Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

Dynamic weather script and addon: tort_DynamicWeather

Version 1.2.2

Dropbox problems currently...

Changes:

- (Addon version) Persistent info display (toggable, see 0-8-1-1), more info.

Edited by tortuosit

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Version 1.2.3

- Added some simple random gust change into script and addon. I'm not sure if setGusts has an effect currently.

- improved the menu and info screen. Added templates menu.

To understand the menu terminology:

"Trend": will leave weather as it is, but immediately trend to chosen direction.

"Preset": will change weather abruptly, but all the rest stays as it is (trend, minima/maxima, randomness).

"Template": Will abruptly change weather and re-define every other aspect (trend, minima/maxima, randomness).

You can see the results in the info monitor.

Edited by tortuosit

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

can you please make some new screenshots for your addon? it looks like a cadburys AD :P

Will do. What is a "cadburys AD"? (I'm not a native english speaker)

EDIT: I added some screenshots to the first posting as requested. Have no time for advanced editing now, holidays. I'll be back mid next week.

Minimum update, no new version number. I just fixed a storm preset (less fog).

http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/26279072/file.html

I want to put some more intelligence in fog. I.e. Storm and rain + fog is not OK. But fog is welcome when sun shines after rain. But I must really look that things don't get too complicated.

And well, it has some UI support now. I don't want to do fancy UI things. After all this is designed to do its job in the background.

Edited by tortuosit

With this picture I explain you what the info monitor shows:

unbenanntdkpxw.png

RND 8/1 percent means:

8 percent chance of next weather being completely random INSIDE the borders

1 percent chance of next weather being completely random in the full range [0-1]. i.e. you can see that fog is limited to MAX:0.5. This would not be respected.

OVC=Overcast

WND = wind strength

WGU = Gusts level

WDIR = wind direction

What you see e.g. in OVC is:

[MINIMUM BORDER] [Current level (green)]->[Target level until end of cycle] [MAXIMUM BORDER]

Edited by tortuosit

Version 1.2.5

- minimal changes to some presets

- rain is now controlled by script (but also by Arma at times), it has an own rain thread(script). More wind, more possible variation. Its just a first test and playground. Infomonitor (0-8-1-1) shows, if script or ArmA has control.

"Downside" of the rain script: Files now must be in A3\@tort_dynamicweather (don't rename the folder). Otherwise I'd have to use 2 different scripts for mod and script version, I do not want this.

Version 1.2.6

- Minor bug fixes, code cleanup, Fix: "Unpredictable" template has not been called.

Please take note: @AGM (Authentic Gameplay modification mod) has an option "Hide command menu" which prevents the support menu of being shown (0-8), which my mod version uses.

More possibilities and more complexity. I love command lines *eg*. Keep in mind the arguments are pretty much optional, the script creates decent weather per default with no args at all.

In the next version I will introduce an additional (optional) array with minimum/maximum values - exclusively for the random events. I.e. this way you can define in what range the random weather events will be.

Example. You will be able to express the following:

Weather is overall cloudy, rainy and windy, but with "10% probability at any weather cycle" it may become sunny, with a bit of fog and no wind or rain.

Edited by tortuosit

Version 1.2.7

- Script version

The random events can now be exactly defined via min/max arrays. They overwrite the general minimum/maximum values. Currently only available in script version because it sucks a bit to put such things into userconfig. Internal mod presets may use it. I know the command line can be complicated, but I couldn'r resist. I prefer possibility of expression over ease of use.

Expression in words:

Let the weather be sunny...

0 = ["sunny",

...and stay constantly sunny...

"constant",

...20% chance per cycle that random events will be...

[0.2, 0,

...this or this or this weather (optional)...

[0.6,0.6],[0.9,1],[0,0,0.7,0.7,0,1,0,1]], // [minOvercast,maxOvercast,minFog,maxFog,minWind,maxWind,minRain,maxRain]

...while moving between weather events, take minimum 0.1 and maximum 0.3 steps per 30 minutes...

[0.1, 0.3, 30],

...general min/max values

[0, 0.8, 0, 0.6, 0, 1, 0, 1], // [minOvercast,maxOvercast,minFog,maxFog,minWind,maxWind,minRain,maxRain]

...no debug messages..

...script choose a random seed...

...no delay of script...

0] execVM "\@tort_DynamicWeather\script\tort_DynamicWeather.sqf";

As formatted code:

0 = [
    "sunny",
    "constant",
    [0.2, 0,
         [0.6,0.6],
         [0.8,1],
         [0,0,0.7,0.7]
    ],
    [0.1, 0.3, 30],
    [0, 0.8, 0, 0.6, 0, 1, 0, 1],
] execVM "\@tort_DynamicWeather\script\tort_DynamicWeather.sqf";

unbenannt9wq5r.png

Edited by tortuosit

Any plans on making this multiplayer compatible? Or can anybody confirm it is compatible?