Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Campaign Episode 1: SURVIVE - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

I'm not sure i wanna spoil my pleasure by playing the campaign a little too early, bugwise.

excellent upto the point where i was ejected from a truck to look at some bloke on the side of the road and game crashed .

Nothing in the arma.rpt out of the ordinary (usual shite about poor anim configs and empty.p3d and the infamous override attempts and vest cant handle the amount of ammo et al) .

Looks good though i will defo try it again when it hits stable branch .

I had a problem in the first mission, when you find the commander near his blow up hunter, Adams just stood there and did not go any further. I had to reload.

First impression: Not bad, but not great either. Pretty predictable up to now.

Lots of voice acting, and the speakers aren't bad either, which is a definite plus. Enemy numbers seem to be OK, too, not mowing down of hordes of enemies and such. AAF really plays their cards well, using their advanced air force against the plane-less NATO (sorry, couldn't really resist :D)

I find the campaign a little cheesy in terms of the voice acting.. also had a bug where..

the MRAP is turned over and the soldier is dead, campaign seemed to bug out at that point. Will have to test that out later.

Glad to report that I haven't seen any bugs or glitches so far.

I like that locations are being reported with a grid reference in the dialoge (mission 2 I think), it's nice to manually find the locations with the map. Which reminds me to put in another request to remove the zoom to player button in the map.

Very nicely presented, some nice little things like the AI conversations in the bases, quite HL2-ish. Not really sure why the AAF bother attacking NATO since they're leaving the islands anyway, but whatever.

No problem for me thus far.

Great work on the campaign for the moment, really like it.

Very nicely presented, some nice little things like the AI conversations in the bases, quite HL2-ish. Not really sure why the AAF bother attacking NATO since they're leaving the islands anyway, but whatever.

covs remimded me more metro last light ones.

AAF attacking NATO - thats why there are 2 more episodes ahead, to find out why ;)

I just finished it. It was well done but i'm missing a little more story. I hope they will get deeper into the reasons for the conflict in the upcoming parts. Keep on BIS, can't wait for the next episode!

Loving all the missions, no problems so far and performance is good on my other old 32bit PC.

So far is really nice!!Good job. Plays very smooth!

But i got one hard lock and one BSOD that hasn't happened in months!

Ok so I got to the second mission and so far its pretty sweet. However now when im on my way to meet bravo the Squad Leader runs into a mine or something in the woods then just either lays there or stands there?

Minor spoilers below. Unavoidable...

Good, except going through the forests for like half of it. Killed my FPS (it's the trees. A tree-less Altis and Stratis would be nice... :p). But really nice indeed. CSAT should still be Altis, and it shouldn't shy away from calling the Iranians, well, Iranians and not just CSAT. Can't wait to start seeing more about the weapons research going on on Altis (not spoiler, as that's from the 2011/2012 story already and is what Miller and his SBS team are doing. Operation Magnitude I guess, unless that's changed). Either way looking forward to the next episode. No glitches or bugs on my end, except at the end. My team didn't retreat. I had to retreat along :'(

The voice acting is obviously miles better than anything in previous games, but sometimes it could do with a little more direction. Example: during Wet Work, James tells you to find the body of the AAF commander. He says "Make sure it's our guy", emphasizing 'our', which makes it sound like he's telling us to find one of our guys, when obviously he just means "the guy we're looking for".

Also I have to say I'm pleased that Miller isn't voiced by the guy who did Frost, not that I'm against any of the actors from A2 having roles, as they always did in the expansions (Frost being Drake from OA, etc). Pretty sure James is the guy who voiced Herrera from OA.

Just finished it and the ending is really cool! A rescue extract from the ocean would be an awesome start for Episode 2. :D

I didn't come across any game breakers apart from the known issues.

Just finished the first episode. That was awesome, good job, BIS!

Encountered one small bug, if you pick up UAV backpack and UAV terminal at once you can't access the UAV terminal after you assemble the UAV. You need to drop the UAV terminal and then pick it up again.

Other than that, that episode is awesome. Good solid performance, everything is great! Waiting for more!

James2464, be careful with the spoilers, mate!

I really enjoyed playing the first episode. I started playing till the screen told me 'to be continued'. In my opinion its much better than any other ArmA Campaign before.

- I was really suprised of the CSAT attack at the end of the episode.

- I also really like how the mission makers did choose the right light settings.

- The scene where your buddy dies by a mine is something that really shocked me and caused me to search the whole f'%§ing forest for tripwires, well done :ok:

Im excited how the story develops.

I've encountered another bug, which may have been random:

After Camp Maxwell is attacked, during the briefing for "Tipping Point", it is raining heavily, although the sky isn't that heavily overcast. In fact, it was blue sky directly above me, so the rain was coming out of nowhere. :)

Oh, and some equipment I've picked up hasn't been available in subsequent missions (for example a pair of NVGs). Also, it would be nice if the game would remember my weapon choice, so I don't have to pick it up before every mission.

When you come across the flipped hunter when driving the hemtt everything just stops no diologue no tasks nothing?

3rd mission, my leader get stuck with his pistol near the chopper so i can't do my job.

I thought this bug fixed.

Just two missions in and my sergeant is setting a terrible example for beginners. We're constantly expecting enemy contact but still he runs full speed, not looking around nor using cover. That attitude is going to get him killed someday. And he has the balls to point out me getting exhausted; "How you're gonna be able to aim with that heavy breathing?", so I take a breather and he disappears in the horizon. Apparently my team leader is the bastard son of Haile Gebrselassie and Michelle Rodríguez.

Edited by Greenfist

The mission Blackfoot down ended way too "fast", I mean, there were still comms going on and I was in the middle of the firefight, is there any way to delay the end until the situation is "clear"?

In the main camp I some times get few conversations at the same time, and its difficult to follow the main one, could we keep the subtitles just for the main one? Or set some kind of area for each conversation, so if you are not in it, you don't read the messages?

BTW I'm loving it, best since OFP :yay:

AAF really plays their cards well, using their advanced air force against the plane-less NATO (sorry, couldn't really resist :D)

If I were from AAF, the first thing I'd have done is to blow up or in-utilize all the NATO planes, if there are still some... cuz as NATO was leaving, would make sense to leave the air protection to their awesome allies from AAF xD

Edited by MistyRonin

Finished, didn't have any problems with bugs :). Very very nice campaign :P.

Just finished the episode, here's some of my feedback (not just bugs, but the small things as well).

Very glaring bug on the first mission; if you stop too far away from Cmdr. MacKinnen's body, SSgt. Adams won't resuscitate him, therefore the rest of the scripts do not play. However, if you stop right next to the body, he resuscitates him. I managed to over come the bug by having to restart from the previous autosave (back at Camp Rogain, at the point where you get out of the Littlebird, which is really annoying). This may put off new players from playing the campaign on the first mission.

Now, I know ArmA's voice acting has a tradition for being pretty bad, that is mostly not the case here though; most of the voices are average and/or good. However, there is one voice that really stands out; Lt. James, the British character who talks to Kerry sometimes. His character visually looks like a typical white English guy, but his voice doesn't fit that. He currently sounds like a black British Londoner with a Brixton accent, with a hint of a West Indies accent which could hint at some of his heritage (I'm British and I've lived in London all my life near Brixton (I'm from Streatham), the voice sounds exactly like some of my friend's voices who fit the description I've given). I think a way to fix this, in order to make more sense of his accent/voice, is to simply change the head of James to another existing head who fits the voice better, like the description I gave above (something like the "Williams" head from the profile creator).

On the last briefing level at Maxwell, when it is raining and at night, the briefing is suddenly shifted to daylight with a blue sky, yet it is pouring with rain. That didn't feel right.

On the last level, when you see those paratroopers dropping from the helicopter, the parachutes had some artifacts in them (a brown polygon rectangle in between the parachute) and the drop itself looked kind of strange; I think the helicopter should have been a bit higher as well, it's a little too low for a parachute insertion. Lastly, I don't think the paratroopers wouldn't activate their chutes the second they eject from the helicopter. A paratrooper, after leaving the helicopter, should instead fall for a couple of seconds and then activate his chute.

The very last cutscene, where Kerry is talking to Miller, the characters should have been a bit more animated. This is an outro to the episode afterall, the presentation should be as good as one of those briefings (fantastic animations on them btw).

Edited by Jinzor