Sign in to follow this  
tamernator

(not) Auto aim

Just look at 01:03 , u will see that target automaticly changes position of crosshair putting it on your target. Easy mode or am'i missing something ?

Also look at 00:55 - 00:56 (it does not auto aim that much but if u look closely u will see it)

Also look at 00:59

Also 01:08 - 01:11 WTF ? The crosshair jumping all the time down and up , notice that i said not moving but JUMPING

Edit:

It is good feature when you are hiding behind something and firing, but it should not work on objects further than 10 meters, then it would be ok , otherwise crosshair jumps too early and skips too big distance on the further objects thus helping to aim = not very realistic.

Edited by tamernator

Crosshairs do not point to the same spot where the bullet actually hits, in 3rd person even more so. This is supposed to be an improvement of that. (auto aim:j:)

Not auto aim... more like auto correction. The crosshair when in third person will point to where the barrel is pointing, instead of how currently in ARMA2, when you're behind a wall, you point your crosshair at the target, press the trigger but the bullet hits the wall instead... Something like that I supposed

Considering what Mr_Centipede said, the idea seems to be to simulate a real-world person's tactile sense of where the muzzle is pointing, seemingly for the benefit of someone using first-person "hipfire" view or using third-person view... i.e. to show off infantry animations. ;) But it also reflects that the "general area of aim" represented by the crosshair is shifting between the near object, that being the target, and the far 'object', that being the terrain behind the target... the only way to have a "point" of aim now is to aim through iron sights or an optic (or as COD calls this "ADS").

Note that even in COD you have to at least momentarily tap or hold ADS to "snap to target" aim-assist -- that is, even in COD there is no auto-aim in "hipfire" view -- and what you saw in the Arma 3 E3 Gamespot video is not analogous to auto-aim/aim assist.

autoaim.jpg

Been in since OFP. Disabled in harder difficulty modes, of course.

In the context of that video and A3, though, I concur with Mr_Centipede - the crosshair seems to indicate the bore line rather than the sight line.

As was previously discussed by a dev around the time of E3, the new crosshair is also not pixel-perfect as far as point-of-aim goes; while it looks like it came out of a conventional/arcadey shooter with an expanding ring crosshair, #1 it appears that there is no expansion/widening of the crosshairs (unlike said shooters) and #2 there is no dot in the center. When Ivan had the soldier enter supine (aka "Last Stand lol" position) starting at 1:38 and fire, it appears that he did not adjust the aim to counteract recoil/muzzle rise, so eventually the crosshair "jump" there is from the muzzle going off-target altogether and being instead pointed at the terrain/hilly area behind the target!

I don't think that's auto-aim, what I think it is, is the crosshair actually being where the muzzle of the weapon is aiming, like in previous titles where you were behind a wall, the crosshair was aiming at an enemy soldier but when you fired you only hit the wall infront of you, because the crosshair wasn't where the muzzle was actually aiming.

I don't think that's auto-aim, what I think it is, is the crosshair actually being where the muzzle of the weapon is aiming, like in previous titles where you were behind a wall, the crosshair was aiming at an enemy soldier but when you fired you only hit the wall infront of you, because the crosshair wasn't where the muzzle was actually aiming.

That's exactly what it is. You can see this effect more clearly in a different video (no, I don't remember exactly which one) where the crosshair clearly jumps to an object in the foreground as the player's rifle points at it.

Long story short: this has absolutely nothing to do with "auto aim". There is no cause for panic.

But u must admit guys that it will help alot for players to aim, and notice that the criosshair jumps on bigger distance than he moves barrel , i mean he jumps from A to D instead of A to B or C to D .

With other words crosshair jumps to the target too early , before crosshairs center is even on the target. When crosshair is close to target he jumps directly on the target , it skips some distance and jumps on the target too early

Edited by tamernator

Just look at 01:03 , u will see that target automaticly changes position of crosshair putting it on your target. Easy mode or am'i missing something ?

Also look at 00:55 - 00:56 (it does not auto aim that much but if u look closely u will see it)

Also look at 00:59

Also 01:08 - 01:11 WTF ? The crosshair jumping all the time down and up , notice that i said not moving but JUMPING

Maybe he enabled auto aim for the demo? idk, in any case it's trivial. You can set the difficulty settings as you like.

Starting at 2 minutes, specialy in the pistol part, you can see it more easily:

Yes, as Fox and others have observed, the 'jumping' crosshairs are part of a new feature - 'Crosshair Context-Sensitive Position' (catchy, huh?) - which is currently under evaluation. The design goal of the feature was to help teach/visualize our simulation of projectiles.

I don't personally consider it to be a 'perfect solution', as it presents a number of problems (some of which may be alleviated by spending additional time on implementation, if it's considered worthwhile); however, it is something that we currently intend to keep in the for the Public Alpha. I fully expect the community response to be calm, rational and considered, as most debates online tend to be. :cool:

As a side note, CameronMcDonald is correct that auto-aim (a separate feature entirely) has been in since OFP (at least, in Elite). A fact that surprised the hell out of Lord Ivan when a chippy young designer dared to correct him ;)

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

[EDIT: RiE has confirmed it's the crosshairs moving where the muzzle is pointing at]

This will be very helpful, at least to me and others I know, where as most of the time you don't exactly have a sense of weapon position in the game and it's especially annoying when you're behind cover and you think you have your gun far out enough from any muzzle obstacle but then you fire and you end up hitting the wall instead of your target. Very nice feature and I support it.

Edited by WhiteArcticFox

It is good feature when you are hiding behind something and firing, but it should not work on objects further than 10 meters, then it would be ok , otherwise crosshair jumps too early and skips too big distance on the further objects thus helping to aim = not very realistic.

...that auto-aim (a separate feature entirely) has been in since OFP (at least, in Elite)

Heh, I remember it in Cold War Assault back in the day because when I first started out (in Cadet difficulty) the muzzle would "stick" to enemies.

Auto aim has been existed in arma 2 since arma 2 released , but you can choose enable or disable it .

I think arma 3 is same too .

Hi, IMO... the Auto-Aim aid should aim to the nearest known enemy for the player, after a while... sure that the player will want to select him/herself who to shoot 1St, if the Autorifleman, the Marksman or the T. Leader and would discover that most of the times is better to do it on your own than let anyone/anything to do it for you. Let's C ya

As Jay Crowe mentioned, it is not a perfect solution in its current implementation.

For example, if you stand close to a bush and you want to aim at something behind it, it snaps the cursor to that bush,

which is kind of distracting and makes it even slightly harder to aim at the target in distance.

Or if you are inside the bush, the cursor often entirely disappears from your view (depending on where it snaps to onto the bush around you).

Not a problem for those who are used to play with crosshair disabled, but others may find it distracting to say the least.

So, some tweaking might be neccessary.

One of the rules of war will fix any bush crosshair problem. When in doubt, empty the magazine. If something is hiding behind a bush or a door, put enough lead into it that nothing can hide behind it anymore. :)

I've grown rather fond of the ARMA 2 crosshairs with the general aim area and the smaller jumpy actual crosshair. I found it a good representation of how steady your aim is. As someone who served in the military and has gone through live fire training such as the ones implemented in the games training area in the video above. The general motion of moving does have a huge impact on where bullets actually land, especially with heavier weapons like a SAW which honestly is a lot of fun to shoot in the prone position on a firing line but very frustrating in a moving fire line and even more frustrating from a moving vehicle.

I would like to see a system the incorporates both the old and a bit of this new system as I do recall several instances of trying to fire out of windows or over low walls, over fences, between fences, over guard rails, over the low walls surrounding a roof ect where you would for all reason think you were clearly over the wall, only to have your bullets hit the wall and alert the enemy to your location and then have his bullets also hitting the wall, your torso, your face ect. Perhaps the ARMA 2 style crosshair with the function of this new crosshair system but only up to 2 or 3 meters from the player to compensate for the immediate area in being able to tell if your barrel is actually pointing out the window or not, and would it understand if the window is penetratable, open or closed? If I am aiming at a guy between two houses through a window, i'm obviously aiming at the guy and not the window.

They really need to make windows shatter when hit with bullets and not just hold together with magic like they do in ARMA 2, that way if the crosshair says Hey there is a closed window infront of you, you expect the smash of a window on the first round and then crosshair would jump out a little to show the muzzle is indeed pointing out of the window and not at the frame of the window.

This is a pretty important bit of the game because if your not hiding behind cover and shooting from behind cover, your obviously not scared of the bullets and it is in turn not being very realistic.

ARMA should be played WITHOUT crosshairs!!! :p

...as for 3rd person...

Should be banned :D

It's not auto-aiming; it's just a 3d crosshair showing the actual position it'll hit, rather than just being stuck in the center of the screen.

It's not auto-aiming; it's just a 3d crosshair showing the actual position it'll hit, rather than just being stuck in the center of the screen.

Hi, then i think that's a good thing. Let's C ya

This, which is a good idea since you should check muzzle clearance before firing