Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Improved tone mapping for 1.61 proposal

I would like to improve dynamic range of the image in OA 1.61 using new tone mapping method. It is possible to experiment with it in 93616 already.

The goal is not to dramatically change the game visual output or style but still get improved contrast with better use of available dynamic range.

I believe this is very close to the final values I hope to include in future game iterations as default:

setToneMapping "Reinhard"; "Reinhard" setToneMappingParams [0.9, -0.003]

This way resulting image histogram is better but overall it is very close to what it was before.

Slightly related is proposed slight increase of sensitivity during low light conditions (night):

setEyeAdaptMax 8

Again, it is not massive change but more fine tuning.

Few other commands you may be interested in:

setEyeAdaptMin

setToneMapping "Arma";

setToneMapping "Filmic";

Filmic tone mapping is quite impressive but imagery is very different to what is in Arma so far. Also, its characteristics are somehow limited for all purpose use, but may be quite nice for some specific usage (e.g. cut scenes).

Great, now here is the noob question... where do i put these commands?

I usully dont hang around in the beta forum, i came here to see if anyone know how to activate the "injFX" when running beta, and then i saw this...

Open the editor, place down a game logic and put the "set..." commands into the init line. You also need to place a player character on the map.

Have fun ...

hmmm...nice to see reinhard tone mapping in. As i am somewhat familiar with it and they way it should work, can you expand some more on the values? I have search the biki and i guess all this is fresh enough not be listed there.

setToneMappingParams, what are the parameter values? I would expect them to be multiplier, burn and gamma if i am not mistaken. care to elaborate a bit on those parameters if possible?

to conclude, newest addition are the following commands, that only work per mission basis, and you can't force them via game settings:

setToneMapping - values Reinhard, Arma, Film (any other?)

setToneMappingParams - what are the values for, and do the other tone mapping modes (arma and film) have parameters available?

setEyeAdaptMax what are the possible values?

setEyeAdaptMin

Filmic tone mapping is quite impressive but imagery is very different to what is in Arma so far. Also, its characteristics are somehow limited for all purpose use, but may be quite nice for some specific usage (e.g. cut scenes).

I tried it in game, looks great!

f*cking finally! It's been said so many times, about tonemaping gets overbright if looking at the ground etc. BIS you are awesome!

Is this the same "light treatment" we actually see in Arma3 videos? Overall lightning looks so much natural whether it be day or night time... and is a great improvement IMO

was default tonemap improved? Joined warfare server today, game looked a bit nicer after patching.

Will it help to fix this bug?

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/30017

Any improvement to the small but annoying light problems will be very welcome.

it's not only zargabad, happens on all maps. Even when cloudy weather, it still gets over bright if u look at the ground.

Can anyone post high-res before-after screenshots?

I tried and the only difference I see is that the game is darker but not much else?

I used commands in the init.sqf

Wow...

Today a bit earlier into the day, I was thinking about ArmA III and the improved lighting, and how bad the HDR is in Arma 2.

I was thinking a bit on the subject on changing the HDR, and if there is a way.

Now I come here and BAM, delivered.

Not only are you guys good game devs, you're also wizards.

EDIT: Well, after playing around with settings for a bit, I noticed the image is improved, but the terrible effect of the view going over bright if for example, looking at the ground, is still there.

Edited by Archosaurusrev

The terrible effect is not so easy to fix in OA really. The topic title says exactly what the goal is here.

Maybe part of the problem is that in A2 there is one universal aperture control for day and night.

Just as an experiment you can easily lock the aperture to

setEyeAdaptMax 0.0002

This way you probably get ground in a way you may like it more (but of course, in dark places or night you will not be able to see anything :)

Filmic tone mapping is preset in the game to

"Filmic" setToneMappingParams [0.22, 0.20, 0.10, 0.30, 0.01, 0.30, 7.0, 2.5]

It is quite difficult to set filmic to be similar to what is in the game now but as it looks quite interesting some users may find it useful to give their missions or cut-scenes different color and feel.

Wow...

Today a bit earlier into the day, I was thinking about ArmA III and the improved lighting, and how bad the HDR is in Arma 2.

I was thinking a bit on the subject on changing the HDR, and if there is a way.

Now I come here and BAM, delivered.

Not only are you guys good game devs, you're also wizards.

EDIT: Well, after playing around with settings for a bit, I noticed the image is improved, but the terrible effect of the view going over bright if for example, looking at the ground, is still there.

Is there any way to alter the brightness sensitivity for the HDR control?

It needs to be less sensitive to bright areas around the edge of view. Only the central part of the image should be used to measure average brightness.

Is there any way to alter the brightness sensitivity for the HDR control?

It needs to be less sensitive to bright areas around the edge of view. Only the central part of the image should be used to measure average brightness.

There is not simple way to do this and even if there is, it is certainly not part of improved tone mapping.

...Screenshots to see the difference?

check this album

(i just used setToneMapping "...", and did not mess with other parameters)

Edited by gammadust

realism freaks start demanding "Filmic" now as default :)

Looking closely at them... if i had to choose gameplay wise i would opt for "Arma" setting

On a more dramatic approach, between Reinhard and Filmic, i do still prefer Filmic, there are at least more detail in the shadows, the contrast is better dealt with at that level.

WOW, i tried in zargabad and chernarus, that give a really interesting color change !

More realistic, more contrasted, add more details to the surface. And the shadows look far better in/outdoor

Really good job and hope to see it in a next release :)

setToneMapping "Reinhard"; "Reinhard" setToneMappingParams [0.9, -0.00987];

this is what i use on one test server, the other one runs "filmic"

what it gives is darker sky in the period prior sunrise and period after sunset and lil darker overall

So, this feature won´t affect old missions\campaigns as it needs to be set in the mission files or it will be something to choose in the menu (or .cfg....)?

Thanks for the examples Gammadust: It Looks like its altering the image gamma curve?

Edited by EDcase

in a way you could say that, but the purpose behind is more ambitious...

i am left wondering how exacly light sources and respective magnitudes are "corelated" (ie. arbitrary values - sun = 1.0, moon = 0.7 or sun - EV = 0.0, moon - EV = -2.0)

is color temperature taken into account, etc...

Edited by gammadust

Hi!

With this new update DayZ is suffering greatly from just being pitch black, no matter what brightness and gamma is set to. I don't know how widespread NVG's and town lighting is in vanilla Arma 2, but there's basically none of that artificial stuff going on in DayZ.

Also the extreme contrast in light levels between looking away from and towards the setting sun is a bit unsettling.

Is there any way to reconfigure this lighting for myself?

Link to my thread with screenshots: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10477

To clarify: I don't mind the night being dark, but maybe someone who has been outside during a moonlit night should take a look at these lighting settings. Sorry for this crass comment, but I'm just confused and slightly emotional about this issue :)

Edited by Witherfield