It's not a small package but not very large. Is it pinging every one of them prior to displaying them to see if it matches the criteria? I wonder if it would be best to display the list pre-ping (with a "2500" for the ping) first, then ping the results in a separate thread and update the display as the results are made available...with priority given to the servers that the user is actually 'viewing' in the list (3000 results, user's 'view' includes servers 1100-1150, prioritize those above others in the list).

I would like to have this looked into. If you're not at the top of the list, it progressively takes longer and longer for your server to be displayed in the results window which is going to take it's toll on small servers.

Edited by skruis

There are countless threads about this guys, this is not new