olds

Real Armor Mod

Unless there's a hidden weapon I'm missing, all Arma 3 tanks use the same 120mm gun & ammo:rolleyes:. I calculate its sabot penetration as 756mm (RHA) at point blank (caliber=30 UB).

This addon could help you testing penetration not just at pointblank but also at range

Thanks for your patience. 0.0.4 Alpha is ready on the front page.

---Changelog---

Alpha 0.0.4

• Tweaked vehicles to make them more vulnerable to penetrating damage (particularly APC's). This also makes them slightly more vulnerable to non-penetrating damage, but I think the net result is more realistic.
  • zeroed MBT passThrough, but retained on APC HitFuel (altho it diminishes the effect of armor thickness; you could even make this value higher to reflect sensitive fuel tanks I suppose)
  • increased (weakened) explosionShielding on APCs
  • Discovered adding caliber causes missile bugs and removed all missiles from mod for time being. :( They still work more realistically than they used to, but they do not use precise penetration values as the properly working weapons do.

----------------

A note on the missiles & rockets situation:

Due to an earlier mistake I failed to catch, I only recently realized that penetration doesn't work with rockets or missiles as it does with other ammo types. I removed my rocket/missile edits as there is no way to give them precise penetration values at this point. These weapons still work somewhat better than they used to in a vague sort of way--loosely respecting armor values.

I logged the (relatively simple) bugs that are causing the problem on the front page and I encourage you to help out the mod by upvoting them. Although I thought I'd be able to pull everything off without resorting to scripted solutions, I don't think there's any way around that unless BIS makes some fixes.

Bakerman has kindly offered to help with one of his AIS mods and I will be looking into that next.

Barring that I'd say we're on our way to a beta release. Regular projectile weapons are behaving decently and--while there are undoubtedly vehicle tweaks to do--the combat results are pretty reasonable. Because I can't drill down into the armor and hitpoint details of the A3 vehicles, there's only so far we can take the realism with those. I will have somewhat higher expectations from the A2 ports once I move onto that part (for the NAPALM mod).

Cheers

Edited by Olds

New mod or update v0.0.4 alpha available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@realarmor.png

@ Olds;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hi

Just noticed that tanks are almost invincible against AT mines also... MBT-s completly.

Is there any server key for this mod in the future?

PwS automatically signs mods and generates public server keys if they are missing, to ensure full multiplayer compatibility for every modification.

@realarmor.png

Is this mod still working? Since the new patch changes a lot on armor elements.

http://dev.arma3.com/spotrep-00019

I haven't dug through the config changes yet. But a cursory test shows everything working as normal.

(Sorry for the lack of updates--I've gone underground trying to collaborate on a new feature-set.)

Was indeed wondering with todays patch if the Slammer UP is still up to par with the other tanks using this mod. Looks like lots of extra armor-plating, sacrificing the bigger gun. (It does have HEAT though! Oo)

HEAT shells, the ultimate CQB solution, now in a store near you!

Looks like all tanks now have HEAT, with the T-100 boasting some pure HE as well.

HEAT shells, the ultimate CQB solution, now in a store near you!

...more on such matters shortly...:868:

One small step for Bakerman, one giant leap for Real Armor Mod!

RAM: HEAT & Advanced Armor Upgrade

lvsDjhg.jpg

Armor nerds rejoice! Thanks to a brilliant scripted contribution from community member Bakerman:w:, RAM and Arma 3 are about to enter an unprecedented new era of armor realism!

The next version of RAM will enable realistic HEAT warheads and a full range of advanced tank armor: composite, ERA, etc! This is the feature set I had hoped for when I started this process. While there's room for future enhancements, all basic features will finally be present.:icon_w00t:

Added features:

• Full ballistic penetration sim for Rockets & Missiles (same capabilities as Bullets & Shells).
  • ATGM's will be assigned detailed penetration characteristics.
  • HEAT warheads and their vulnerability to advanced armor (composites & ERA) is modeled in detail.*
  • KE, HE, & HEAT rounds and their response to armor will all be properly differentiated.
  • Advanced armors and armor-like effects can be added to new/ported vehicles: composites, ERA, diesel fuel cells, slatted armor, and more!*

Current limitations:

• Advanced armor will generally only appear in ports (remember, we can't edit armor for binarized assets!)
  • ERA does not currently deplete
  • ERA-over-composite armor is not fully represented (only the ERA will affect the HEAT warhead, composite armor underneath is treated as regular armor)

I'm naturally cautious with scripts due to performance concerns, but I am happy to report that this one is very lean and efficient--I have yet to see an FPS drop during stress testing.

*Armor-nerdese: armor can now be differentiated between TE-KE & TE-CE--within the full context of the Arma 3 ballistic sim (i.e. deflection, impact angle, etc. are all respected).

** As a result of these advanced features, RAM will now require the CBA_A3 mod as a prerequisite. (If you're using mods like ALiVE, you already have this :))

Release estimate: later this week if all goes well

Edited by Olds

^^Legend :)

Awesome. Sadly this means that it won´t work for the vanilla tanks? BIS, please do something about that.

Brilliant. Naive question, does this mean we can better model side, vs Frontal, Top back armour values etc ?

Will vehicle modders need to add your scripts to their mods or can it be done "centrally" ?

Will any modification to weapons systems be needed - i.e. Modded ATGM's ?

Really looking forward to getting this in and making Armour more of a Challenge !

SJ

Brilliant. Naive question, does this mean we can better model side, vs Frontal, Top back armour values etc ?
You can model the Fire Geometry in all the detail you want -- every angle, every thickness, every weakspot. You are not restricted to preset "facing" values (like old Arma 2 ACE, for example). Of course, that means you need access to the P3D so it needs to be either a new vehicle or an A2 port. Eventually, I also plan to provide a whole new set of BISURF materials covering a wide range of special armors: various generations of "Chobham" composites, Soviet composites, slat armor, diesel fuel cells, generic engine block, etc.*

Will vehicle modders need to add your scripts to their mods or can it be done "centrally" ?
If I understand your question, modders don't need to add anything to their scripts. The user just needs to install RAM. Modders *will* need to modify any new weapons they create to work properly. Shells & Bullets will work without modification, but Rockets & Missiles will only sort-of work unless they are modified.

Will any modification to weapons systems be needed - i.e. Modded ATGM's ?
(See above)

Really looking forward to getting this in and making Armour more of a Challenge !
Tanks are generally much tougher to kill. This will be especially noticeable with the Arma 2 era vehicles. My hunch there is that people will be surprised how strong the tanks are from the front, and how weak they are from the sides, top, and rear.

*My research focus is on 1970's-1980's era, modders who have researched more recent armor can PM me if they'd like to suggest additional armor types. Make sure you have an estimate of the net TE-KE & TE-CE of the armor you would like included.

Tanks are generally much tougher to kill. This will be especially noticeable with the Arma 2 era vehicles. My hunch there is that people will be surprised how strong the tanks are from the front, and how weak they are from the sides, top, and rear.

Just as it should be!

Just a question - did you try and test any sloped armor plates in Arma 3 and seen any inconsitencies? I've set up a vehicle with sloped armor, and the gun i was using would have been enough to penetrate material at the LOS thickness, but it didn't ingame. *scratching head* Gun is 245@ 0m, Armor is 150mm @45° , so 212mm.

I think it can be caused by random factors. Some rounds may deflect upon impact, some may turn towards sloped armour making it less efficient.

RAM Release Alpha 0.0.5

I tried signing this with a key - let's see if that worked.

Missiles & Rockets are in with proper penetration mechanics!

I still get some inconsistent damage results - I think this is in part due to the way BIS does Fire Geometry or some slight bugginess in the local damage system. Penetrating shots to the hull can end up not damaging HitHull/HitFuel when they clearly should--and sometimes they'll even damage the turret(?!).:confused: (Honestly I don't think I'll find out what's really going on until I get around to creating some test vehicles of my own. My current hunch is that there are hitpoint vertices that should be assigned differently. :headscratch:).

I'm still playing with overall vulnerability levels for the vehicles - the tanks may be a touch wimpy in this version.

There is no ERA or advanced armor in this one because--of course--BIS does not use differentiate such material types. All I could do for vanilla A3 vehicles is change, say, every "armour" surface in the game to be composite, and that seemed silly. So I didn't do it. To take advantage of those features you need your own vehicles or ports. PM me if you want me to show you how to use it.

Remember, this requires CBA_A3!

AIS_Penetration (RAM variant) is courtesy of Bakerman and is subject to his licensing. And CBA--of course--is subject to its own license. Do not monkey or redistribute their work without author permission.

You did not include the public bikey which serveradmins will need to allow your mod on their server. Maybe you can provide a downloadlink for it?

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Olds: Wonderful. Is it much work to modify arma3 orginal content? Or is it too much work to bring out 2 versions of the mod? Would be cool if some devs like the guys from BW Mod would work with you. I use tanks quite often and its horrible to get disabled/destroyed from everything out there from the first shot.