wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Is it possible to place down in the editor some military buildings and then ( I think ) with some gamelogic of some sort make the MP module recognize this location?

Thanks!

Not yet. Custom objectives is on the future feature list.

I know there is a lot going on under the surface here but startup time seems to be quite long, especially if all I am trying to do is preview a mission WIP I am working on. I know my PC isn't bleeding edge. AMD quad core @ 3.2 with 16GB of DDR3, Win 7 Pro 64 bit. During my first extended trial run I got laid down just the basics to get an ALiVE derived conflict going. The only units I placed manually was myself and a helicopter. It took a minimum of four minutes before anything even showed on the map and a solid 20 minutes before everything was established enough for them to start advancing on each other and fighting. No CQB, about 1600 total virtual units, marked area about 20% of Altis. This makes me wonder if there is a rhyme or reason to improving start up time... i.e., does it make sense to place OPCOMs first, for instance? A certain order that may be more optimal than another? Thanks in advance!

I know there is a lot going on under the surface here but startup time seems to be quite long, especially if all I am trying to do is preview a mission WIP I am working on. I know my PC isn't bleeding edge. AMD quad core @ 3.2 with 16GB of DDR3, Win 7 Pro 64 bit. During my first extended trial run I got laid down just the basics to get an ALiVE derived conflict going. The only units I placed manually was myself and a helicopter. It took a minimum of four minutes before anything even showed on the map and a solid 20 minutes before everything was established enough for them to start advancing on each other and fighting. No CQB, about 1600 total virtual units, marked area about 20% of Altis. This makes me wonder if there is a rhyme or reason to improving start up time... i.e., does it make sense to place OPCOMs first, for instance? A certain order that may be more optimal than another? Thanks in advance!

We have improved startup times significantly in our next patch that will be releasing soon, stay tuned.

We have improved startup times significantly in our next patch that will be releasing soon, stay tuned.

Many thanks! I love ALiVE! I had some incredible experiences yesterday just previewing a simple mission I had made for it (similar to your tutorial videos). I notice the OPCOM will assign player tasks too, which was a pleasant surprise and caused me to utilize much of my mission making time playing instead ;)

A couple of things I'd still like to know about:

1) If artillery is fired at virtual units on the other side of the map will they sustain damage?

2) I couldn't figure out how/where to get fast movers to work as CAS. Helicopters worked fine.

3) IF ALiVE is used in a team vs. team sort of scenario will it be possible to include team based CAS? I see no way to do this with the current system.

4) I spent some time leading a squad of AI (grouped to me) and noticed that at times they refused my orders. Is the profile system placing them under OPCOM command, as it appeared? If so what is the way to exclude them and/or include myself as part of said group for further tasks?

Excellent work so far, to the whole ALiVE dev team! All my other games, including A2/OA are now collecting virtual dust. A3+ALiVE has my full attention now. :)

Edited by Oktyabr

Hey Oktyabr!

Thank you for your feedback! As ARJay already mentioned we changed our init a bit and the modules are initialising before briefing now, so overall startup times is reduced heavily in upcoming update! To your questions, ad 1. atm not, Fast movers wont activate virtual units atm, as its to heavy on performance due to their high speeds - we plan to let tanks and AAA beeing activated in the near future, ad. 3. Combat support vehicles of a side are available to all players of this side, so if 2 friendly teams would be on different sides f.e. 1 on AAF (set friendly to BLUFOR) and the other one on BLU_F it works with the existing functionality for 2 friendly teams (different CS sides are possible out of the box, see Foursome MP Demo mish). Ad. 4. sounds like A3, very unlikely ALiVE.

See ya on the battlefield!

Highhead

Thanks for the reply! I wondered how such a system would work with fast moving objects like artillery rounds, jets, etc. I guess we can't have everything, eh? As for the update I am *very much* looking forward to it! With the weekend just around the corner I keep refreshing this thread with my fingers crossed! LOL! No hurries. :)

Got a small request: Would it be possible to get a "very low" flight altitude (say 25-50m) for the Support Transport?

Reason I ask is I tried to utilize zealot's Fast Rope script within ALiVE via support choppers, which works fine. Except I run out of rope before reaching the ground.

opfor light infantry battalions seem to have an awful lot of tank support. i'm guessing that the force postures aren't complete yet?

been having a blast screwing around with alive, thanks guys.

Wait a second.... is ALiVE disabling the save option? I've been looking around to find the solution and it seems someone had the same problem until they disabled ALiVE.

As it causes out of mem crashings on saving and only disabling autosaving seems to be bugged sadly, we had to until its fixed! You can enableSaving in init.sqf of mission though!

Hey guys, love the mod, but I was curious about artillery and does it actually fire if an artillery unit is placed onto the battlefield by the module. I ask because I am following around two MLRS's and they just seem to either be patrolling or moving around a small area.

opfor light infantry battalions seem to have an awful lot of tank support. i'm guessing that the force postures aren't complete yet?

been having a blast screwing around with alive, thanks guys.

As per the manual, these are combined arms battle groups based on GENFOR tactics so even a light inf based Bn sized unit will have some armour support. It's deliberately randomised though so you may get seemingly more at times.

AI won't use arty properly yet.

I read earlier that you can overwrite the default factions in ALiVE like BLU_F with mods and such like the Canadian Armed Forces Mod. How would I do that?

CAF_TW (woodland) and CAF_AR (arid) are the two factions you will need to use for CAF mod.

In the editor under your OPCOM module there is a section at the bottom for defining custom units, add the desired faction there. Also in any Military Placement, Military Civilian Placement, and CQB module you will need to add the CAF factions in the appropriate field.

A couple of requests and a question:

1) While modern day combined arms may comprise most generic units and strategies it would be nice to have the ability to restrain or modify their presence, perhaps with sliders? For example, if a mission maker wanted to set a small, elite, combine arms force against a much larger force of less experienced, less equipped infantry. Having a way to custom configure the presence of armor, air, mobile and mechanized infantry would be a nice thing to have, perhaps on a per profile basis. A specific mission example is a well equipped force of combined arms tasked with removing the *remainder* of the opfor in a given area, which have basically been reduced to small arms units fighting with more guerrilla tactics, i.e. poorly equipped insurgency.

2) More documentation on the AI Skill *custom* parameters! I've played with them a bit, in a way that I guessed made sense, but have seen no relative changes that suggested I was on the right path. In other words I'm a bit frustrated and confused about what changes to expect using them.

3) Does morale and battle readiness get factored in somewhere under the hood? Units on guard duty far away from the front lines that haven't seen (or heard) action in quite some time might become lax, and easier to sneak up on as opposed to a recon patrol behind enemy lines which would be expected to be on it's highest level of combat readiness. Similarly, units at HQ and/or in the vicinity of a commanding officer may have higher initial morale and "courage", perhaps also influenced by their approximate experience/rank. A veteran unit may behave much more differently than a unit of raw recruits far from an active (i.e. "alive") superior officer that may be subject to ease of suppression and reduced combat effectiveness.

Also looking forward to the day we might see ambient civilian profiles and insurgents with IEDs, car bombs vs. road blocks, acquirable intel, etc.

Love the work so far! All my internets to you guys. :)

Edited by Oktyabr

1.) Individual scenarios are really down to the mission maker to create using regular (i.e. non-ALiVE) editing tools. We can't possibly cater to everyone's specific needs/wants or we'd never achieve anything! We've chosen to go the route of having credibly realistic combined arms groupings as a fair compromise, though we are nevertheless still largely restricted to what ArmA3 group configs provide. As I've said before though, it's better to treat ALiVE as an ambient battlefield generator and insert your specific scenario requirements using regular editing techniques.

2.) Pretty sure BI Wiki has this info listed somewhere. This is not a particularly whizzbang special module, just something that tweaks standard A3 settings.

3.) Nope. We don't do anything to ArmA3 AI at all.

1.) Individual scenarios are really down to the mission maker to create using regular (i.e. non-ALiVE) editing tools. We can't possibly cater to everyone's specific needs/wants or we'd never achieve anything! We've chosen to go the route of having credibly realistic combined arms groupings as a fair compromise, though we are nevertheless still largely restricted to what ArmA3 group configs provide. As I've said before though, it's better to treat ALiVE as an ambient battlefield generator and insert your specific scenario requirements using regular editing techniques.

2.) Pretty sure BI Wiki has this info listed somewhere. This is not a particularly whizzbang special module, just something that tweaks standard A3 settings.

Thanks for the lightning fast reply! I'll check the wiki on #2. I realize a lot of what you guys can offer is dependent on how BIS develops the underlying game. I DO use ALiVE as an ambient generator but wish I didn't have to load extra addons to accomplish what I'm after. If there is ever anything thing that your team deems as important, in the A3 feedback tracker, please *do* share the details and I for one will be happy to vote, post or whatever I can to help YOU help me :)

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Here is the link to the BI wiki page on AI setskill, in case anyone else was interested too: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/AI_Sub-skills

Since it is impossible to use the custom units that we have, it is possible to change the loadout of CSATs that are spawned in via the Military Placement Modules? This way, I can make CSAT look just like any custom unit I have.

So many credibly realistic ATV hordes. Just teasing! I haven't seen any of those in a while :p

Is there anywhere we can find more complete documentation than what is in the manual? I find it's a bit woefully short on documentation as some of the modules aren't covered at all, and few really go into great depth. I'm trying to get creative with my use of the system but it's tricky for a relatively uneducated mission maker to figure things out.

Loving the system! It's been a ridiculous amount of fun on Clafghan for our group, who primarily played ACE+MSO on Clafghan in A2. Using ALiVE to populate a big map like that with lots of objectives for the group to pick and choose between/encounter makes things really interesting, and a lot more natural. Much like in MSO, sometimes we get contact and sometimes we don't. Not knowing when that'll happen or where is awesome.

Loving the system! It's been a ridiculous amount of fun on Clafghan for our group, who primarily played ACE+MSO on Clafghan in A2. Using ALiVE to populate a big map like that with lots of objectives for the group to pick and choose between/encounter makes things really interesting, and a lot more natural. Much like in MSO, sometimes we get contact and sometimes we don't. Not knowing when that'll happen or where is awesome.

On a tangent I'd be curious to know how you are getting Clafghan working with Alive. I can get it to load and it will identify the handful of FOBs, and the runway, but I can't figure out how to get a bunch of OPFOR to spawn *outside* of those locations :(

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

I guess I could expand my ALiVE wishlist with the "custom location" idea for maps that don't have enough MP or CP locations defined... For example imagine a scenario where a spy satellite is crashed in the mountains and the occupying forces are all pushing to that general vicinity as a priority. And some sort of compatibility layer (perhaps in a separate mod?) that would allow a mission editor to simply choose THIS group of units = THAT faction (opfor, blufor, indy, etc.) to make better use of added on armies (that aren't properly configured) as well as add flexibility to how various units are used.

Edited by Oktyabr
added example

I really hope to see someday an ALIVE map-pack (there´s only 3 missions available through this thread and NONE on steam workshop that I´ve aknowledged)... I know you guys did a straightforward manual and guide on the first pages, but some pret-a-jouer maps would be nice for some fellas like me that doesn´t have all the missionmaking mojo to fiddle with it...

cheers!

Since it is impossible to use the custom units that we have, it is possible to change the loadout of CSATs that are spawned in via the Military Placement Modules? This way, I can make CSAT look just like any custom unit I have.

Chondo999 we have adressed unit mod issues in the next update, let me just say I have been playing with Massi's various unit mods, DRIregulars, and SUD Russians recently. Update coming soon! :)

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

So many credibly realistic ATV hordes. Just teasing! I haven't seen any of those in a while :p

Is there anywhere we can find more complete documentation than what is in the manual? I find it's a bit woefully short on documentation as some of the modules aren't covered at all, and few really go into great depth. I'm trying to get creative with my use of the system but it's tricky for a relatively uneducated mission maker to figure things out.

Lol I laughed when I saw the ATV scout group preparing to charge :)

If you want more detailed advice I suggest you join the skype channel. There you can ask devs and other users for help or more info. PM your skype details and I can add you.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

;2588644']I really hope to see someday an ALIVE map-pack (there´s only 3 missions available through this thread and NONE on steam workshop that I´ve aknowledged)... I know you guys did a straightforward manual and guide on the first pages' date=' but some pret-a-jouer maps would be nice for some fellas like me that doesn´t have all the missionmaking mojo to fiddle with it...

cheers![/quote']

We have a couple more maps in the works, but have slowed to work on releasable features. After the coming update should have some time to get some more dev and community maps up on the website.

;2588644']I really hope to see someday an ALIVE map-pack (there´s only 3 missions available through this thread and NONE on steam workshop that I´ve aknowledged)... I know you guys did a straightforward manual and guide on the first pages' date=' but some pret-a-jouer maps would be nice for some fellas like me that doesn´t have all the missionmaking mojo to fiddle with it...

cheers![/quote']

I have a short mission ready for playing/testing would be good to get a few people to test it out feedback would be great :D

Oh What do we have here then! ;)

(Excuse the video quality, need to sort out a decent Vid Capture Software, will get a proper Video out made by someone with better skills than I, but here is something to wet your appetite)

Thanks for the quick response ARJay! Good news, I´ll wait those missions with a grim =) And good thing to see ALIVE working alright with IronFront missions...

cheers!