progamer

A Large Fixed Wing transport aircraft for Arma 3

It would also be awesome in multiplayer, while the pilot flies two people could play as gunners :yay:

lol can you imagine the backlash? The AC400M (or whatever) would fly from point to point delivering hell....so when the human controlled infantry arrived, there's nothing but death and destruction! lol. I've done that with the little bird and everyone hated me because i killed all the bad guys and left them with nothing to do. :)

lol can you imagine the backlash? The AC400M (or whatever) would fly from point to point delivering hell....so when the human controlled infantry arrived, there's nothing but death and destruction! lol. I've done that with the little bird and everyone hated me because i killed all the bad guys and left them with nothing to do. :)

Depend on the mission, when add attack helicopters and the AH-9, the enemy AI have AA, attack helicopters and pretty much all the good stuff.

Found the right a/c for ARMA 3

C27J Spartan :)

Not too big, not too small.

C27J Spartan :)

Not too big, not too small.

And is also sexy, modern and good lookin'. It's perfect!

BI could introduce it as a transport and also another version as gunship ( like the AC-130 ).

And it's even used by the Greek army and other NATO, besides the USAF.

In my opinion, I think something C130 size should probably be the biggest thing needed for a map the size of Altis. I would prefer some naval vessels for tanks and what not instead.

A gunship is not what this thread is for, it is for large transport aircraft for NATO, CSAT, civilian and possibly AAF.

Problem is, what kind of fixed wing commercial plane would the civilians have?

Edited by ProGamer

Some love for the C5 :) ?

Its my favorite of these fat birds :D

lol we're all arguing over the merits of the C17 and you bring in the C5. lol. hey, the more the merrier. After seeing videos of how large Altis is, I'm definitely wanting a big cargo a/c even more!! ie. something like this:

Or even this....4 Humvees and 50 paratroopers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_tflYu0bfE

throw out a zodiac or something larger...and squad of SF or Seals on a night mission to infiltrate some part of Altis...now THAT is a mission!! However, you DEFINITELY need a large cargo bird for that...be it the C17, A400M, C27J, C130 or all of the above (my choice!), we definitely need something.

I found in the latest dev build code an aircraft called C-192, it's seems to be a C-130 and there is a wreck of this one in the editor

I found in the latest dev build code an aircraft called C-192, it's seems to be a C-130 and there is a wreck of this one in the editor
That would actually be consistent with the "extended alpha list" that mentioned a "C130j" and the L-159, although that mentioned "F35f" but the devs have since said that the F-35 was just a placeholder... curious.

nah, I'd prefer something with strong landing gear and STOL tech rather than an amphibian.

The question is....WHY do we need a large cargo a/c when we have choppers? Here's some suggestions:

- speed (vs helicopters)

- cargo capacity (paratroopers, LAVs, Humvees)

- large paradrops (although the CH49 can carry quite a bit)

There's got to be a need rather than a 'nice to have'.

If we see a C-17 in the game? Does that mean we have a chance to see reverse thrust on land? :D

Nice video! Man you can almost land in someones back yard with those two :) Airports? who needs that, just give us a piece of grass somewhere and we´ll land.

I think there was quite the difference in speed though when they came in to land.

Perhaps the C-17 simply can travel at a lower speed and still generate enough lift to not drop like a rock.

Nice video! Man you can almost land in someones back yard with those two :) Airports? who needs that, just give us a piece of grass somewhere and we´ll land.

I think there was quite the difference in speed though when they came in to land.

Perhaps the C-17 simply can travel at a lower speed and still generate enough lift to not drop like a rock.

the C-17 can direct thrust straight down allowing for incredibly steep descents. Not sure about the A400M but its amazing how quick these can stop!

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

Found this for the A400M "The aircraft is capable of reversing up a 2% slope on a hard surface, under its own power, (1% slope on soft surfaces loaded with tactical Maximum Takeoff Weight, in hot and high conditions.)" from this website: http://defense-update.com/products/a/a400m.htm This means both the C-17 and A400M are STOL and can back up by themselves! :)

I really hope BIS is watching this thread.

the C-17 can direct thrust straight down allowing for incredibly steep descents.

Apparently the C-17 is able to use reverse thrust inflight which enables it to achieve high -fpm on descent (maybe 5000 - 8000 fpm if not more) but maintaining IAS <Vne. Saw it on youtube somewhere.

Maybe but check this out!

Airbus Military A400M The Versatile Airlifter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4yGznAYZXU

Anyone notice how the video shows it carry a lot of the vehicles we have in game like the hunter, the other MRAPS, The Artillery and the HEMTT? I definitely think this is our golden aircraft for Arma 3. It can back up, its a STOL, can carry the in-game vehicles and can preform multiple roles like air to air refueling with Jets and Helicopters! The video also gives that not to distant future vibe Arma 3 has! :yay:

I wonder though....having extra weight would definitely impact its STOL ability (ie. empty weight vs fully loaded...you would think the rev thrust wouldn't have as much force when trying to stop all that weight at 140kts or something) and would impact any fully loaded a/c.

Still....I WANT IT!! :)