Sign in to follow this  
Illusion_cz

FPS issues in cities

FPS issues in cities on Altis (even the smallest ones)

So I tryed everything and nothing really helped to solve my problem.

I have a weird issue with FPS. I have around 60-70 fps when outside the city and as soon as I enter the city my FPS drops to 1-5 FPS so the game becomes completely unplayable. No matter if I leave the city or not, it will never get back to normal. I always have to alt + f4 my game because its impossible to close it in any other way. I can run every showcase with decent 45+ FPS. I can play wasteland with 45 ppl on with 35+ FPS. It simply isn't happening on Stratis.

I can play on Stratis without any problems. Huge firefights and explosions in the city on Stratis isn't problem. I still have more than 35 FPS. I even have around 60 FPS on Altis but when I enter the city it drops to 2 fps. Same thing happens to me in arma 2.

So the problem appears only in Arma 2 and cities on Altis.

All my drivers are up to date. I tryed messing with my ingame options. I use startup parameters: -nologs -world=empty -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=2047 and I also edited file (GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1)

My specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit

Motherboard: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 black edition OC 3893 MHz

Memory Kingston 2GB KIT DDR3 1333MHz CL7 HyperX x2 (4gb ram)

Video Card GTX 660Ti

HDD: WDC WD2500AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device

So I will appriciate any help!

Do I need to upgrade my ram from 4 to 6-8? Reinstall windows? Faulty or crappy HDD (slow reading/writing?) Please help.

Edited by Illusion_cz

Same problem here. My system is a bit more low-end but the drop is from 50-60 fps to 1-2 and haven't found way to recover from it without restarting.

This didn't happen to me in A2 though.

Same problem here. My system is a bit more low-end but the drop is from 50-60 fps to 1-2 and haven't found way to recover from it without restarting.

This didn't happen to me in A2 though.

Could you please tell me what your HDD is?

Could you please tell me what your HDD is?

WD20EARS. But Arma isn't even loading anything when I'm standing still. There's no disk activity at all. 1GB of RAM available and some 200MB of GPU memory.

CPU usage is the same as when the FPS is over 60.

This really weird issue.

edit. I set the launch parameter -world=Altis and the 1fps starts immediately when the game loads the main menu.

Edited by greenfister

Cities have always been an issue in the RV engine. There have been impressive improvements over time, I'm sure many people here remember cities in Arma2 at release.

If you're interested in what's involved with city FPS have a read of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_surface_determination

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-buffering#Z-culling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewing_frustum

It's a fascinating topic.

I belive this is due to a possible memory leak (or the game just using too much), i have 16GB of ram in my computer and when i looked at my ram usage it was well above 4GB almost at 5 so this could be causing problems. Im going to do some more testing before submitting a ticket but this could be the problem. Not to mention that the 49 settlements on altis are bloddy massive kavala look like 4 four times the size of agia marina (possibly bigger)

The 1-2fps issue on Altis appears to be a separate issue from the usual crap performance in cities. At the moment, evidence is pointing to that particular issue (sustained 1-2fps on Altis) as only impacting 32-bit windows users.