Sign in to follow this  
ledhead900

[Help] Heli insertion not going to plan.

Hi, I'm having some troubles making my squad exit the helicopter and then proceed to the next waypoint.

I'm working a mission where you end up entering a helicopter it takes you to the LZ the squad will get out, but then the leader orders everyone to re enter the helicopter.

I have uploaded the mission file you can download that from Google Drive here. It is a heavy work in progress but just follow it along and don't play as the leader, you may check it out in the editor as well.

What I need to happen is the squad BlackFox needs to exit the helicopter and proceed too the current move waypoint, where I plan to trigger the heli to be sent away and destroyed and later spawned for extraction. (I am familiar with how do these other things, I also tried setting "GetIn" to false I tried some other methods but every time the units either exit the helicopter and do nothing or they get out and then get back in.)

Some help with this will make my day since this is currently stumping my progress.

You should use a transport unload waypoint instead of an unload waypoint. On the other hand, have you tried using allowgetin false and unassignvehicle commands for the squad? Combined with a land "get out" command for the chopper it seems to be way more reliable than waypoints imho.

... follow it along and don't play as the leader ...

Try these steps: (not guaranteed!)

- Place an empty H-Pad at the LZ.

- For the helo, create a transport unload WP onto the H-Pad.

- put (vehicle this) land "LAND"; in the onact.

- Give the players group a getOut waypoint very close to the TR-Unload WP.

- Sync the getOut WP with the TR-Unload WP.

- place any additional WP's (for the helo group w/e).

- Try it out

This should work, especially since the AI leader of the player group will give the disembark command, forcing the helo to land in any case.

Or you can always do what Grumpy Old Man suggested. This way you can even use unload or TR-Unload. Something along these lines:

_heloCrew = createGroup West;
_helo = [getMarkerPos "someMrk", markerDir "someMrk", "B_Heli_Transport_01_F", WEST] call BIS_FNC_spawnVehicle;
_lzPos = [someObject, 100 + (random 200), random 360] call BIS_fnc_relPos;
_hPad = createVehicle ["Land_HelipadEmpty_F", _lzPos, [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];

{[_x] joinSilent _heloCrew;} forEach crew (_helo select 0);
{_x assignAsCargo (_helo select 0); _x moveInCargo (_helo select 0);} forEach units (group player); 

_heloWp = _heloCrew addWaypoint [_hPad, 0];
_heloWp setWaypointType "TR UNLOAD";
_heloWp setWaypointBehaviour "CARELESS";
_heloWp setWaypointCombatMode "BLUE";
_heloWp setWaypointSpeed "FULL";
_heloWp setWaypointStatements ["true", "(vehicle this) LAND 'LAND';"];

waitUntil {isTouchingGround (_helo select 0)};
{unAssignVehicle _x; _x action ["eject", vehicle _x]; sleep 0.5;} forEach units (group player); 

waitUntil {({!(alive _x) || !(_x in (_helo select 0))} count units (group player)) == count units (group player)};
   _heloWp = _heloCrew addWaypoint [[0,0,0], 0];
_heloWp setWaypointType "MOVE";
_heloWp setWaypointBehaviour "CARELESS";
_heloWp setWaypointCombatMode "BLUE";
_heloWp setWaypointSpeed "FULL";
_heloWp setWaypointStatements ["true", "{deleteVehicle _x;} forEach crew (vehicle this) + [vehicle this];"];

deleteVehicle _hpad;

Edited by Iceman77

If you don't want to use a script to control waypoints, then try this. (Tested and working)

Create an MH9, name it MH9 and set it to flying. Set a waypoint to where you want it to disapear. (Not where you want to unload BlackFox)

Set the waypoint with this as the On ACT: This will remove the MH9.

{deleteVehicle _x} forEach (crew MH9)+[MH9];

Now create your BlackFox Units.

In the init of the leader put:

BlackFox = Group this; {_x moveincargo MH9} ForEach units group this;

This will move all BlackFox units into the MH9

Now for the leader, create a waypoint where you want to unload BlackFox and create another waypoint where you want them to move to after unloading. i.e. Beside the MH9 waypoint, so BlackFox will move to the same location.

In the On Act of the waypoint you want to unload BlackFox put this:

MH9 land "Land"; {unassignvehicle _x; dogetout _x} foreach units (BlackFox);

This will force MH9 to land on the Marker called "Land" and hoof out all BlackFox units.

And finally create an Helipad Invisible and call it "Land" and place this where you want the MH9 to unload BlackFox units. i.e. on the Leaders first waypoint.

When BlackFox is unloaded, it will have a waypoint already assigned

If you need a proof of Mission concept let me know.

Edited by Beerkan

Yet another helo insertion thread filled to the brim with all of the different ways lol.

Yet another helo insertion thread filled to the brim with all of the different ways lol.
Agreed!!

To be honest, BI should really have this sorted with the waypoints Transport Unload etc. But it's always buggy. Was the same in ArmA2.

Yeah. I wish I could simply place a damn TR Unload or even Unload WP, and have the helo drop all of it's cargo off. After the cargo is empty, proceed to the next WP(s). It really should be that simple.

Any clues on getting a group of choppers to land and stay put until needed.

The getout wp will get them down but then they refuse to do anything else.

I've held them by using this.

Heli1 setFuel 0;

on the waypoint to hold them, and when you want them,

Heli1 setFuel 1;

Crude but works.

dostop nameofhalo;
nameofhalo land "land";

this usually does the trick

I've tried that with choppers in the past, it's ok as long as they don't try and take off again while engines are still spinning down.

I haven't tried it in A3, I will take a look tonight.

I haven't tried the dostop nameofhalo;

I'll try that also.

If any of you have time try using the getout waypoint for choppers and if you can confirm if it's broken or not.

I do have a ticket for it. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16395 but so far it's only me reporting it.

Thanks guys. Grumpy Old mans method works fine when placed in a move waypoint.

Rather than name each vehicle I just made them a group.

{dostop vehicle _x;vehicle _x land "land";} foreach units blue

That left the issue of getting them going again.

What I end up doing is when I want then to move again I have to use a domove and the position of the next waypoint other wise they won't carry on.

Edited by F2k Sel

Cheers I'll check those out when I get home. I should add I already assign the squad to get in on a trigger near the task. As for the landing yes I did use a invisible heli pad and a script to land I believe it was "insertheli land" land";" no brackets on the ends. I liked the mission file if u want to check it out. They get in and out but get back in again

Cheers I'll check those out when I get home. I should add I already assign the squad to get in on a trigger near the task. As for the landing yes I did use a invisible heli pad and a script to land I believe it was "insertheli land" land";" no brackets on the ends. I liked the mission file if u want to check it out. They get in and out but get back in again

You can also try synchronizing the helos TR Unload waypoint with the groups get out waypoint, along with the land command. If leader is AI, it'll work as he'll automatically give the disembark order which forces the helo to land.

Edited by Iceman77

Your script in the trigger had a error and omission

hint "MotherGoose: Alright guy's time for you all to leave the nest! Stay on comms and oh, do try not get shot won't you!."; {unassignVehicle _x;doGetOut _x} forEach units BlackFox; BlackFox enableGunLights "ForceOn"; [insertHeli] allowGetIn false;

Heli now lands units get out and proceed on foot.

I also noticed in one trigger on act you were using a sleep command, that won't work in triggers.

Oooo thank you. The sleep command was a row. The sleep command was a test, I looked up the unassignvehicle just was not sure what that applied too since I did not assign them to the heli. The hints was a temp thing I was going try and figure out voice overs at some point. I'll give that fix a go tonight first need to patch up a couple way point bugs a tasks in the latest build This my first real mission too my other one was learning the basics of modules and squads.

---------- Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

What about doStop aswell? Wonder if that works at all.

Yes a had that but was considering a hot drop using GetOut so it hovered. That's the easy bit though. Just had to get the squad to continue the mission.

Yes a had that but was considering a hot drop using GetOut so it hovered. That's the easy bit though. Just had to get the squad to continue the mission.

I was reffering to F2's question :). Anyhow, there's a bunch of ways to do helo insertions. I'm sure with all of the info provided you'll be well on your way.

Edited by Iceman77

Thanks all I was doing was getting an empty chopper group back to their base and wait until needed so there's no waypoint to sync with.

dostop works fine it was just getting them moving again caused a bit of a problem but have them move to the next waypoint or join their own group fixes that.

Also sorry for hijacking the thread a little but didn't see the point in yet another chopper thread.

Sweet guys, got the guys to get out properly, I have two questions and won't start a new thread.

1.I need the InsertHeli to turn its headlights on while it lands (Now I can apply this to the trigger or the waypoint)

2. How can I set a formation type, Combat mode, speed for automatic without a human player giving the order, this is so once we all land they go into aware and full speed and engage at will.

EDIT:

For 2. I found this https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setSpeedMode & https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setCombatMode & https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setBehaviour & https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setFormation so that is solved.

Edited by ledhead900

For 1 feel free to upvote my feedback tracker issue.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15487

AI somehow confuses collision lights with vehicle lights and just won't use them properly, no matter if set to safe, careless etc.

I tried every single thing coming to my mind but I couldn't get it to work, all other vehicles that don't have collision lights work just fine.

The only solution right now would be to force a gamelogic to turn on the vehicle lights every few milliseconds, which is eating a hell of a lot performance and won't work too well if used on multiple choppers at once.

nul=[] spawn {while {true} do {gamelogic action ["lightOn", nameofchopper]; sleep 0.001};};

Would be great to see some votes for that issue, alone from a mission makers point of view.

What you did not mention yet. But is great in my opinion but requires you to record a chopper flightpath,

what i recommend anyway as the AI flying and landing is just annoying, is using a trigger with "UnitX action ["eject",HeliY];".

This way you just have to make sure to fly below a certain speed and height for a few sconds while recording your flightpath and then place the triggers in that area.

I didnt try the speed/Height values on land yet but i'd say below 3m and 30kmh should be fine.

Over water you can eject below 10m and 70kmh without taking damage.

I think it looks just so much better than the stiff flying of the AI.

Except the ejecting animation which makes you pop up next to the chopper.

I guess if you make the chopper stop moving for a few secs you could also use getout instead of eject.

Video

Edited by Dr.Proctor

Ahh yes unitCapture and unitPlay (assume that's what you mean). I try to avoid using those in any case, but it is nice to have a vehicle do exactly what you need it too :)

Edited by Iceman77

Yes. I really like to use them because i just hate how the AI flys ;)

Quick Video using it to dropoff guys on a building.

Guess i am going to use that to drop a recon team on one of the solar power tower :)

Sadly it only works well with the Hummingbird, the Ghosthawk kills them randomly...

Edited by Dr.Proctor