Sign in to follow this  
morthawt

Altis very rough area proportions [Pic + details] (I was bored)

I found a low resolution map of Altis Island and drew some square/rectangle zones over it and calculated the area in pixles (halving the triangle areas that were drawn to be squares to make calculation easy). Then after adding all the zone pixle areas up to get a total I then created percentage values rounded to the nearest whole digit, since this is a VERY rough thing and is nowhere near precise there was no point giving tripple digit precision lol. Then I took the actual figure of km2 for the island and precentaged each zone from that figure to give a vague approximation of the area for zones. I figured it might be useful when I make missions and things on that new island, that way I know "This area is too big for my needs, I will set something up over there" etc. Who knows, maybe totally useless but then again maybe not?

http://s24.postimg.org/drtie975x/altis_rough_zones.png

#1 ( 39% ) (105.3 km2)

#5 ( 22% ) (59.4 km2)

#6 ( 15% ) (40.5 km2)

#2 ( 14% ) (37.8 km2)

#4 ( 5% ) (13.5 km2)

#3 ( 2% ) (5.4 km2)

#7 ( 1% ) (2.7 km2)

#8 ( 1% ) (2.7 km2)

#9 ( 1% ) (2.7 km2)

You can always add up certain adjacent zones if you want the rough area for a certain landmass.

Again this is so vague and general. There are some gaps of water in zones and some bits missing, so hopefully that helps to create a little buffer so it all works out better.

Edited by morthawt

lol something like that does not take more than 5 mins or so. So it was not like I had to dedicate my life to doing it or anything lol...

what is with hills. from above its calculated as plain, but it is not.. and houses with more floors they must be calculated aswell.

at 45° its multiplicated with sqrt(2)

Yea this is a rough thing lol I am not going to go any further indepth on it. I just wanted to get a rough idea for air transport reasons, what the areas are.

A more accurate way to do it would be to count all the white pixels. (Some paint programs can count specific colour pixels.) Then you will have an exact area for the water, so you just invert that to get the value for the area of land :)

Yeah but I had a reference of the landmass to work with. Without that 270km2 I could not have calculated the actual area covered, only the percentage. So sure it would be possible to figure out the percentage of water based on the image vs landmas but you would have no idea what the actual area is.

Wow, thanks for taking that brief amount of time to do this. For saying how little time you spent on it, it really is a resource to consider the sizes of this island.

Great thread.

thumbs-up.jpg

I say you should create a function that results in the terrain of Limnos and integrate it. That's proper science.

One way to get relatively accurate results is to divide the actual picture of the map to e.g. 1 km x 1 km squares (that results in 1 km2 squares), then calculate the area:

1. count the squares that have only landmass in their area

2. count the squares that have both sea and landmass in their area and multiply the number of these squares by 0.5

3. add the result from stage 1 to the result of stage 2 = area of landmass

The maps of actual Lemnos cannot be used as reference because the map in game is not 1:1 copy of the Lemnos. The pictures from Altis that BIS has published should be used instead. I made a map with 1 km x 1 km grid if someone is willing to calculate the area with the aforementioned method:

dgTwaNC.png

(click the pic to open larger one)

What I've seen so far is that the area of landmass on Altis would be about 270 km2 and the area of the whole map would be about 900 km2 (the sea continues endlessly behind the map "borders" though).

--

Edit: Haha, I read the OP again and realized that I have misunderstood the topic a little bit... :D The method that I've explained above can still be used for that purpose too though; just count the squares on the area that you're considering to use. It's more accurate than one would think and totally customisable; you can count the area despite of the shape or size of the area that you're considering to use.

Edited by Ezcoo
dumb me