Sign in to follow this  
Kerc Kasha

Kegety's Spectating script 1.05 for Arma 3

I converted an older version of Kegetys spectator script (the non-ace one in the F2 framework) to Arma 3. It has some outstanding issues so if you're used to the one featured in ACE you might notice things are slightly more sluggish. I'm looking into fixing them eventually but it may make it require CBA.

I'd also like to note this fixes the lack of sound in 'bird' spectator also, and the fade to black that has broken most respawn scripts.

bfrOZdo.jpg

Download Link

Credits:

*Kegetys for the original script

*Modifications by Vipermaul

*Modifications by Norrin

*Conversion and fixes for Arma 3 by Kerc Kasha

Known Issues (most carry overs from the old version)

*performance with the freecam is terrible, if it bothers you use chase cam or something

*markers and unit tags can cause performance issues

plus whatevers in the existing readme

Usage:

Copy everything in the rar into your mission folder, if you already have an init.sqf and description.ext don't replace them instead add :

[] execVM "spect\specta_init.sqf";

To your Init

and

#include "spect\spectating.hpp"

in your description.ext

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Fixed a typo in the script, redownload if you downloaded it prior to this

Edited by Kerc Kasha

There is no unit sounds in spectator on dedicated. You do not hear people shooting.

There is no unit sounds in spectator on dedicated. You do not hear people shooting.

Yeah I forgot to change some things prior to releasing this, really quite embarrassing. New version:

Download Link

Changes:

*Some scripts were pointing to older non-existent versions, this has been fixed

*Sound should work now

I didn't notice this stuff because I was using a slightly older version setup differently for my missions but when I played a friends mission who was using the script posted here, those problems appeared. Sorry for any issue this may have caused

It amazes me we are still using this script over a decade later.

Powerful Kerc Kasha. Another thing to make standard in my missions.

Kerc, I noticed this only works if I use the Seagull spawning method, I have respawn activated, and the player respawns at his death location.

Is it possible to activate spectator mode when a player is dead, waiting to respawn?

Edited by SpecOp9

Hello, thank you for your time for porting over the script. Unfortunately, people in spectator mode aren't going to the debriefing screen after the mission is over. They have to press escape in order to see the debriefing. Was this a problem in the ArmA II script?

Powerful Kerc Kasha. Another thing to make standard in my missions.

Kerc, I noticed this only works if I use the Seagull spawning method, I have respawn activated, and the player respawns at his death location.

Is it possible to activate spectator mode when a player is dead, waiting to respawn?

I think so but it'd require modifying the spectator script as you'd need 1) to have it start up when the player is killed 2) close itself when they respawn. Right now neither functionality exists in the script, I'll look into it but can't guarantee anything.

Hello, thank you for your time for porting over the script. Unfortunately, people in spectator mode aren't going to the debriefing screen after the mission is over. They have to press escape in order to see the debriefing. Was this a problem in the ArmA II script?

This is an issue with the script, I think it has something to do with triggers not working properly while camera scripts are running, as if for example you die with the default seagull script the mission wont end instantly but instead will play the little animation where it shows who killed you and then the camera will return to the seagull and only THEN the mission will end. But maybe someone else can clarify regarding this, but I've had this happen in the ACE spectator for Arma 2 aswell.

I usually fix this by doing a globalexecute of 'endMission "END1"' instead of the trigger type.

Edited by Kerc Kasha

Yeah I forgot to change some things prior to releasing this, really quite embarrassing. New version:

Download Link

Changes:

*Some scripts were pointing to older non-existent versions, this has been fixed

*Sound should work now

I didn't notice this stuff because I was using a slightly older version setup differently for my missions but when I played a friends mission who was using the script posted here, those problems appeared. Sorry for any issue this may have caused

And another small update... again I had it pointing to the wrong directory. I'm sure people who have used this have already noticed and subsequently fixed the problem in their own mission but I think it's better for everyone for it to work 'out of the box' so to speak. Same link as before.

Hello

Great script, however I would like some help with something:

How do you (if possible) use the script without re-spawning as seagull (like you could with ACE), ie an action menu.

I tried to call it like so:

[_player, _player, _player] execVM "f\common\f_spect\specta.sqf";

(with _player defined somewhere else obviously) and all it does is show the mission start screen and stay there until I force close A3.

Is it possible to call the script with something like that or some other way, or does there need to be modifications done to the script?

Screen just fades to black after death with this script.... When someone quits and rejoins though the script seems to work as expected. Any ideas?

After the new Arma 3 update on the 15th it just fades to black screen.

*EDIT* figured it out. It is because of the internal spectating mode that Arma 3 just added in the last update. Because of this you have to leave and come back for this script to work.

Edited by bjwimer

Anyone know how to fix the black screen issue?

(leaving and coming back isn't an option when you're hosting a server)

Anyone know how to fix the black screen issue?

(leaving and coming back isn't an option when you're hosting a server)

I'll look into it, I'll post a new update when I find a fix.

Hello Kerc Kasha can I add it to MCC mission?

Sorry about not replying earlier, I used to rely on the email subscriptions to alert me of replies but that doesn't seem to work anymore... Yeah you can use it.

I believe I've found a solution to this, I'll post an update after further testing.

Thanks for this Kerc. Will test next gaming session and report back then.

Seems to be fixed, initially thought that it wasn't but turned out it was a conflict with SBV (which turns the screen black when you get killed).

Made changes to that and all is well! Nice job.

aw, it looks like its broken again someone could confirm it?

Seems like its random, sometimes it works well, but most times the seagull goes up in the sky and the screen goes black

Edited by Lucasmnunesk
added notes

Looks like last week Arma 3 update have corrupted again the spectator script. Any ideas how to fix it ?

Cheers

@Kerc Kasha, this is happening to me:

1 - I've followed all instructions and I installed the script just the same way as the downloaded one.

2 - Now, the script only runs when the player JIP, when he dies nothing happens.

Any clues about that ? Thanks in advance.