Sign in to follow this  
tremanarch

Minor but distracting Sound Bug

bpls listen with headphones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhreno-wSK0&feature=youtube_gdata

- sounds extremely weird -

"Listen to the helicopter noise when I turn the head how the sound blends in / out in one and the other ear.."

now you see what I mean, the left or right ear is completely silent. thats not realistic nor comfortable to play.

just dont make a 0% - 100% Volume range but:

55% - 100% for example.

Edited by tremanarch

Damn it. I watched the video and wondered what's so weird. Read the rest of the post and it didn't reflect at all what I experience. On the contrary, my balance is more like 95%-100%. I've had a lot of trouble to recognize where the gun shots are coming from.

Then I realized my headphones must have been broken for months now; short circuit somewhere on the cord so everything is mono...

Thank you so much! ;)

edit. a little bit of duct tape later; stereo sound achieved and you're right - that's a disturbing "bug". In real life there's always some echo to the opposite ear. You should make a ticket for this.

Edited by greenfister
duct tape

;)

yeah

playing with heaphones is a little weird with those blanked out sounds when turning the head. I dont know how difficult it is to change the range a sound lowers in volume for right / left ears...

if they dont like to change it for all users - they could just add a headphone profile (like many games do it).

they could just make the headphone profile blend left right audio channel into each other for 30-40% (depends if they use linear or logarithmic volume values) and the problem is solved...

Hmm so that wasnt my soundcard being silly. I can confirm that on my system it does that also. 5.1ss

here a graphic that shows it:

excp3434l66yke.jpg

its really noticable and annoying when playing with headphones or if you have studio equipment sound monitors (> 2000$) - hifi and stereo gamer speaker stuff wont recognize it as prominently..

easy solution: blending the channels into each other for a headphone sound profile

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt6paqd.png

=============

the problem is not only a minor bug, could be considered as a cheat if you stand near a noisy tank and just turn the head 90° and you can hear the ambient world without tank noise with the left ear!! (wouldnt be possible in real life - or can you stand beside a starting jet and only hear the jet with 1 ear?)

Edited by tremanarch

Yeah, this was in previous iterations of their sound engine aswell. Is there a ticket for this issue?