Sign in to follow this  
l etranger

VTS Duck Hunt

Another Arma3 Addon that should not exist . . .

giphy.gif

Bored of duck hunting AI from medium / long range with your experienced team ? Then this addon could be usefull for you.

The objective was to make the AI closer to 1:1 with players ability. If you can shoot to kill from that far, so they can !

AI is now suppressing you for farther away, bringing a new dimension of tactical maneuvering and engagement decision.

This help the game to come closer to that :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YscfBIQRE1E

Exemple of VTS Duckhunt in action :

VTS DuckHunt : Version 01

-Increase AI range of engagement

-Does not change AI Skills, Behavior or Accuracy (only the AI Max Spot Distance)

-Only work on vanilla Arma 3 weapons used by AI (for now?)

Direct Download

Armaholic

Required Addons : None

Installation :

-Extract the folder into your Arma 3 installation.

-Launch Arma with the shortcut -mod=@VTS_DuckHunt

-It is only needed on the machine(s) where the AIs are handled (Host/Server and/or Headless client)

Edited by L etranger
  • Like 1

Awesome. I was just trying to create a mission in the editor the other night that would be similar to the type of firefights when I was in Afghanistan. Then I realized the a.i. wouldn't fight from mountain to mountain and it ruined my whole mission. This is exactly what I had in mind.

So it only works on Vanilla A3 weapons?

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Does this work on a dedi? Do all clients need it or just server side?

Does this work on a dedi? Do all clients need it or just server side?

Where the ai is handled. So host or dedi and/or headless client

So it only works on Vanilla A3 weapons?

Yes for now, the way BIS implemented effective range of weapons for AI is technically flawed and can even be heavily debated design wise. Right now if you fight AAF, FIA, NATO or CSAT or any units using their firearms the addon will make it works.

Edited by L etranger

Is this also for tanks and apcs and so on? For infantrie its like in the video shown: they dont wanna go forward and dont see the enemy clearly, they just fire in that direction they are thinking someone is. its different in arma, you really see that guy 800-1000m away and mostly wanna go there. But for vehicles i really would love this mod. cant be that a tank that is on alert dont fire 2000m away. @tm he only return fire, nothing else.

Is this also for tanks and apcs and so on? For infantrie its like in the video shown: they dont wanna go forward and dont see the enemy clearly, they just fire in that direction they are thinking someone is. its different in arma, you really see that guy 800-1000m away and mostly wanna go there. But for vehicles i really would love this mod. cant be that a tank that is on alert dont fire 2000m away. @tm he only return fire, nothing else.

Actually It does not support mounted weapon / vehicle turret, only infantry weapons.

Actually It does not support mounted weapon / vehicle turret, only infantry weapons.

Ouuuhhhh :(

great mod!

this have been a missing piece in in the puzzle for our group, so far.

is this needed for server and client side? or is it only needed on the server side if ai's are handled by the server it self?

great mod!

this have been a missing piece in in the puzzle for our group, so far.

is this needed for server and client side? or is it only needed on the server side if ai's are handled by the server it self?

Just where the AI is handled (host or dedicated or headless client or all, not an issue)

ok, the stock ai are stupid as f*ck and i is realy not playable for us who have left ACE and A2 as a realism community. With Zeus ai they do well with some tweeking, but we are talking retarded robots default form BIS here... Im trying to get your mod to work with the ALiVE mod, no succsess so far.

Interesting mod. I love the range the AI engage at, and there fast responses. Flip side; They have the same accuracy as if there were firing at 300m. If you ever going to update this mod, would love to see a change to there accuracy depending on there range and scope.

(P.S. Yes, i understand you would have to rewrite portions of the mod. I peaked ;p . But its such a good idea, and impacts the game play so much.)

Interesting mod. I love the range the AI engage at, and there fast responses. Flip side; They have the same accuracy as if there were firing at 300m. If you ever going to update this mod, would love to see a change to there accuracy depending on there range and scope.

(P.S. Yes, i understand you would have to rewrite portions of the mod. I peaked ;p . But its such a good idea, and impacts the game play so much.)

Which distance were you fighting at ? They don't have the same accuracy as shooting from 300M than 600M, try in regular or veteran difficulty. I can wipe a fireteam by myself in veteran with RCO from 700M. There is 3 tier for AI, short range, medium and long range, this mod only change weapon to be used on the long range tier with bigger distance. Everything before is still handled by BIS settings.

Yes! I love you etranger!

Is this change relatively simple to make? Is it a simple config tweak I could do with custom weapon mods(a.k.a. RobertHammer and Massi weapons, etc)?

Hope to see an upgrade very soon ! very useful mod !

Is this change relatively simple to make? Is it a simple config tweak I could do with custom weapon mods(a.k.a. RobertHammer and Massi weapons, etc)?

Not really complicated now that I have the good tuned valued, just big pain since you have to update all weapons config :/ which make it unfriendly for customs addons or other stuff. I wish we could have a setskill "maxrangeratio" script command ...

Hope to see an upgrade very soon ! very useful mod !

I plan to do a pass on static weapons and Vehicles turrets

We are using it on this Combined OP, you can see @33:00 Server settings at AI 0.5 Skill

How hard would it be to make a script based version of this? Would it be easier if there were no spawned AI?

Unfortunately this can't be achieved with scripting, which, design wise is opposite to sandbox friendly. (Because having a way to do it via script would have mean to be able to make stuff like that compatible to any addons, past, present and future)

Are there plans to support Massi's NATO weapon pack, as so many good units use these weapons.....?

I would say it's up to Massi to use long range param on his weapons configs or BIS to redesign the way AI know when to use weapon because currently it's only on the weapon and it does only make half sense. We should be able to increase/Reduce the range (via skill, or script command maybe with ratio...). Massi could make a optionnal pbo that increase the weapon range for AI on his config, but it takes time and effort.

Hello. Any chance You'll expand it to support addons?