smacker909

SP: Tankistan Control / work in progress

Insurgency mission [sP] game play. - Updated 09/3/2012

** Featuring fast cars, faster women and huge explosions! **

----

mission

----

Detals:

You and your team start at random position in Takistan with vehicles and some support options. You are tasked with preventing the spread of the insurgency in Takistan.

Insurgents establish an H.Q. and then attempt to build cache sites in and around towns via supply convoys. Once a supply truck reaches it's destination, a cache site is built there. After a cache site is established a new convoy will begin.. after predefined delay. This continues until the insurgency has enough active sites to win. All locations (your start position, convoys, cache sites, H.Q. sites, Leader locations, IED's, hostiles.. etc.) are decided randomly during each mission for re-playability.

----

To prevent the spread of insurgency, you must complete enough objectives before the enemy has enough active cache sites to win.

-Destroying a cache will count as an objective and remove the cache site from list of active insurgent sites.

-Destroying a supply truck in route will count as an objective and prevent the build of a cache site.

-Destroying an H.Q. will count as an objective and prevent new supply convoys until a new H.Q. is built.

-Destroying AA vehicle near H.Q. will count as an objective.

-Capturing insurgency leaders will count as an objective and provide all currently available Intel.

-Destroying IED factory counts as an objective for U.S.

----

Intel can be obtained by interrogating civilians, searching killed insurgents, capturing leaders and disarming IED's. Some civilians are loyal to the cause and may notify hostiles of your presence when you start interrogating in their town. Some will resist being detained. Some civilian by-standers may become agitated and shoot at you during interrogations, while others may strap on a bomb vest and come for you or a member of your team.

Collected Intel as well as completed objectives will be added to your map. Intel can be related to cache sites, supply convoys, H.Q., IED factory and insurgency leaders. When you detain an insurgent leader, you cannot interrogate him directly... you can only call for prisoner pickup (chopper). He will be interrogated back at base and the Intel will be provided AFTER he is *debriefed* ;)

Be aware of IED's on and near roads. You can disarm them for points and to gain Intel on the IED factory (objective). Your engineer has better chance to disarm IED's. After locating and disarming enough IED's, you will be given (on map) location of the IED factory. IED factory location can also be obtained from civilian interrogation.

----

There is a point system for support items. Use radio 0-0-9 for details.

The following support options are available:

-Vehicle Repair support

-Medic support - MEV Blackhawk

-Transport - Blackhawk

-Blackhawk purchase

-Reinforcements

-Squad deployment (Four man squad at map position. Contact updates provided)

-Apache CAS

---

Setting of the following options is available at missions start;

- Number of active cache sites required for Insurgency win.

- U.S. objectives required for U.S. win.

- Supply convoy delay timer - Time between cache site build and next convoy.

- Interrogation delay timer - Time to wait after successful interrogation before next interrogation.

- Amount of support points you start with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission uses the following:

- Using - Binesi's "BIN_taskDefend.sqf" script - for better defense!

- Using [FOCK] Mikie J's IED script - for IED enjoyment!

- DeltaFiveOne & others for lots of good ideas & testing!

- BIS Forum members for ideas & scripting help!

-----

Updated 9/3

- Reinforcements are free if within 50m of US Base (start position)

- Added some vehicles patrols and other surprises to random insurgents

Edited by smacker909
9/3 update

Hi. I am really enjoying the mission, It's lots of fun.

Though I think it could use more vehicles to choose(up armored Humvee) from at the base and maybe a UAV terminal at the base so you can look for and intercept supply trucks.

though it's already great, I think the Civ spawning script might need a little bit of work, I noticed it wouldn't spawn them in less dense farmland areas such as around Nagara. I also noticed it would spawn civs correctly for large cities like Feruz abad and Rasman, but samller villages like Sakhe or Nur they wouldn't spawn in till I had walked through most of the village even when inserted down the road from the start of the settlement.

I was also thinking maybe you could add a feature that after you destroy enough insurgents/caches/supplies you could unlock some kind of armor at base or the ability to call an apache or something to your position.

Anyway thanks for the mission and hope this helps in some way.

Thanks for the feedback leathery,

Regarding the UAV, I can consider that, but I wanted to limit the ability of finding the convoys to interrogation, at least for now, since finding the convoy and destroying the supply truck is easier than taking on the defense of a cache site and at least interrogation comes with some risk. But I may still consider. I have stumble upon the convoy a few times... that's fun!

As far as the civ spawning, I'm just adding the interrogation actions to the stock ALICE civs.. and it's default settings. I believe I can tweak some of the default settings to increase populations though. I will check into it.

I think unlocks are good idea. I already included some additional supports with H.Q. destroy. I thought about not spawning the empty blackhawk from the beginning and having that be an unlock. I will add others :)

Thanks for playing/testing

Made lots of updates since initial post. I have tested and corrected some issues as well hopefully some will give it a try ;) Works with vanilla, but I prefer using ASR_AI !

---

Update: 7/29; Change to the repair truck call.. it was never getting close enough, so now once it's under 100 feet of your initial call location, you get option to point at and repair (also reload ammo) vehicle.

Edited by smacker909

Very interesting mission smacker909! I especially love the feeling of having to interact with civis to see if they know about any whereabouts of insurgent activity, I actually had to chase down a few civis that bolted on me upon contact so that would be very interesting if we had to physically restrain those particular runners. Felt like an episode of Cops haha... I have played a few rounds so far and will leave more feedback as I spend more time testing this mission out for ya. Any chance of adding randomized IEDs in the future? I think that would greatly increase that immersive/atmospheric feeling of "anything going down at any time" that you've got going on here. Maybe even some other allied units operating around the AO doing their own waypoints/objectives, hopefully they wouldn't interfere with the player's specific objectives. Maybe even random civis pulling out (well being equipped anyway) with handguns after they see some of their peers being harassed? Again, just immersive/atmospheric additions. Having a lot of fun with this so far, good job. A LOT of potential here. Thanks for this mission!

Edited by DeltaFiveOne
Added commentary

hey Delta - Thanks for playing and testing.. Good ideas! I think IED's is next on the list. I'm looking at FOCK-ers-IED in fact.. so maybe this coming weekend. Time permitting. I like the allied units operating independently and civs drawing handguns. Will have to think about how best to implement those without too much strain on the game and my brain ;) Please keep the feed back coming and advise of any issues. Thanks again!

Very good mission, I like it. Reminds me of that third (i think) mission from Red Harvest campaign where you had to find enemy commander in Chernarus, detective style.

I'm not too fond of Takistan though so I converted it to Chernarus and USMC faction, works like a charm.

hey Delta - Thanks for playing and testing.. Good ideas! I think IED's is next on the list. I'm looking at FOCK-ers-IED in fact.. so maybe this coming weekend. Time permitting. I like the allied units operating independently and civs drawing handguns. Will have to think about how best to implement those without too much strain on the game and my brain ;) Please keep the feed back coming and advise of any issues. Thanks again!

Thanks for your receptiveness. Looking forward to the new additions! :yay:

KiberKiller - I had tried using mostly scripts for easy porting. Glad you worked it out. Glad you like it so far !

Delta - I hope to have some new stuff by the weekend ;) I liked the pistol wielding civilians idea!

Here's the "originally" named Chernarus Control with USMC instead of US Army and ACE Wounds system (requires ACE obviously), if anyone interested:

http://www.mediafire.com/?c4ro5ne7fjexuzk

One thing I haven't yet figured out is where you define the teammates that you'll be getting (I don't really understand the reasoning behind placing them from scripts to be honest, when you could just as well just add them to the map in editor) and where you define which faction enemy is.

Any hints? I'd like to make a UMSC vs RU and RU vs UMSC versions.

kiberkiller, there is a script (I think called mySquadSpawn.sqf) that spawns your team.. there were a few reasons. one had to do with reinforcements. Feel free to place them directly on the map though.. I believe you would just need to name them as named in the script. Enemy factions are decided in scripts that spawn convoys, cache sites and h.q. sites.. also in interrogation script for civs.

Do convoys start at a random location or do they start from close to an HQ?

Because I though it was the latter and I was mapping out the directions the convoys were going, to backtrace then to an HQ but it never worked out for me.

Delta - Yes, I have added the FOKers IED script and added chance of civs whipping (well slowly drawing) out pistols and going hostile, but ran into issues when changing the ambulance call to a chopper .. working on that and then will repost.

Kiberkiller - The start positions are random. I could change it to make the start positions near the H.Q., but the issue with that is, one of the possible intels from the civs is convoy start position..so I guess I could just eliminate that one. Also, I tried to keep convoy distance roughly similar, so by having one starting point, the routes will be many different distances.. which may not be a big deal. Thoughts?

Edited by smacker909

Kiberkiller - The start positions are random. I could change it to make the start positions near the H.Q., but the issue with that is, one of the possible intels from the civs is convoy start position.. so I guess I could just eliminate that one. Thoughts?

I would make start position of the convoy about 500-1000m from the HQ and remove the convoy start position from civs, or make them only give you a big area to search AND give a completely wrong position about 50% of the time.

It would be nice if civ gave completely false info for all sorts of intel. Would make the game more challenging.

I was also thinking, do you think you could try to make a single script file where you could define all the units that are being used (friendly AIs, enemy AIs, vehicles, etc) so that it would be easier to port this mission to other factions and maps?

It shouldn't be hard to make a script that defines different variables and all other scripts just pull from it.

If you did that I'd help you port the mission to different maps and factions, if you want.

This sounds like an awesome mission! Exactly what I like to see when coming back into the ArmAverse after a long absence. I'll wait for smacker909 to upload the new version before I give it a try. Sounds like that will happen sometime today.

Thank you for the hard work and creativity! I look forward to giving this a try as soon as you update it.

I would make start position of the convoy about 500-1000m from the HQ and remove the convoy start position from civs, or make them only give you a big area to search AND give a completely wrong position about 50% of the time.

It would be nice if civ gave completely false info for all sorts of intel. Would make the game more challenging.

- This is something I can work on for next update ;)

I was also thinking, do you think you could try to make a single script file where you could define all the units that are being used (friendly AIs, enemy AIs, vehicles, etc) so that it would be easier to port this mission to other factions and maps?

It shouldn't be hard to make a script that defines different variables and all other scripts just pull from it.

If you did that I'd help you port the mission to different maps and factions, if you want.

- It's a good idea, but would take some doing. I'm not sure how soon I could have this done, but will consider.

- This is something I can work on for next update ;)

- It's a good idea, but would take some doing. I'm not sure how soon I could have this done, but will consider.

Thanks, sounds great.

This sounds like an awesome mission! Exactly what I like to see when coming back into the ArmAverse after a long absence. I'll wait for smacker909 to upload the new version before I give it a try. Sounds like that will happen sometime today.

Thank you for the hard work and creativity! I look forward to giving this a try as soon as you update it.

- Thanks Juggernaut - Im working all day today and will work on the mission tonight.. so maybe late tonight or tomorrow.

I just gave the mission a try. I couldn't wait!

Great first impressions so far. The mission definitely is not finished, but it sure is a fantastic start. I really love the idea behind it. Calling it a SP Insurgency does not do this mission justice - there's so much more to it than that! I can't wait to play my next game in this mission and see what the future holds. I have not yet completed the mission, just tried it out a bit and got familiar with some of the mechanics.

I definitely suggest creating a Chernarus edition, or possibly in the future custom island support. Chernarus is a much more interesting landscape and has more variety in terms of gameplay. I understand a user has made a Chernarus port of the released mission, but it is dependent on ACE or other addons. Dependencies are never good for the general public, myself included. Only mods I use are JTD and JSRS.

Thanks for replying Juggernaut. I wasn't planing on making it dependent on any addons. I only use JSRS and ASR_AI myself. Maybe once I can get all of the issue ironed out I can think about porting to other maps. I'm still at work but will work on it once I get home, hope to have a new version posted tonight or tomorrow.

Im working all day today and will work on the mission tonight.. so maybe late tonight or tomorrow.

By all means take your time, don't let mission making become "work" for you as well. I'm sure you already know that though. Thanks for the update man!

Updated and uploaded. I only had a short time for testing.. so please advise of any issues. Thanks!

- Initial post update with changes and mission link.

Updated and uploaded. I only had a short time for testing.. so please advise of any issues. Thanks!

So far I'm enjoying very much, do other non-interrogated civis pull out handguns or only civis being interrogated? I noticed an issue after I disarmed 2 IEDs, after each it said intel was obtained about the whereabouts of an IED construction site but nothing ever popped up on the map? I received the support points for each disarm though. Thanks again for the new release.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Also wanted to ask if there's any way to randomize starting position of the team like in standard Insurgency? Would add a lot more dynamic gameplay.

Edited by DeltaFiveOne
Correction

Hi Delta,

Civs will only have chance of turning hostile and being armed when you "detain" them.

For the IED's, you get map intel on the IED factory after disarming 7. This is coded into [FOCK]ers IED script that I used. I didn't spend too much time trying to modify what he had done.. just wanted to ad it to this mission and incorporate the scoring for disarming and objective for the factory destruction. If you have ideas , I can look into changing how intel is given. But, based on the number of IEDs, I don't think we would want to get 100% intel on the factory after disarming just one ;)

As far as randomizing start position.. of course there is a way.. ;) Most other things are random though so I'm not sure how important randomizing start pos is to this mission. Would you want to see all of the vehicles and weapons creates at the random start position?