Sign in to follow this  
Fergal

Issues with console controllers in Arma 3

For flying choppers I find a gamepad with two analog sticks great, only problem is getting the config / sensitive right.

When I move the x-axis to the left, I'd like the chopper to bank as sharply as it does when I press "A" on the keyboard.

See screenshot below, with "A" the stick is to the extreme left (clips into the leg), with Xbox controller, it's about 20% short of extreme left.

http://s2.postimg.org/98vxjf8s9/stick.jpg (113 kB)

Even non-analog buttons on the gamepad, like RB for raise, is less effective than the keyboard counterpart, "Q" :

Q Vertical SPD = 20, RB Vertial SPD = 7

http://s13.postimg.org/lr0rs17yf/verticalspd.jpg (140 kB)

I ended binding Cyclic forward, back, left, right to Shift+W, Shift+S, Shift+A and Shift+D.

Got Pinnacle Game Profiler, set the analog stick to WASD, and when stick tilt is 95+%, apply Left Shift. Also bound LB and RB on the controller to Z and Q.

So when moving the analog stick, the analog input is used, up until 95% tilt when the keyboard binding kicks in, giving me hard forward, back, left, right.

The default xbox 360 controller settings need some work. What was wrong with the Arma 2 scheme? Why couldn't that get ported over. I primarily used my pad for flying as I hate keyboard/mouse control for air vehicles.

My issue with the Arma 3 default xbox setup is that fire and rudder right are both mapped to right trigger!? so as soon as u fire u rudder right which puts my aim out. I know I can remap but that is a pain in the arse and every time I start up the game I have to reselect my pad in options for it to activate. On default settings it works without fault. Bar this annoying fire/rudder issue. Anybody else have that?

Yeah the default scheme has rudder and fire bound to left trigger. Also I think toggle free look and manual fire toggle are both bound to B.

But the issues I mentioned above also happen with default scheme ( raise and lower too slow, analog sticks not going to 100% )

There is a ticket on the tracker for controllers having less input than the keyboard. At least in wheeled vehicles. Perhaps the same applies to helis? If so, update/upvote since it's definitely a bug.

Do we need to raise a ticket to sort out default Xbox controller buttons?

If there is no ticket for it, Yes : )

I can't get the collective to respond, climb/descend anywhere near as fast as using keys, anybody else noticed this ?

Edited by steadiworkz

I can't get the collective to respond, climb/descend anywhere near as fast as using keys, anybody else noticed this ?

There is a ticket for that on the tracker, yes. Same problem with wheeled vehicles. The analogue inputs have less maximum range than keyboard inputs. Can't remember the ticket number atm.

There are a large amount of issues with the Xbox 360 controller on ArmA 3. Why has this not been fixed? It has been assigned for way too long and this makes the game unplayable for people with disabilities due to the lack of basic function compared with the preset with ArmA 2.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=940

(Please do not discuss keyboard and mouse clashes with gamepad. This is not the place.)

Odd, I finally got around to trying my gamepad in Arma 3 and was able to bind the controls without any problems. The only hitch I ran in to is that my controller used to be very precise but now the sticks have just a hair of play in them. It wouldn't matter for the standard Xbox 360 gamepad, but mine it's enough to cause drift if I'm not careful to center the sticks. Win7 does not allow me to set up deadzones nor does Arma, unless I was just braindead while looking (always possible). If they let you calibrate properly it seems like it would work fine, but as it is I have to decide if I'm going to buy another gamepad just for flying in Arma 3.

the only reason why my friend did not buy the game yet

because he can not play with keyboard/mice and he can not use hes controller atm

how did u do it?

Plug in the controller, start Arma, then disable the default profile or whatever. I think that was it.