Sign in to follow this  
OMAC

Community interest in Rearmed for ArmA 3 (integration of A2 and OA content with A3)

Some of you may know about Take On Helicopters: Rearmed

http://takeonthegame.com/rearmed/

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Take_On_Helicopters_-_Rearmed

which made most ArmA 2/OA official and community content (addons, mods, missions, and campaigns, not including official A2/OA missions and campaigns) playable from within Take On Helicopters:

c1SJMHL7iAM

The purpose of this thread is to gauge community interest in Rearmed for ArmA 3.

It could provide the following:

• Integrate ArmA 2 / Operation Arrowhead content with ArmA 3

• Integrate Take On Helicopters (+ Hinds DLC) content

• This means community addons, mods (including terrains, vehicles, units), campaigns, and missions would work in A3 with little or no changes

• Eventually, support for ArmA 2 DLC content could be added (BAF, PMC, ACR)

• And perhaps even ArmA 1 (at least its terrains like Sahrani)

• Could be provided for free on Steam along with ArmA 3, perhaps as modfolder to make it optional

Given the success and advantages of Take On Helicopters: Rearmed, would people be interested in a similar effort for ArmA 3?

Such an effort would largely eliminate the substantial effort currently involved with porting ArmA 2 addons/mods to ArmA 3. I think it would be awesome, and could generate continued sales of ArmA 2 + OA + ToH content for BIS! :cool:

I would love to have Arma2+OA merged with Arma 3!

That would awesome thing to happen, I would convert my ArmA2 missions/campaign to ArmA3 in notime.

the workload would be too much, i rather see new content made from scratch on arma 3's quality level. if they can give the task to the community, the fine. dev time on new content only please. thank you.

Some of you may know about Take On Helicopters: Rearmed

http://takeonthegame.com/rearmed/

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Take_On_Helicopters_-_Rearmed

The purpose of this thread is to gauge community interest in Rearmed for ArmA 3.

It could provide the following:

• Integrate ArmA 2 / Operation Arrowhead content with ArmA 3

• Integrate Take On Helicopters (+ Hinds DLC) content

• This means community addons, mods (including terrains, vehicles, units), campaigns, and missions would work in A3 with little or no changes

• Eventually, support for ArmA 2 DLC content could be added (BAF, PMC, ACR)

• And perhaps even ArmA 1 (at least its terrains like Sahrani)

• Could be provided for free on Steam along with ArmA 3, perhaps as modfolder to make it optional

Given the success and advantages of Take On Helicopters: Rearmed, would people be interested in a similar effort for ArmA 3?

Such an effort would largely eliminate the substantial effort currently involved with porting ArmA 2 addons/mods to ArmA 3. I think it would be awesome, and could generate continued sales of ArmA 2 + OA + ToH content for BIS! :cool:

well, thing is, it would be far from easy, since there would be a lot of changes within the content files, and not only for the config files (which is the case for tkoh rearmed). It would be the same situation as it was with A2 content never being updated to OA standards (including thermal maps and alike):

Additional proxies for the weapons, aditional selections, different heads, different way to handle the gear and some of the gear and so on and so forth.

I really don't see it happening. On the other hand, i see this as an opportunity to actually get new stuff inside the game, and not reheating that old soup. People who made addons and have the mlods shouldn't have such a hard time porting things over. Of course, BIS previous content will not make an appearance..unless they actually plan releasing A2/OA content in mlod format for people to start porting things over.

Edited by PuFu

In theory it really sounds nice. Although as mentioned before I wouldn't be too much interested in old content missing all the good features ArmaIII will bring such as custom animations for weapons among other things. If even Arma2 content in Combined Operations is missing features such as proper thermal maps, adjustable scopes, backpacks and so on...

It's just going to be worst with ArmaIII. Campaigns and missions were nothing great in the ArmA franchise so far, well nothing close to the epicness of OFP anyway. Moreover the community already made great, often better, islands than the ones shipped with any of the previous games.

I remember a similar initiative to port Armed Assault content to Arma2 was made but never completed for reasons I can't remember.

Edited by dunedain

Wouldn't it be harder to port arma 2 pbos into arma 3 than TKOH: Rearmed? Because Arma 3 uses the new and updated flight models and updated character models.

It would be interesting, yes, but practical? With all the new changes I doubt it would be very easy or possible, even. With the new reload animations, loadout changes, and the like, I doubt that it would be a good idea to basically revert back to II with the clunky reloads.

But really though, interesting idea.

the workload would be too much, i rather see new content made from scratch on arma 3's quality level. if they can give the task to the community, the fine. dev time on new content only please. thank you.

This effort would be performed mainly by community devs. BIS devs would be way too busy on A3!

I don't care too much about the vehicles/units. But Chernarus would be awesome.

This effort would be performed mainly by community devs. BIS devs would be way too busy on A3!

What community devs? Yourself?

Isn't ArmA 3 on RV4 now, instead of RV3? Though besides PhysX I'm not aware of the difference, wouldn't that be a bit of a barrier? Perhaps it'd be something like the CAA1 project. Either way, I don't think A2 content would be on par with ArmA 3, though TOH looks as if it could do.

Although, I'm no expert, so I'm hardly aware of what it'd take, or what barriers there'd really be.

What you are talking about here already exists...the "CAA1" addon already brings Arma1 content/islands into Arma2. So perhaps after Arma3 is released someone will pick up where CAA1 left off?

What you are talking about here already exists...the "CAA1" addon already brings Arma1 content/islands into Arma2. So perhaps after Arma3 is released someone will pick up where CAA1 left off?

And what a beautiful job they did with that mod I might add. Sahrani is still to this day one of the best maps I've played/built on.

We're completely in support of this idea!

Custom terrains obviously need OA/A2 vegetation and building objects to port properly among other things.

I would hope that they use their resources creating new content rather than importing old content from previous games.

This would most definitely be the most awesome, needed and most wanted dream come through!

You have my beans! :)

^ ^ :D

Some of the many primary motivators of this potential effort:

ace_logo.jpg1.jpg

Edited by OMAC

Well I don´t care much about the untis and stuff, but it would be a shame if Chernarus was completely abandoned. That is really worth porting over. Chernarus+ would be even better because of the enterable buildings

I'd also vote for Chernarus. It is a great map, very realistic looking and well detailed.