Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW FOG: foggy breath for Arma 3

20130915: THIS MOD IS NOW PART OF TPW MODS AND IS NO LONGER SEPARATELY MAINTAINED. PLEASE USE THE TPW MODS THREAD TO REPORT BUGS AND REQUEST FEATURES.

TL;DR - Foggy breath for units on Altis/Stratis during cold weather. SP only.

Download (always contains latest versions of all my mods): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS.zip

Readme:

TPW FOG - Foggy breath for Arma3 SP

Version: 1.00

Authors: tpw, falcon_565

Date: 20130914

Requires: Community Base Addons for Arma 3

Description

-----------

Although Altis/Stratis are sunbaked islands in the Aegean Sea, they can actually get quite cold in the winter months, with temperatures between 4-10 deg C in February. TPW FOG is a small addon that gives units foggy breath when the temperature and humidity (dew point) are appropriate, adding to the immersion during cold periods. TPW FOG is a total rewrite of my original foggy breath script which was refined by falcon_565. It uses Arma 3 specific commands and assets and is incompatible with Arma 2.

Features

--------

- Will add foggy breath to all units within a specified radius of the player.

- Foggy breath based on temperature and dew point calculations for Lemnos (the real Altis/Stratis).

- Increased likelihood of breath fog when raining.

- Fog breath rate is dependent on fatigue.

- SP only

Installation and configuration

------------------------------

Extract the @TPW_FOG modfolder to your preferred mod location, and call it via command line or mod launcher. You'll need Community Base Addons A3 (CBA A3) for the addon to launch and function properly.

Copy @TPW_FOG\userconfig\TPW_FOG\TPW_FOG.hpp to your userconfig\TPW_FOG\TPW_FOG.hpp. You may edit this file to taste:

tpw_fog_hint = 1; // Start hint. 0 = no hint

tpw_fog_radius = 250; // Units must be closer than this to show foggy breath (m)

tpw_fog_delay = 5; // Delay before fog functions start (sec)

The script version is in @TPW_FOG\scripts. Instructions for running it are in the header of the script. Please note that if you already have the addon version running, the script version will detect it and quit.

Known issues

------------

TPW FOG uses a simplified temperature and dew point model based on real climate data for Lemnos (http://weatherspark.com/history/32194/2013/Lemnos-Limnos-North-Aegean-Islands-Greece).

- The average daily maximum temperature are modelled sinusoidally over the year. The same sine wave is applied to daily minimum temperature, daily maximum dew point, and daily minimum dew point. This approximates the way these values vary over a year. Some additional randomisation is applied to these values to simulate daily variation in weather.

- On Lemnos the lowest temperature is roughly around 0600, and the highest at 1800. Conversely, the highest humidity (and thus dew point) is at 0600 and the lowest at 1800. These values are also modelled sinusoidally. When the calculated temperature is lower than the calculated dew point, foggy breath occurs. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point).

- Foggy breath is most likely to occur between 0300 - 0900 in Jan and Feb. The extra humidity during rainfall may extend breath fogging times. Conversely, variations in temperature and dew point may mean no fogging during these times.

- Foggy breath is disabled in vehicles, due to a limitation with the attachto command.

- Foggy breath is only applied to humans, not any nearby animals.

- Although the visual breathing rate is increased as fatigue increases, it will not match the breathing sounds correctly.

- If you want to modify this system to change the climate data or the breath effects, then you'll have to dive into the script version.

Feedback

--------

As always I welcome feedback. My mods only improve due to your input. However, input which consists of asking me why there is no dedicated server version, without offering help in this department, improves nothing, especially my temper.

For the record: I only play SP, have little interest in playing MP, little skill in coding MP, and no ability to test it. If you desperately want a fully functioning MP version of this or any of my other mods, and can't wait for me to make it happen, then you are welcome grab the code and knock yourself out.

For the sake of my sanity, when you're reporting bugs and issues can you please tell me:

- Arma3 version

- Version of my mod

- Script or addon version

- Running on SP, MP or dedi

Changelog

---------

201309014: v1.00

- Initial Arma 3 release.

Disclaimer

----------

I totally refuse to accept responsibility for anything that might happen to your game/computer/life as a result of using my mod. If you accept this, then feel free to use and modify this code, on the proviso that you post back changes and improvements so that everyone can benefit from them, and acknowledge the original author (tpw) in any derivative works.

My A3 mods:

TPW CIVS: Ambient civs and traffic

TPW FALL: Realistic infantry falling from height and bullet hits

TPW LOS: AI Line of sight system for enhanced CQB

TPW EBS: Engine based AI/player suppression

TPW HOUSELIGHTS: Automatic house lighting for Altis/Stratis

TPW BLEEDOUT: Realistic bleeding system

TPW FOG: Foggy breath for Altis/Stratis

Edited by tpw

The man is a beast ! Superb mate!

BTW having everything in one download now is superb, however to make it EASIER could you have the userconfig not inside each of the mods and have it in the root please? I have to go through each one and cut/paste the userconfig directory into root arma3.

The man is a beast ! Superb mate!

BTW having everything in one download now is superb, however to make it EASIER could you have the userconfig not inside each of the mods and have it in the root please? I have to go through each one and cut/paste the userconfig directory into root arma3.

I'll do you one better than that - I'm just about at the stage where I'm going to bundle the whole thing up into a single monolithic mod with one config.

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

I agree. TPW beast mode!!! Are you secretly a BIS developer?

I wish. I'd have to learn how to $%&^ing code first.

Nah, I've just got a lot on my mind and find that coding distracts me.

...is it a bird? no it´s TPW flooding my addon folder....GREAT!!! (where is the donation button?)

Ah fantastic! Well done TPW, I kinda expected you to make this mod pretty quickly after figuring out how cold it can get on Lemnos lol :P

Have you ever thought to maybe change the colour tint of the screen's postprocess depending on the seasons?

Obviously a slight greyer tint (without removing the colours obviously) would show to the user that it is colder and darker, and a brighter tint shows summer and hot weather.

Combined with this foggy breath and the colder postprocess for winter will really make the user feel they are in a colder environment. Maybe not tie in with this mod, maybe a seperate one but it would be great :D

Why cant we Upvote++ on the forums lol :P

tpw for developer ... vote now ;)

Good news on the monolith .... loving your work !

Good to here we're getting one big mod package mate, you have single-handedly made my last few weeks of Arma an :icon_dj: experience.

Keep up the good work Dude!

@tpw

the fog addon is not shown in the activated list ingame. Civ, Bleed, HouseLights are...and are working.

i tried the script but there is no fog. is it just me? did i forgot something?

@tpw

the fog addon is not shown in the activated list ingame. Civ, Bleed, HouseLights are...and are working.

i tried the script but there is no fog. is it just me? did i forgot something?

It's just an issue with the addon list display, which I will fix soon. In the mean time you can always check if the addon is working by entering tpw_fog_debug=true in the window after hitting escape. Try setting a mission for Feb 01, 630am. You stand a good chance of seeing breath fog then.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account (tpw) on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

** Note: since this is a project on which more people are working we will contact you in the future to discuss how you want this to be setup on Armaholic.

20130915: THIS MOD IS NOW PART OF TPW MODS AND IS NO LONGER SEPARATELY MAINTAINED. PLEASE USE THE TPW MODS THREAD TO REPORT BUGS AND REQUEST FEATURES.