Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Play withSIX - Launcher, Downloader, ServerBrowser - FULL ARMA3 Alpha Support +more!

We're happy to announce full support for the ARMA 3 in Play withSIX!

forumsignsml.png

Official Announcement

Beta Announcement

Don't miss out on our Plans revealed announcement!

Play withSIX is the premier launcher, content downloader and server browser (and much more) for the ARMA series and currently other BI games.

We would love to hear your feedback, suggestions and requests! Please feel free to use this thread to discuss, or post directly on our Support page.

If you would content like mods to be added or updated on our network, please let us know.

30uz51x.png

Play withSIX now!​

or

Looking to host your own custom repository with mods, missions, teamspeak and server configuration?

Edited by Sickboy

Nice to see you on top of things Sickboy! SixUpdater/Play withSIX all the way!

Kudos buddy and great work by your team and you :bounce3:

I don't like the UI it's really bad, hard to navigate or make sense of it.

I don't like the UI it's really bad, hard to navigate or make sense of it.

I see, we're working on both, small and bigger UI changes, but would love your suggestions on possible improvements - would you have any?

Thanks

Not to be pushy but a UI redesign should be your top priority. I've tried six updater so many times with arma 2 and then uninstalled each time because it was just a headache to navigate. Gonna give it another try with arma 3 because this program has a lot of potential.

btw, is six updater the defacto mod browser for arma 3? Will we still be able to use mod folders? Will the steam workshop be integrated in any way?

Thanks.

Not to be pushy but a UI redesign should be your top priority. I've tried six updater so many times with arma 2 and then uninstalled each time because it was just a headache to navigate. Gonna give it another try with arma 3 because this program has a lot of potential.

btw, is six updater the defacto mod browser for arma 3? Will we still be able to use mod folders? Will the steam workshop be integrated in any way?

Thanks.

This is Play withSIX, not the old SIX Updater, but perhaps you mean the same?

What is and isn't possible with later releases is uncertain but looks promising, for now everything we were able to provide for ARMA 2 seems to be possible for ARMA 3.

Edited by Sickboy

That's honestly the first bad thing I've heard against Play's UI. I wonder how many still bash it, not realizing there is a difference? Branding issue, perhaps?

Having been away for a while, it's nice to see that you are still working hard SB - thanks for this - very useful!

I see, we're working on both, small and bigger UI changes, but would love your suggestions on possible improvements - would you have any?

Thanks

Play withSix in my opinion has great potential, but does need a few tweaks here and there, so far from memory and a quick 2 second play, here's a few things which bugged me about the UI

The far left tiled area was confusing as to what was going on, as an example:

I first click Arma 2 CO, dayz pops up as a mod

I clear Dayz as the mod (fine) then click on TOH, Dayz is re selected, I have to keep clearing it.

I don't even have Dayz installed, although I did a while back.

Access to the individual or extra mods only seems to be available with one of the main mods selected

Although I generally just manually install any mods I want anyway, but this seemed strange. I would have thought you could also select additional mods for the base game?

Something else kind of insignificant, but can be disorientating.. On some lists it seems to scroll line by line whilst (fine) yet on others it seems to scroll page by page by page.

Hope this is helpful in someway, even though a bit random (and hard to post due to BIS servers still being hammered)

Play withSix in my opinion has great potential, but does need a few tweaks here and there, so far from memory and a quick 2 second play, here's a few things which bugged me about the UI
Thanks, input appreciated!
The far left tiled area was confusing as to what was going on, as an example:

I first click Arma 2 CO, dayz pops up as a mod

I clear Dayz as the mod (fine) then click on TOH, Dayz is re selected, I have to keep clearing it.

I don't even have Dayz installed, although I did a while back.

Automatic DayZ selection on first use when ARMA 2 CO is selected is intended behavior, however due to a bug it was selecting DayZ also when switching to other games.

This bug is solved for next build.

Access to the individual or extra mods only seems to be available with one of the main mods selected

Although I generally just manually install any mods I want anyway, but this seemed strange. I would have thought you could also select additional mods for the base game?

Correct, we're wrapping up custom modsets and local mods support, should be arriving soon.
Something else kind of insignificant, but can be disorientating.. On some lists it seems to scroll line by line whilst (fine) yet on others it seems to scroll page by page by page.
Hm, it should scroll either line by line or item by item, page scrolling shouldn't occur unless an item requires the whole page :)

The Item scrolling is something we would like to ditch in any case, this should be especially easy once we make the .NET 4.5 jump (but that excludes XP users).

Where do you experience the page by page scrolling? Thanks!

Hope this is helpful in someway, even though a bit random (and hard to post due to BIS servers still being hammered)
Definitely, appreciated!

Please feel free to let us know any other feedback, suggestions and wishes :)

The UI just needs to be simplified, I think you've tried to integrate too many things together. It's also not clear where one thing ends and another begins, like I find it hard to what is part of which game and if the games are related because they look like they're in the same part of the menu. There are too many options as well, making it all very cluttered, I've got nothing against the options, it;s why people use it most probably, I would just like them hidden down a layer.

What I expected was to start it up and for it to auto detect everything I have installed. Then just have a big page of Icons like Origin of my games, so it's clear and I know exactly what is what. Then if I want to install a mod, just go onto the mods page and search for it and have it all install automatically.

It just needs to be really simply and clear, otherwise I might as well struggle along with the horrible standard UI stuff of Bohemia's games.

Thanks for the feedback scaramoosh.

I can totally understand what you mean by only showing stuff that is auto detected on your system, otherwise it is confusing.

We are improving the GUI a lot, but there are some technical challenges left and this is way we use the Community Preview label, just like the ARMA 3 alpha we need to test and build upon all of the things you can and want to do with your game.

I believe you need a rebranding, I have used six updater for years now and once you figure out how it works it is great! but I have a lot of techo-retard friends (older too say 40+) that simply don't understand six updater and now simply refuse to even install play with six! the UI is better but it needs to have a simple version!

find mod --> install mod --> create shortcut ---> play! thats it!

I do agree with the point that interface should be more simple. The user shouldn't see all available options from the beginning. Interface should start from a simple list of games. When user selects a game from the list he will see Servers|Mods|... When user selects Mods he will see the next list or menu, etc.

I believe you need a rebranding, I have used six updater for years now and once you figure out how it works it is great! but I have a lot of techo-retard friends (older too say 40+) that simply don't understand six updater and now simply refuse to even install play with six! the UI is better but it needs to have a simple version!
Well withSIX was the rebranding :)
find mod --> install mod --> create shortcut ---> play! thats it!
There's a whole lot more to (especially multiplayer) mods installing and playing than installing single mods. Server browser and auto mod enabling (10, 20, 50 you name it), is a primary use case.

Active mods also change per server etc. However I agree that creating shortcuts for more simple usage is welcome and planned.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

I do agree with the point that interface should be more simple. The user shouldn't see all available options from the beginning. Interface should start from a simple list of games. When user selects a game from the list he will see Servers|Mods|... When user selects Mods he will see the next list or menu, etc.
Are we talking Play withSIX or the old SIX Updater?

I would say the default view of Play withSIX is pretty clean:

34o8rx5_thumb.png

(click for large)

The idea behind this central controller is to keep the user informed about his selections (to which actions will apply), and it is setup in a logical order:

- Social info

- Select Game

- Select Mod

- If Multiplayer mode enabled, Select Server

- Join Server or Launch game

To the left expanding is social features like buddy list and chat.

To the right expanding is access to the content browsers for Games, Mods and Servers, as well as News.

However we do agree that the full view is perhaps showing too much (tabs for starters). Will throw your ideas into the group in any case.

Edited by Sickboy

I've used SixUpdater and Play withSIX with ArmA II and I do not like the program. I understand how everything works and it does the job, but there are some issues I've always had with it.

1. Over-complicated - Simplify the face of the program, hide the advanced features. I know many, many people who prefer DayZ Commander over this because Play withSIX is so bloated.

2. Ugly - Play withSIX is a HUGE update aesthetically over Six Updater. It keeps getting better and better but I think it still needs some work.

3. Performance Issues - I've always had performance issues with Six Updater and Play withSIX. When downloading any mod, it makes my PC stutter.

That's all I can think of now.

"Game not found".. is it something else I have to do? I have instaled it and its only for arma 2. :/

Click on the ARMA 3 logo and open settings in the dark bar. On the right side set the path to where you have ARMA3 installed.

Did you launch ARMA 3 alpha at least once? Try to launch Steam as Administrator and launch ARMA3 again, close it and now open PwS, it should recognise your arma 3 installation automatically.

I've used SixUpdater and Play withSIX with ArmA II and I do not like the program. I understand how everything works and it does the job, but there are some issues I've always had with it.

1. Over-complicated - Simplify the face of the program, hide the advanced features. I know many, many people who prefer DayZ Commander over this because Play withSIX is so bloated.

2. Ugly - Play withSIX is a HUGE update aesthetically over Six Updater. It keeps getting better and better but I think it still needs some work.

3. Performance Issues - I've always had performance issues with Six Updater and Play withSIX. When downloading any mod, it makes my PC stutter.

That's all I can think of now.

Thanks Nicholas, appreciate the feedback!

1. Could you make an example of what are advanced features according to you? I feel we are still far from feature bloat, however there are definitely many aspects of the UI we can probably simplify, hide etc.

2. Subjective/Personal, but we definitely agree there's a lot more work to be done there

3. Especially in case of PwS (because it is more optimized than SU), these should be related to programs or services you run on your computer, namely security suites. If you exclude the SIX Tools binaries (rsync and zsync) from these, you should find everything works just sublimal without any stutter, and things should be a lot faster.

Instead, we could perhaps add an Antivirus program option so we can scan the files for you upon completing the transfers.

You might not experience these issues with other downloaders because they just use plain ftp/http protocols and do not offer differential updates/realtime delta patches like our system.

The benefit here is less bandwidth use, and as a result less time updating the files.

The downside is that we're more sensitive to security suite interference, but is something easily solved by client configuration.

Edited by Sickboy

i can't manage to get server presets from servers list in play with six so i stick to six updater

This sums it up. First of all, the program uses barely any part of my screen, while the buttons are huge, and enlarging the screen mostly enlarges some white space: Not very efficient. Also, I don't really need it to look that fancy, I would much prefer a list with checkboxes next to the names of my modfolders, maybe with a little icon next to them, and a column to indicate that they can be updated. That way I can just select which ones I want to load, and press play.

Then, in another tab a list of things that can be downloaded. Currently what I have and not have are in 1 list, it is confusing and I don't want see see most of them anyway.

The autoupdate feature is great, but I loathe using the program itself.

EDIT: Then again, I am somewhat overly sensitive to user interfaces.

Edited by NeMeSiS