Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Not just yet. But Next Gen is Possible.

Well i've been bored. So i started looking around. I came across a video, which showed a some amazing graphics and capabilities. I then realised, it was VBS3, which BIS works on. I came to wonder, its 2013-2014 almost, and DICE killed it with Frostbite 3. Now, all these next gen consoles are popping up. What if BIS jumped on ship. Now, i'm not saying Arma should be on Console, because that's a terrible idea in my opinion, just too many controls to deal with unless they created a UI much like SOCOM. Back to the point, why not use these advances with Arma 3 to make it look even better? Make it look so real, and immersive? Ok, now, obviously, not now. Arma 3 is no where near complete, and has tons of issues which need sorting out, but somewhere on the list, should be a thought to allow all of the Simulweather capabilities, and maybe even some of the VBS3 capabilities to create the most amazing Arma game we, or any new person has EVER seen. I mean come on, you guys cant tell me Arma isn't Unique as an FPS product. Not many games go so detailed in to Combined Arms like Arma has, and will improve on.

Here, take a look at the video i saw.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

1. Oh look, another Arma vs. VBS thread!

2. You don't think Arma 3 look good enough already?

I then realised, it was VBS3, which BIS works on

Brace yourself, because the horde is coming for you!

This is not an Arma 3 VBS thread, it mentions VBS3 yes, were focusing on "Capabilities" of the game "Engine" here. Do i not think Arma 3 looks good? Never said it didn't. I love BIS's work since Pre Alpha to now, along the way with much constructive criticism. But, i think that it can be Outstanding instead of just good enough.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Bohemia Interactive Simulations works on the VBS line. ArmA 3 is developed by Bohemia Interactive a.s.

They are run as separate companies and each has their own CEO.

Hmmm... Do you think it would be remotely possible if BI were to request say, a reasonable upgrade in capabilities, to make more things possible within the current Real Virtuality Engine that Arma 3 uses?

You should research the relation between the two companies first DarksideOfficial.

But VBS is a good way to tell those people that think Arma needs to ditch the RV engine to stop with their nonsense.

Your right Progamer, i've another Tab open right now doing some research on the matter. But your correct. The RV engine is actually quite the tool if you can see it's full spectrum of capabilities.

Thoughts?

Its a showcase of what the Rv engine can do in a different scenario thats all , if you check the official site of BI you will see a patter right back from OFP :

Game > stable > VBS upgrade

It has happened with every iiteration of the the game and no doubt will continue to happen , Arma3 is a whole different ball game to VBS and always will be, both have different Development needs and budgets

VBS > cutomer wants specifics > customer pays > customer gets

Arma > customer wants a sandbox> customer gets > customer wants specifics > customer makes themselves.

Hmmm... I see what your saying there, very true. Though, that's not to say Arma couldn't use a few Engine enhancements to make an even better experience on the Arma end of the RV Engine, to make it slightly more fanatical. Neither would getting a little more out of the capabilities hurt either companies, customer requests, or what the customer gets. Could only have a positive outcome in my opinion.

They definitely exchange technology and models, but VBS is designed for military training. Some of the tech is licensed from other companies. If Bohemia Interactive were to start designing both programs to be exactly like each other, it would be wasted money. Why develop two separate products that are essentially the same thing? VBS is designed for specific military needs that, as Sealife stated, are paid for.

what is it in the video you would like ?

its already in arma just dumbed down for the reality of the customer base being game players not simulated battlefields for pre and post op training on a lan party set yp rather than the net , altho probably they do use net in VBS these days who knows :)

you can create that video in arma right now and equally you couldnt get 100 folk on a server in vbs in that secen and fly off 40 km and fight nor could you in arma , it needs to be dummed down its a showcase

I've read up on their site, the engine supports 1000KM x 1000Km, possibly even in High res terrains, not only that, but it's also stated the ability to have many players over the net. Here's a quote.

"VBS3 provides greater performance on existing hardware and networks, allowing for an increased number of clients and AI entities. Simulation and AAR clients are new VBS3 instances that can be set up to reduce load on the server. They can be thought of as “dedicated clientsâ€. These additional clients are configured by the administrator and can greatly improve network performance. The average performance improvement on larger training scenarios has been registered between 500% & 2000%."

Now, i'm sure that Arma 3 will already get better performance over time. As of now, the improvement from Alpha to now is pretty polished if you ask me.

its just technical jargon for headless client and other things already in arma

arma 3 can do 1000 km + its simply a case of whats the point ? high res terrain from above already in arma high res on the ground already in albeit still being improved .

its the same for every iteration , go read up on ex community members who fell for the "pretty things " , theres no community to brag about they all back here posting in arma forums .

only people who benefitted are those who got V4 or have messed with Phys xand now have a head start on people when and if V4 comes to a3 apart from that its all moot , cause VBS for formatted regimented training in a clean environment , the best way for a gamer to get the nearest and cheapest is Join shack tactical or some such clan/group otherwise put you money in an ISA account :) .

VBS is designed for specific military needs that, as Sealife stated, are paid for.

VBS has a whole host of features that do nothing to improve its utility as a military trainer (speaking of which, I've never once heard of anyone actually using VBS as a trainer).

<--- This one is particularly absurd.

Some of the tech is licensed from other companies.

Almost every game ever uses tech licensed from other companies: Havok, PhysX, SpeedTree, Scaleform, Miles, Bink, FMod, Wwise, etc. So I'm not really sure what point you are making here.

Just a question for you: Have you seen the price to pay to get any sort of VBS licence? It's pretty fucking expensive, to say the least. With all the money they rake in from governments and private owners they can afford to put all the things in the simulator (not game). A $60 game, however...

VBS has a whole host of features that do nothing to improve its utility as a military trainer (speaking of which, I've never once heard of anyone actually using VBS as a trainer).

<--- This one is particularly absurd.

Almost every game ever uses tech licensed from other companies: Havok, PhysX, SpeedTree, Scaleform, Miles, Bink, FMod, Wwise, etc. So I'm not really sure what point you are making here.

The US Army does.

speaking of which, I've never once heard of anyone actually using VBS as a trainer

LOL - good one

now look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS2 - scroll down to see VBS2 customers

and latest army which will be using VBS3 is the Swedish Armed Forces

Edited by RobertHammer

what about use search first? there is special thread only for VBS 1,2,3 ...

if you read the answers from BISIM developers in it, you would realize how very different the serious game and it's engine is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS1#VBS1_customers for more customers ... guess lot of you don't know that VBS is used also in civil space for emergency responders training ...

holy shite, this puts some top engines itno a shame out there! Btw somehow looks like far cry 4 trailer to me. Also BIS is not done with arma 3, so we can expect improvements like this next year, im sure.

At last seconds of the video, you can still se washed out terrain textures at distance, oh well :-/

Edited by NeuroFunker

still the blurry midrange textures. thst the biggest poroblem atm. cause its game relevant. all the shader and effects arent..

Those creeks would be useless even if they got them working in Arma3 because I doubt the AI would cross them.

Reflective water - Nice looking, But kinda holds no purpose other than looks. Rather effort went into something else.

Fog - Already got it

Sunlight - Already got it

High Detailed objects - I'm sure we can make object that detailed in Arma3

Those creeks would be useless even if they got them working in Arma3 because I doubt the AI would cross them.

Reflective water - Nice looking, But kinda holds no purpose other than looks. Rather effort went into something else.

Fog - Already got it

Sunlight - Already got it

High Detailed objects - I'm sure we can make object that detailed in Arma3

Under the artistic aspect, for a modder or a 3d artist, it's a pain in the arse know that this engine could handle these stuffs like reflective materials...

Or anyway anykinda of underground object. Omg, I had to model an entire hill to make a goddamn underground bunker system. That doesn't make sense and looks ugly (in facts I quitted working on that). Trenches would looks awesome as well as bunkers.

Well i've been bored. So i started looking around. I came across a video, which showed a some amazing graphics and capabilities. I then realised, it was VBS3, which BIS works on. I came to wonder, its 2013-2014 almost, and DICE killed it with Frostbite 3. Now, all these next gen consoles are popping up. What if BIS jumped on ship. Now, i'm not saying Arma should be on Console, because that's a terrible idea in my opinion, just too many controls to deal with unless they created a UI much like SOCOM. Back to the point, why not use these advances with Arma 3 to make it look even better? Make it look so real, and immersive? Ok, now, obviously, not now. Arma 3 is no where near complete, and has tons of issues which need sorting out, but somewhere on the list, should be a thought to allow all of the Simulweather capabilities, and maybe even some of the VBS3 capabilities to create the most amazing Arma game we, or any new person has EVER seen. I mean come on, you guys cant tell me Arma isn't Unique as an FPS product. Not many games go so detailed in to Combined Arms like Arma has, and will improve on.

Here, take a look at the video i saw.

Thoughts?

VBS3 is the reason we don´t have it. Because how do you justify corporations buying VBS3 if Arma 3 is identical in features and size? You can´t so what you do is nerf Arma 3 to create a separation of the two.

The existence of VBS3 is harming Arma 3 in my opinion.

when a new VBS arrives with new features, VBS3´s features might be present in Arma 4. So there´s always a gap.

Edited by RushHour

Yeah, I think that one of the features that A3 could use the most is the underground structures. Most of the other stuff is nice, but I don't know how relevant snow is for Altis.