Sign in to follow this  
CATOBAR

Campaign Mode - Enemy Carrier

What is the point to the enemy carrier, I have destroyed it now a few times in the campaign story and it just comes back, so I see no valid reason in hunting it down at all. So I then leave it alone and let it take two islands at the rate I take one which doesn't require much mathematics to understand that the war to control all the islands is against the player.

Choices:

1. follow the carrier around endless killing it

2. follow the carrier around and retake islands it conquers

3. let the carrier take all my islands and just sit protecting a single island for a laugh

What is the point of all this ? Don't get me wrong there's a degree of fun to be had conquering islands, but if the overall result is this...

Does the carrier actually ever stay dead at any point ?

Is it actually possible to conquer all the islands if your only taking 1 for his every two ?

In the meantime, life's too short...

Edited by CATOBAR
altered entire text, instead of making a new thread

I totally give in (I simply don't understand the logic of the game) its pretty much just a game of cat 'n' mouse with no substantial meaning or objective. I refuse to spend another four days running around like a headless chicken chasing an indestructible carrier around that is taking islands at twice the rate and speed that is possible for a human.

Reluctantly turned of the game, But the frustration of what appears to be a futile never ending war is something i can only tolerate for a few hours per month.

In the campaign, without giving too much away, the enemy carrier is required for the ending, that's why you can't kill it yet. In strategy mode, you can kill the enemy carrier right at the start if you want and are able. Right now I'm playing on maximum difficulty, trying to play by ignoring the enemy carrier and just scaring him off at each attack. Very difficult to stay ahead on island captures.

Thank you for the ray of hope, I stopped trying to kill the carrier and started to take islands over on the right side of fulcrum but by the time I had conquered the first of them the AI carrier had taken control of two of mine and since that time I have simply spent two days chasing it around island to island for each one i retake it takes another.

I am assuming that based upon story lines I am trying to find a torpedo to attach to a manta, could you answer that once that is complete and used against the enemy carrier the game will end ?

My best theory after reading your statement is too counter act the enemy by taking control of the same type of islands as the AI regains, thus making sure my current production rates and resource income is maintained until i get the required technology and then chase the carrier. If nothing else you have gave me something to try Species1571.

Again Thanks

Edited by CATOBAR

It will be pretty much over after that, yes. There will still be a little more to do, but it will be about determining how the game ends for you.

As for choosing your island types, I don't think it matters, you can reprogram any island to be any type of island you need it to be via the map. Just try and maintain a chain of islands that are linked by a continuous line, if you know what I mean, as that supply line determines your production capability. For example, if you have 20 islands, but they are broken into two smaller chains of say 5 and 15, it would be better to have your stockpile island in the chain of 15, that way it has a supply pool of 15 islands. If you had the stockpile as one of the 5-island chain, you would be losing the line of supply from 15 islands.

It appears the time it takes the AI to conquer an island is longer when your engaged in taking a island yourself, since i was always in time warp chasing it around things were going to fast due to the speed of time, now I figured this out its not so annoying and I'm actually have a whale of a time. Thanks for the information on the supply chain.

If anyone is interested, found a awesome setup for the fleet of manta aircraft:

Laser, Rocket, flares, with MK II armour

Works very well and really speeds up the island take over process...