Sign in to follow this  
freakjoe

Basic Map Making Tutorial

Hello there,

I've decided to take the limited knowledge about map making that I have and create a small tutorial series about making a map for ArmA 3 with the limited posibilities we have right now due to the not yet updated toolset.

I'm far from being an expert regarding map making, but I thought I'd give it a try and attempt to help some of the people out there that are new to map editing.

Anyway, here is the first part of my hopefully soon to be tutorial series. This first part is rather small but I will try to continue this - not yet - series as soon as possible.

Regards,

FreakJoe

Edited by FreakJoe
  • Like 1

Keep up the good work! What I always think of is a blog accompanying the creation of a map...the stuff I explain and release is actually stuff I need for myself. I just think: when you for yourself create that, why not share the knowledge and files? Saves time and nerves....

Here is the second part :) And thanks for your feedback. Edited by FreakJoe

Hi there,

seems pretty straight forward what you are doing so far.

I would recommend to maybe add your links separately so its more convenient to find them.

Keep the good work up!

Hey there,

good tutorial. I think the tools you made seem to be interesting, think I´ll give them a try as soon as I am back home again.

What wonders me, you are saying that the layers.cfg is beeing created by using the tool you mentioned in the first part. How do you assign the RGB colors for the mask_lco from the second part, as you dont know how the mask will look like?

EDIT:

The different mco files are altogether unnecessary as there´s actually only one mco file needed for all textures. It is not wrong, not that you misunderstand me, but it is not necessary.

Edited by MemphisBelle

I'm not sure I quite understand the second part either. Why is your layer mask being created at only 512x512? If your height map is 2048 why not create one the same size?

First off, thanks for your questions.

Second off, the mask_lco is being generated using L3DT. I've taken the layers.cfg from one of my projects where I used L3DT to generate the mask_lco aswell so the colour values should correspond. Obviously, if someone's generated layer mask is using more or different ground textures than the one I used, this won't work and he'll have to adjust it - Which I will ( Thanks for reminding me ) talk about in one of the next tutorials-.

Now, the layer mask is being created at only 512x512 pixels because that is from what I know the maximum without splitting it into tiles with the standard edition. If you decide to try out the Professional edition you will be able to change it around to for example 2048.

I hope I have answered your questions, if not feel free to let me know and I'll try again :)

I've decided to wait until the release of the new tools until I will carry on with this as that will most likely help more people.

Hey FreakJoe,

Just went through the first two parts and can't wait for the next. I'm a total noob at island editing and think your approach is easy to understand. If your waiting till new tools are available before going on to the next steps, maybe you could explain how to setup a project based on real world locations.

Thanks for the effort

Real world terrain tutorial

That should do the job for starters...

If you got specific questions regarding RL terrain conversion, go ahead...

^ That basically. To be honest, I've never really attempted to recreate a real life location so far so I don't really know how to do it.

Hi FreakJoe,

thank you very much for your tutorial. Are there others ones?

Thanks,

FrankLtCol

Hi FreakJoe,

thank you very much for your tutorial. Are there others ones?

Thanks,

FrankLtCol

I'm glad that you like it. If you're referring to tutorials from other authors, yes there are.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?94222-Resourcelink-collection-How-to-make-a-map-beginning-from-the-idea-in-your-head

If you go through that list you'll find quite a few good ones. For this tutorial series, I will continue on with it once the new tools are released.

Good work, thanks.