I wanted to spawn enemies in front of the player group. How to get the right direction and thus position? Using the built-in "getDir" command would be simple, but what if you happen to use it when the group leader has turned around to check up on his group? Then you would be spawning enemies in completely wrong direction.

This script will tracking a group and record it's positions in given interval. You can call the function any time to get the average direction, aka a guesstimate/overall direction where the group to heading to.

Starting Tracking

Required Parameters:
0 Group/Object Group to track.

Optional Parameters:
1 Number Recording interval, delay in seconds between position checks.
2 Number History size, number of newest positions to remember.

Starting Examples:
nul = dude1 execvm "SHK_intercept.sqf";
nul = grpWest1 execvm "SHK_intercept.sqf";
nul = [dude2,5,20] execvm "SHK_intercept.sqf";

Getting the Direction

Function's name is SHK_intercept_getDir. It takes an object or a group as a parameter
and returns a direction between 0 and 360.

Required Parameters:
0 Group/Object Group to track.

Optional Parameters:
1 Number Position info age when calculating direction. Given number is the
Nth newest position to compare the current position.
Example: positions are [a,b,c,d,e,f,g], you give 3 as info age. The
position to be used for direction calculation is e.
Float Range 0-1, which is applied to the size of the history. Example: size
is 10 and age is 0.5, the dir will be calculated from the 5th
position in the history. Or 0.2, the position would be 9th (2nd newest).
2 Number Sample size. Number of positions between newest and the one determined
by info age, which is included in the average calculation as well.

Examples:
dir = grpWest1 call SHK_intercept_getDir;
dir = [grpWest1,0.3] call SHK_intercept_getDir;
dir = [grpWest1,10,5] call SHK_intercept_getDir;

2021 reupload https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XXrSZbu7nCaW2UkOVsaVbKmX0ZmfFUtg?usp=sharing

Feel free to use anyway you like, or dont. 🙂

• Like 3

Really useful. Can be extrapolated also average displacement speed in that direction, so also expected, approximated position after given time. Similar stuff was used in some AI arty scripts in Arma 2 for targeting (FO predicting, where moving target will be at impact (if known arty shell's TOF), and sending shells there). Not sure, if such scripting still needed for A3 arty (haven't A3, so can't check). Also for non-spawning interception, eg when AI group is chasing someone in more smart manner than only following cyclically towards current position, with that could calculate, if/where with its own expected speed (ETA) have a chance to cut fugitive's route/set ambush. If someone is in even more ambitious mood, can even try to predict on such basis final destination of such group eg be checking, if in that or similar direction (angle range) there is some possibly important place ahead (a city, road, group of units, enemy position, position often visited by this/other group in the past...) and script some guesstimated AI decisions on that.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

As always, it's very kind of you to share your work. Thank you.

I wanted to spawn enemies in front of the player group.

I would love that too. Yet I lack the required skill to take this script to that level.

Is there any chance you could be persuaded to share one of your missions that makes use of this intercept script with actual enemies spawning in front of the player group. So those of us who lack your skills can open it in editor and see how to actually take this script to that final 'pay-off' level.

Fantastic scripting work. I'm always thrilled when I see really creative scripts -- none of this "move squad into helicopter" example nonsense that anyone can figure out with 20 minutes' work, but rather well-thought out solutions to problems that people might not have even really conceived of before: like this.

Well done!

I would love that too. Yet I lack the required skill to take this script to that level.

Is there any chance you could be persuaded to share one of your missions that makes use of this intercept script with actual enemies spawning in front of the player group. So those of us who lack your skills can open it in editor and see how to actually take this script to that final 'pay-off' level.

A quick 15min example: _example_shk_intercept.Stratis.zip

After the spawning you can make them patrol or start hunting the player group etc.

• Like 1

By conincidence, I started writing my own intercept script yesterday, but this is far superior, so I'm using this now.

Plus your library of other functions looks super useful as well.

Thanks much for these well documented and useful functions!

Blast from the past.

Reuploaded https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XXrSZbu7nCaW2UkOVsaVbKmX0ZmfFUtg?usp=sharing

Feel free to use anyway you like, or dont. 🙂

• Like 3

Armaholic seems to be down.  I have not been there in ages. Hope everybody is well.

10 hours ago, Joe98 said:

Armaholic seems to be down.  I have not been there in ages. Hope everybody is well.

It's all gone. C'est la vie.