Sign in to follow this  
PraPoredos

ARMA III & Steam WORKSHOP

well if something is unclear you can always try contact Valve directly or use me to relay these questions, but only on official quality level ...

I have been wondering what you mean by 'official quality level'.

But missions can contain mods, textures, sounds and scripts that other players have made.

The Steam license is quite clear:

C. Representations and Warranties

You represent and warrant to us that you have sufficient rights in all User Generated Content to grant Valve and other affected parties the licenses described under A. and B. above or in any license terms specific to the applicable Workshop-Enabled App or Workshop page. This includes, without limitation, any kind of intellectual property rights or other proprietary or personal rights affected by or included in the User Generated Content. In particular, with respect to Workshop Contributions, you represent and warrant that the Workshop Contribution was originally created by you (or, with respect to a Workshop Contribution to which others contributed besides you, by you and the other contributors, and in such case that you have the right to submit such Workshop Contribution on behalf of those other contributors).

I have already let someone remove one workshop entry because it used scripts I've made (though not through Steam but PM) because I don't want anything I've made beeing uploaded to Steam Workshop.

Xeno

Well that's going to be fun, what happens when everyone shares from a pool of scripts for something.

I have been wondering what you mean by 'official quality level'.

I guess he means he won't forward questions like "Why are you a bunch of dickheads and don't respect the modders' rights?"

Because such questions surely would be posted.

I guess he means he won't forward questions like "Why are you a bunch of dickheads and don't respect the modders' rights?"

Because such questions surely would be posted.

yep that's what i got in mind ...

Wonderful. The community is going to destroy itself over nothing.

Maybe so DayGlow but you have to respect the author's rights ;).

Mission scripts do seem to be a grey area to me since in .sqf there tend to be only one or two ways to produce the same required result due to the fact that we all have to rely on the engine's internal commands/functions etc.

I do respect script author rights in terms of publication and if a particular creator of a script does not want it published elsewhere then so be it.

I for one have quite a few of my scripts (such as adminactions) contained in many of the latest A3 missions produced by other authors I see published to Armaholic. PersistentDB has been refactored by many scripters for use in 'Life' servers etc therefore in terms of mission scripts I have no problem with my work being used.

Edited by [KH]Jman

Oh here we go again. That's only your opinion one that very few here share. As Jman says "you have to respect the author's rights".

@Dwarden

OK in the interest of constructive feedback, I still have several issues that I'd like clarification on or at least like to understand more clearly.

1. What is the "Official" Valve/BI process for removal of illegally uploaded SWS content?
  2. How do we report it? A "This #@%& has nicked my IP" or some other IP Report button?
  3. Is there a way to track the progress of a report? A ticket system etc?
  4. If the claim is accepted is there communication from Valve to confirm that the content is removed and that the original author's rights are left intact and the content deleted?

there is Report button available or each item on Steam WorkShop

(you must be logged into STEAM community)

clicking it it brings up popup window, where you manualy can write the reason of report

yet for any DMCA type of claim, there is additional URL inside that popup, which leads you to special page

e.g. https://steamcommunity.com/dmca/create/1 "Notice of Copyright Infringement"

where you identify the content and reasons and yourself etc. ...

Valve has tracking #ID system for this ...

if all fails You shall come to me and we will look on it and if needed discuss with Valve what to do

if that fails i can remove items from SWS myself manually but that shall be latest resort otherwise my head explode ;)

Nah it won't. Worse case is that there will be 2 ways to get & activate your addons. Through Steam, and through old-fashioned download + mod folder.

DMarkwick, for now there is no support for Workshop and modifications in Arma 3 ...

so for now put the location issue aside ... it's missions

DMarkwick, for now there is no support for Workshop and modifications in Arma 3 ...

Someone has asked it before, what happens if those missions have addons that are needed to play it? Will you have to d/l as we do now and use mod folders or will the workshop do this for you? (Eventually?).

Nah it won't. Worse case is that there will be 2 ways to get & activate your addons. Through Steam, and through old-fashioned download + mod folder.

I accept why mod makers with original IP are wary of SWS even though I believe that Valve wouldn't take their IP. But now we have people who create scripts for other people to use in missions now demanding missions be taken down because they don't want their scripts on SWS. I will respect it in as in much not upload missions against their wishes, but I can hold the opinion that its childish and counter productive to the community.

@DayGlow

Yep, let's call people childish if you don't know the reason behind it, way to go. The only people who are childish are those who don't respect the rights of others.

Beside that, the community was able to download missions (in case of MP missions they are even still downloaded automatically from the server) in the past 12 years. And those options are still available and won't go away. So nothing lost.

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

do all subscribed missions end up in MP too regardless if it is only SP etc? or does it depend on the tags you select.

just thought id ask a nice little question.

now for the big one...

what happens when missions become mod dependant...... thats gonna be a right fuck-up to keep up with

What happens if those missions have addons that are needed to play it? Will you have to d/l as we do now and use mod folders or will the workshop do this for you? (Eventually?).

what happens when missions become mod dependant...... thats gonna be a right fuck-up to keep up with

You need to read a little more buddy.

Someone has asked it before, what happens if those missions have addons that are needed to play it? Will you have to d/l as we do now and use mod folders or will the workshop do this for you? (Eventually?).

Not now, the workshop is now only for scenarios. There is a dependency tag that should be attached to scenarios requiring such addons (and a sane creator should list the needed addons in the decription/documentation). The actual mod search, download and installation is left to user. But...

Mods in the workshop is one possibility we want to explore further and this dependency is a part of the challenge. To be honest, this is a complex issue with lot of dead ways so the word eventually now mostly describes our hopes. No promises there, but high ambition :)

Not now, the workshop is now only for scenarios. There is a dependency tag that should be attached to scenarios requiring such addons (and a sane creator should list the needed addons in the decription/documentation). The actual mod search, download and installation is left to user. But...

Mods in the workshop is one possibility we want to explore further and this dependency is a part of the challenge. To be honest, this is a complex issue with lot of dead ways so the word eventually now mostly describes our hopes. No promises there, but high ambition :)

I hope it can be done. Steam workshop have organization problems when it's used for games with hundreds/thousands of files like in the Arma case, it's all a bit chaotic, right now Armaholic is still better.

But that could change if the automated nature of the system is exploited with a dependency system. I know that when I find an Arma mission, if it has 5-6 required addons (and sometimes some of these addons have their own needed addons!) I don't bother with it. If a system could automate all that... it would be a godsend for the community.

Missions only? Rgr that. Is it likely to expand into addons over time?

Missions only? Rgr that. Is it likely to expand into addons over time?

Read post 442 mate, its all there...

.... its childish

Says the guy who's IP isn't at risk.

.... and counter productive to the community.

Bullcrap. This VERY strong community has been around 10 years, without SWS.

In regards to dependency management, I would be inclined to use Node.js NPM as an example of how this could be managed with a simple file in the mission and a registry of mods, their versions and urls.

{
 "name": "scenario-name",
 "author": "author-name",
 "game_type": "ctf",
 "version": "0.0.1",
 "dependencies": {
   "arma3": "1.2",
   "cba": "1.0",
   "ace": "1.0"
 }
}

Edited by ssechaud

Gnat;2461336']Says the guy who's IP isn't at risk.

Bullcrap. This VERY strong community has been around 10 years' date=' without SWS.[/quote']

so Valve will steal Arma scripts now? I respect mod makers apprehension about putting models that consume 1000's hours of work onto the SWS as it stands even though I've never heard of Valve using mod assists for their own gain without involving the mod makers.

What I don't understand is someone who creates a script to help mission makers, have no issue with the using the script in mission, but then demand it be taken down from SWS simply because thy don't like the site.

. . .

What I don't understand is someone who creates a script to help mission makers, have no issue with the using the script in mission, but then demand it be taken down from SWS simply because thy don't like the site.

What's not to understand here? If an author of a script doesn't wish his work uploaded on SWS because he dislikes the site, it's his God damn right to demand it to be taken it down or release it without his scripts. It is as simple as that.

BOT

I've read once again the modifications applied by Valve . . . it's hash and rehash just changing a bit the wording but the crucial terms have been left untouched.