Sign in to follow this  
Greenberet40

Tools for create new maps for arma3

Hello Sirs a new age for the maps-makers of Arma comunity has started ;)

Any news for the new tools for edit maps in Arma III ?

Well the STRATIS MAP if the reference for us for create new maps of Arma III. At first view i see that the structure of files and configs is different that the maps

of ARMA II( separated config y diferents folders not only and one config.cpp).

I like if it posible that map-makers explain about this

THANKS

pacqd.jpg

http://www.ust101.com

This is something i'd like to get in to. I've tryed my hand at Modeling and mission making but I'd like to make some real life terrain.

Will BI release any new tools that simplify making maps like the VBS2 Map Generator?

We are preparing a new set of tools upgraded for Arma 3. I cannot yet say when we'll have them ready as the same programmers and other people needing to create such package are at work fixing crashes for example. This first version of the mod tools package would likely contain things like Oxygen upgraded with a PhysX-LOD (for 3D models), but not Visitor (for making islands) yet.

:butbut: That's one very discouraging and disappointing post...

:butbut: That's one very discouraging and disappointing post...

I pretty much believe that we can generally expect updated Visitor for ArmA3 as BIS has stated that even Mapmaking is supposed to be possible. Considering that this is a heavy peace of work, we simply need to be patient...We nonetheless might try to use current Visitor to get a map into A3

If you have created a map with A2 (and thus followed the instructions of Atsche, Bushlurker or Mondkalb before) you can do it as well with A3:

1. Copy Arma3.exe to P:\

2. Copy all the files that are in Arma3 root folder to P:\ root folder (steam_api.dll etc)

3. Depbo bin.pbo and core.pbo and replace the A2 pendants on P:\ (backing A2 core.pbo and bin.pbo up in to a separate folder is a good idea)

4. In Visitor 3, simply exchange buldozer.exe to Arma3.exe in System Preferences, rest can stay the same. I use:

"p:\arma3.exe" -window -buldozer -exThreads=8 -noPause

5. Create a folder called a3 on your P drive, put in all necessary pbos, unpack them and move them until they look like a3\data_f\xxx.p3d etc.

6. Copy that just created a3 folder to ARMA3 ROOT DIRECTORY.

7. Add objects to the object list and place them on your map like you please.

8. Import Satellite and Mask, as well as convert them to *.paa (I use a cmdline tool for that purpose). When that is done, copy the whole project folder to ARMA3 ROOT DIRECTORY. If you don't, Buldozer will start but give an error message on missing layers.

7. When hitting the exclamation mark in Visitor, Steam gets launched and you are asked for full screen or window, while you should select the latter..

8. Buldozer will open and is usable like in A2

9. Save pew

10. Export world

11. Write an A3 config. Or take mine as an example.

12. Binarize with bin.pbo

13. Put into a modfolder and select a starting method you prefer

14. Test!

15. Be happy!

16. Be patient if there are error messages and verify your steps - you will succeed!

Edited by ZeroG
Tutorial updated

It can be done as we have seen, yet the whole process is not completely clear to me (or I make some lol error)

At least I have been able to use Arma3.exe as Buldozer (not to forget only with the help of Atsche):

1. Copy Arma3.exe to P:\

2. Copy all the files that are in Arma3 root folder to P:\ root folder (steam_api.dll etc)

3. Depbo bin.pbo and core.pbo and replace the A2 pendants on P:\ (backing them up in to a separate folder is a good idea)

4. In Visitor 3, simply exchange buldozer.exe to Arma3.exe in System Preferences

5. When hitting the exclamation mark now - after the steam startup process - select to launch it in a window

6. Buldozer window opens...(for me with an error)

What kind of error? Well, mine is asking for "a3\data_f\horizont_sphere.p3d", taken from data_f.pbo. I unpacked that file, copied it to multiple locations on P:\...(recreated the wanted structure)...I checked Visitor file locations..but still that error keeps on coming...gnarf!

So are you been able to view a3 objects now?

So are you been able to view a3 objects now?

When you use arma3.exe, buldozer thinks the p:\ is the original arma3 installation root.

So you use your arma3 installation foldier like it is the ArmAWork (p:\) space.

When you use arma3.exe, buldozer thinks the p:\ is the original arma3 installation root.

So you use your arma3 installation foldier like it is the ArmAWork (p:\) space.

Ahh cool! Thanks.

Atsche, I'm having some problems when trying to use the ArmA3.exe as my buldozer. I've replaced the bin and core folder, placed all of the files from the A3 root directory into my P: Drive and changed the settings in visitor. But when the ArmA 3 Buldozer starts up all of my island is white and when I check out my ArmA3.rpt it says something about not being able to open the layer .rvmats whereas it works perfectly with the normal buldozer. Do you have any idea what might cause this or how I could fix this?

You also gotta export the Project Folder to A3 root, that where your layers are in....

Funny I did that and I see my terrain now as white until I zoom in. Then I can see the ground texture. I can import anything artificial or natural. It imports to my list but will not place down on the terrain.

On another not has anyone noticed the brush tool? If you hit "a" I think it is to switch between land and objects there is now a "brush"

Funny I did that and I see my terrain now as white until I zoom in. Then I can see the ground texture. I can import anything artificial or natural. It imports to my list but will not place down on the terrain.

On another not has anyone noticed the brush tool? If you hit "a" I think it is to switch between land and objects there is now a "brush"

Everything is in the A3 root mirrored project folder? *.paa and not only *.png ? Because I encountered the same error as you and could correct it with the png2paa conversion....

Everything is in the A3 root mirrored project folder? *.paa and not only *.png ? Because I encountered the same error as you and could correct it with the png2paa conversion....

I copied my project folder to my arma 3 directory. What else is needed?

Edit- wait so since the program think my arma 3 directory is my p drive then I need to copy my entire p drive to my arma 3 directory?

Edited by M1lkm8n

1. Copy the project folder and the folder named "a3" with the unpacked objects (Data_f etc) in it from P:\ to ARMA3 root

2. For ARMA3.exe to run as Buldozer substitute, you gotta unpack bin.pbo and core.pbo, place them into P:\ and also copy all the dlls and other drivers from ARMA3 root into P:\ root

I can't tell what the ARMA3.exe is thinking, but I assume it is somehow Steam related that we have to use that workaround...

1. Copy the project folder and the folder named "a3" with the unpacked objects (Data_f etc) in it from P:\ to ARMA3 root

2. For ARMA3.exe to run as Buldozer substitute, you gotta unpack bin.pbo and core.pbo, place them into P:\ and also copy all the dlls and other drivers from ARMA3 root into P:\ root

I can't tell what the ARMA3.exe is thinking, but I assume it is somehow Steam related that we have to use that workaround...

ok so its working now thanks zerog and atsche.

ok after further review I noticed when you press the 's' key to switch between object or land sections in buldozer there is now a brush tool that looks like it selects a 3x3 grid and raises or lowers the terrain around that selection by pressing the left or right mouse button. handy for smoothing terrain

Edited by M1lkm8n

ok so its working now thanks zerog and atsche.

ok after further review I noticed when you press the 's' key to switch between object or land sections in buldozer there is now a brush tool that looks like it selects a 3x3 grid and raises or lowers the terrain around that selection by pressing the left or right mouse button. handy for smoothing terrain

Hit F1 in a3 buldozer and check the "new" bulldozer controlls :)

im left with a wanting feeling now :)

ive been able to import trees via shezan world tools program but doing so isn't probably recommended as it gives me weird graphical anomalies in visitor3. it also seems to not of randomized sizes and orientation and once in game I can not approach too close to the tree. it's like im hitting the bounding box or something. still fun to mess around with but I guess we will have to wait for appropriate tools to really dig in. I guess for now ill just polish off my terrain in L3dt.

also I don't know about you guys but I have to move all the files we needed to copy to the arma 3 directory in order for buldozer to run into a folder or arma 3 will not load up normally when I want to check out the island.

wYQu04N.jpg

Looking good so far! What size is it? I still have trouble loading my 20x20km map, while my 1x1km map loads just fine!

Wonder why world tools don't work, as it doesnt touch the gamefiles but makes use of import objects scripts?

It's 10kmx10km.

Not sure why world tools doesn't work. But when I import all the trees which is something like 50000+ objects they all import with no rejected objects but in visitor they show up like a normal tree (a green circle) but with a black line sticking out of it. So with 50000+ black lines on the screen I can't even see the land mass I have to turn off natural objects.

Then in game the only tree showing up is the one in that picture.

ive been able to import trees via shezan world tools program but doing so isn't probably recommended as it gives me weird graphical anomalies in visitor3. it also seems to not of randomized sizes and orientation and once in game I can not approach too close to the tree. it's like im hitting the bounding box or something. still fun to mess around with but I guess we will have to wait for appropriate tools to really dig in. I guess for now ill just polish off my terrain in L3dt.

also I don't know about you guys but I have to move all the files we needed to copy to the arma 3 directory in order for buldozer to run into a folder or arma 3 will not load up normally when I want to check out the island.

Did you´ve used an updated Version of the config or did you simply used the A2 styled kind of Config?

once in game I can not approach too close to the tree. it's like im hitting the bounding box or something.

You are right, but this also happens with normal tree placement. It seems like the trees get planted submerged by default and thus you cannot approach through the branches. World tools works fine for me, though I experienced that Visitor anomaly too when I tried to reimport Stratis...

@memphis - do you mean my island config? If so yes it's updated

@zero - so when you imported your trees with world tools you didn't get the anomaly issue? So it's just a v3 thing then.

Weird about the trees though. Oh well we'll just have to wait for the right tools. Hopefully it won't be too long

@memphis - do you mean my island config? If so yes it's updated

Theres alot of new stuff for the conbfig, I have put my set of A3 config together as well, but havent yet gave it a try..will see whether it works

OK guys...may be I need a hint. I always get an errormessage that A3 cant load my wrp file. Any Ideas?

The wrp file is stored in its proper place

The path is properly given into the config

any hint what I might have forgotten?

EDIT:

Might have found the issue.

Typoerror in layers.cfg and missmatch of Cluttervalue seems to cause an error witrhin the wrp.

I also noticed that the wrp wasnt mentioned at all in the logfile (binPBP). That seems to be caused by the definition missmatch of texturename and definition within the layers.cfg...I´ll see...reporting later on

Edited by MemphisBelle