rasdenfasden

The Grenade Thread

I thought a thread dedicated to throwy boomy things could be a good thing, considering how much they've changed, and how they're (as far as I know) still work in progress.

Here are my impressions of the grenades:

1. The physics are just so much better. A grenade exploding in a house will actually do what its supposed to!

2. Throwing is far more accurate.

3. The control scheme could use some work.

4. You can't cook them, and now it feels like you should have that ability.

Now, on the 3rd one, and I'm sure we've all seen this by now, is that people trying to access their gear tend to blow everyone up. I set my grenade key to double tap, but I think we could have an overall improvement of the control scheme.

I propose making G switch you to "grenade mode" instead of immediately throwing them. There, you could use your firemode key to switch between throws (for example, the current throw and an underarm one for very short distances), and press the LMB to throw. You should be able to hold your throw like in arma 2, except that instead of making you throw it further (which doesn't seem very necessary), you could cook the grenade instead. If cooking is made possible, I think it would make more sense to have you automatically throw after a certain period of time rather than having the grenade explode in your hand.

Oh, and perhaps leaning could make you use a "throw around corner" type animation?

So, what are your thoughts?

Soldiers are trained to NOT cook grenades.

CTRL+G for throw grenade

CTRL+R for Switch thrown item

G for gear.

and you could do CTRL+T for change type of throw

If you introduce a special grenade mode, you essentially have Arma 2. An extra grenade mode accessible with F or anything else is clumsy and requires alot of time, time which can be used to throw a grenade. And about the gear, well you can always switch keys on them :P Or just think like this: "G" = Grenade, "I" is short for "Inventory".

My thoughts are I like the idea throw around corner type animation for obvious reasons :)

This feature is highly WIP, btw.

I would prefer the throw to be executed at button release, not press. Plus some reference for aiming - either a reticle, or second hand.

Press the grenade throw button - keep holding and use left and right mouse buttons to cycle through throw styles, and "cooking" option, then release the grenade button to execute throw.

I remember that I liked how grenades worked in AmericasArmy - don't know how they work there now, I stopped playing it at version 2.0, could be good reference.

i agree it needs to change, and someone very far more concise then I has put together a concept video i basically agree with

• Like 1

One thing that Arma 3 is missing since breaching buildings is possible, is flash-bangs grenades.

Had great fun last night with 7 of my clan mates last night, taking part in one of the CO-OPs, so many "oops Ive pressed g by mistake, run!!!" moments. So used to pressing G for gear haha. Thankfully there werent too many deaths :p

Hey Smookie,

what about combining the G key with a directional option:

G + W throw grenade up on a roof

G + A lean forward and throw grenade 90 degrees to the left

G + D lean forward and throw grenade 90 degrees to the right

What do you think?

I think one could idea for grenade throwing, would be the option to roll a grenade. Great for CQB house clearing :)

Re throwing grenades around corners: Works for me when I use Q or E to lean around a corner. Haven't tried CTRL+D/A yet, but I imagine that'd work as well.

COD style... no good. And dont get me wrong, I played COD for many years

we have problems throwing grenades by mistake in Arma2, imagine now... and it is in the most common used key in arma2.... looks more like a big trolling :s

I prefer the old method, select the grenade and then use the mouse click. The aiming at least seems to be much better

COD style... no good. And dont get me wrong, I played COD for many years

we have problems throwing grenades by mistake in Arma2, imagine now... and it is in the most common used key in arma2.... looks more like a big trolling :s

I prefer the old method, select the grenade and then use the mouse click. The aiming at least seems to be much better

Old method was way to slow, I like the new G for grenade set-up.

AA3 and RO2 are good overall examples. Throw, lob\roll,cook, easy to aim and predictable.

I think one could idea for grenade throwing, would be the option to roll a grenade. Great for CQB house clearing :)

You do have a few good ideas now and then Andy :)

AA3 and RO2 are good overall examples. Throw, lob\roll,cook, easy to aim and predictable.

You're somewhat able to do just that by simply aiming really low, sometimes the nade hits the ground at a bad angle and does something less desirable though.

Old method was way to slow, I like the new G for grenade set-up.

yea but it was safe. because in A2 you have to select it and then throw it, now is just a button and is out.

and of course this is an alpha...

Do you know if explosions management will be improved ?

Looks like that some objects block explosions, some don't:

I'd love to see incendiary grenades and offensive grenades which are used in enclosed areas (Mk3A2) in ARMA 3 too...

But I'm pretty happy with the way how frag grenades work in 3.

Press the grenade throw button - keep holding and use left and right mouse buttons to cycle through throw styles, and "cooking" option, then release the grenade button to execute throw.

I also thought of the idea to hold g to throw. But instead it could be: Hold G to ready grenade, keep holding and throw with left mouse. Cooking could be initiated with right mouse. If you somwhere in the process release G you abort the throw if the opportunity to throw has passed. Cycling could be done by F or R or whatever button one would want.

Soldiers are trained to NOT cook grenades.

CTRL+G for throw grenade

CTRL+R for Switch thrown item

G for gear.

and you could do CTRL+T for change type of throw

When I was in basic training they taught us to cook them for assaulting bunkers, or any situation where the enemy might just toss it back out at you. Maybe that's changed, but I was definitely taught that cooking a grenade is useful in certain situations.

My thoughts are I like the idea throw around corner type animation for obvious reasons :)

This feature is highly WIP, btw.

What grenades REALLY need is something to slow their use down.

I would actually want a "charge up time". On easier difficulties it could be a physical thing on the hud. Basically just a bar that started to fill up once you pressed and hold G. When it hit 100%, thats when you lobbed the grenade, but if you stopped before getting to that point you would have no penalty because the animation only happen at 100%.

Right now its just way to easy to grenade spam because its so fast its like you have a shoulder mounted 40mm.