Sign in to follow this  
arye_r

A Huge 6DOF LEAP from TrackIR

Just stumbled upon this, putting it in the wishlist thread just seemed wrong...

Moderators, for your consideration.

OK. So... Imagine yourself in-game, pulling the trigger of a virtual rifle (or even a dummy), just like if you were holding an air guitar.

Or driving a car with your hands on a virtual steering wheel or even steering your parachute with your hands holding virtual steering handles...

Possibilities are endless and looks like there's a solution.

TrackIR!? What a joke...

Take a good look at this :

9vTI0c56vCc

_d6KuiuteIA

SDK's are free to download for developement and the device itself is ready for preorder for 80 bucks...

http://leapmotion.com/

Me? I'm speechless and filled with hope.

What do you people think? How hard could this be to implement?

@Devs, are you aware of this thing?

Wow! I'm just thinking about pre-ordering it.

Just preordered.... What the hell :)

Moved to Offtopic cause I guess this is interesting enough to continue discussing. It really has nothing to do with Arma 3 and indeed, if you want it in A3 I suggest you use the wishlist thread.

Maybe if it was implemented into ArmA it would track your hands and your character in ArmA would do the same thing. Would be awesome for hand signals, such as the bird!

But it does look pretty interesting, very accurate.

I am very interested in this - Going to start looking into the possiblities of this with Source SDK (Because they have it working on Source engine!) and ARMA 2

:D

How does it work? Strange, there is not 1 word anywhere about how it works. I'm assuming it's IR, but, I will not buy it till I know some technical details.

What are the tech specifications for the LEAP?

TBD.

Just isn't good enough. You could be ordering an empty box.

How does it work? Strange, there is not 1 word anywhere about how it works. I'm assuming it's IR, but, I will not buy it till I know some technical details.

Just isn't good enough. You could be ordering an empty box.

Yeah,

This is the only reason I am not ordering LEAP - This very second. I want to know how it works...

very tempted to preorder, ty for linking

Why would you want to preorder it? How many applications are there that would support something like this?

Why would you want to preorder it? How many applications are there that would support something like this?

Windows shell supports it. ;)

P.S. So it would appear that touch screens are not a panacea in anything larger than 10".

Buying now! - Or rather pre-ordering: this could be a viral trend research inquiry into how many people would actually buy this type of product, meaning it is not yet in production in any tangible form.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

most of my work applications, im pretty sure: adobe suite, adsk suite

Looks good, but I dont think I could be arsed to be at a monitor waving a pen around and holding my arms up playing arma for long missions.

BTW has anyone thought this might be a scam? Just airing on the side of caution, that website is a bit "thrown up online with a form" for my liking. Agree with Pelham on the empty box thing.

Anyone know more about it / company / distribution other than just youtube vid and a few pages of a website and a credit card form?

Not saying thats a fact, but could do with allot more to sway pre orders from just whats on it so far.

TrackIR!? What a joke...

Erm...you do realize that TrackIR has completely different purpose than this thing? Headtracking vs. Handtracking? Not quite the same.

But anyway, it looks interesting, also that the website says that you can chain up 2 or more of these.

Myke;2154719']But anyway' date=' it looks interesting, also that the website says that you can chain up 2 or more of these.[/quote']

How many hands do you have?

Myke;2154719']Erm...you do realize that TrackIR has completely different purpose than this thing? Headtracking vs. Handtracking? Not quite the same.

Not quite the same indeed, but not head vs hands. More like head vs anything in the virtual 4-feet cube above the device.

Edited by arye_r

How many hands do you have?

To increase range and/or accuracy most probably. I find it fishy that such a small device can measure the volume of space, even if it's just the bit with your hand, so accurately.

P.S. Has anyone thought of CPU load on these things? ;) How much does TrackIR eat in terms of processing distribution?

To increase range and/or accuracy most probably. I find it fishy that such a small device can measure the volume of space, even if it's just the bit with your hand, so accurately.

P.S. Has anyone thought of CPU load on these things? ;) How much does TrackIR eat in terms of processing distribution?

If i remember correctly, TrackIR5 has this little chip inside, which does most of the work. CPU load is dramatically lower than the FreeTrack variant.

If i remember correctly, TrackIR5 has this little chip inside, which does most of the work. CPU load is dramatically lower than the FreeTrack variant.

All of them have some sort of processing units, still not comparable to a CPU, though. Question lies in how much is allocated for this particular task in this particular setup.

Nice.... now can we actually do the things like in that Tom Cruise movie? Flipping around pages and stuffs (cant remember the title, the movie where they stop murder from happening by seeing through the future. Was it Bourne Identity?)

Minority Report was my first thought as well. Looks like a smaller scale, more accurate Kinect.

Minority Report was my first thought as well. Looks like a smaller scale, more accurate Kinect.

and way damn cheaper.... MS wants 150 dollars for a kinect on PC shiiit

70 dollars for that cool piece of hardware count me in.

Even though I would only use it for showing off and web browsing most likely still awesome.

Would be really awesome if you could do hand gestures in Arma 3 with it give out hand signals and all that.