Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

AI Improvement

hi.

in the ArmA 3 features, it has been said that the AI will be improved.

I'd like to know if we could have more informations about it:

for example, in ArmA 1 and 2, the AI driving and pathfinding was terrific, even on a straight road, especially when we wanted to make a convoy.

or the pilot AI (who had just the name and look of pilot):

will the AI abl to drive and find their way better than now, or pilot air vehicles better?

or, for example, make only "pilot" guys able to pilot a chopper or a plane? cause until now, if the vehicle was unlocked, even a infantry guy could take a jet or a chopper and fly with it...

again, what about the combat behaviour?

a lot of ArmA 2 mod (like Zeus AI, or ASR AI) make the AI much more effective during the fight (find cover, fire at the enemy much more often, take weapons or ammo from dead bodies):

will the ArmA 3 AI be more like this?

for example, when I put en enemy group on the map, and a flying chopper, the gunners have problems to engage the infantry (they will only fire a round or two, every 20 seconds if I'm lucky...), whereas if I use Zeus AI, the gunner will really fire at the guys on the ground.

thanks for the answer.

Wiki

hopefully developers will integrate these features into the vanilla game, but as you've seen yourself, you can always use mods instead

yes, but mods for ArmA 3 don't already exist.

so, I wanna know if all these things that mods bring to the game will be integrated to the vanilla version of the game. (BTW, why do we say "vanilla" version?)

"vanilla" as in the most simple, clean version. Of ice cream, that is:)

The single biggest improvement ZEUS and ASR make is extending AI spotting and engagement ranges. It's the core of both mods, and hopefully BIS takes their adjustment as a new standard.

glad to hear that!!!

I've heard Dwarden mention IAI a couple of times on here. No idea what it means.

He was joking about people calling him an AI.

I don't think so,

There has been no word on AI from what I remember, I think he could be hinting about something :P

I caled Dwarden an AI and he responded that he is in fact an IndependentAI ;)

I caled Dwarden an AI and he responded that he is in fact an IndependentAI ;)

Very Funny! :-)

Anyway, there are lots of high voted tickets in the CIT for ArmA2 already regarding all those major AI flaws, i really hope they fix them over time. Rather wait with final release until Q1 2013 or even Q2 2013, i don't mind. As long as it gets almost "perfect". And for a good "perfection" feeling, AI must be major major overhauled. :-)

Im wondering if they will actually get round to fixing the AI rate of fire bug/feature, its been there since flashpoint.

Its like yeh a m134 minigun has the same rate of fire as a single shot m16 after 200meters away or whatever... Realism? What effin realism.

Edited by Opticalsnare

for example, in ArmA 1 and 2, the AI driving and pathfinding was terrific, even on a straight road, especially when we wanted to make a convoy.

I think you mean "horrific".

Just make it so they can't snipe me with an AK47 in less than a second when im hundred meters away.

Why? I can hit you in a second with an AK from a hundred meters away. If you can't find the Gameplay Options menu, play something easier.

will the AI be able to drag and heal the wounded on their own initiative?

Hi, the last time that i'd played a MP coop mission on the ArmA2, many AIs fired at me without be facing to me, they were walking E to W facing West but their bullet were coming South; that was a common thing in MP and i think that's a bug and a thing that makes the MP loose points. Never seen it in PvP from the OFP to the ArmA2. Fix it will be an improvement. Let's C ya

Why? I can hit you in a second with an AK from a hundred meters away. If you can't find the Gameplay Options menu, play something easier.

Are we talking real life or game?

LOL no and options haven't really worked for me they're extremely accurate even right out of full sprint.

Are we talking real life or game?

In the game. But 100m isn't a hard shot to make for a trained shooter. Even the Russians expect point-target accuracy at 300m.

LOL no and options haven't really worked for me they're extremely accurate even right out of full sprint.

Well the options wouldn't have worked before patch 1.60. But if you put AI Precision at 0.5 or so, they have a 5% hit rate at 300m... with snipers.

In the game. But 100m isn't a hard shot to make for a trained shooter. Even the Russians expect point-target accuracy at 300m.

Well the options wouldn't have worked before patch 1.60. But if you put AI Precision at 0.5 or so, they have a 5% hit rate at 300m... with snipers.

But then that breaks everything all I want is the AI to take a realistic amount of time to react and to fire on target or location of threat. Do they always have their weapons zeroed correctly for the range.

I haven't played and analyzed the AI recently so maybe something has been done.

It's a far bigger problem that the AI are usually glacially slow to aim and open fire. They have an hour-long turn radius and no aiming deadzone. On the flipside of the problem, it shouldn't be too hard to make them aim for longer at the appropriate ranges. If their guns are zeroed at 300m, they don't need to adjust it all for a normal firefight. The AKM is something of an exception to this in real life, because of the round trajectory.

Judging by the lack of games that successfully transition AI between long and short (or CQB) behaviour, I gotta assume that this is hard as hell to pull off. I honestly can't think of a game that even attempts to do this with any sort of tactics in mind. So say Player is in a town and targets an enemy AI at under 100m with the AI doing the same. If a new set of behaviours/animations were to shift to the AI, what would happen if he also KnowsAbout an enemy firing at him from 300m from that hill outside of town? Does he shift to a dual mode and is this type of behaviour shifting even feasible with such a large possible entity count?

Im just asking as it really is unprecedented.

I'd have to believe the A.I. would determine the method of fire, stance, movement and such simply by the environment. If they are in a MOUT setting, the range does not matter to a great extent as they could brace on a corner of a building or window if accessible for long distance shooting... That, or they could go prone in the middle of the street. ;)

RIP Paul Castle - Chuck Norris's cousin, Shogun of Harlem's love child.

Edited by Scrub

Judging by the lack of games that successfully transition AI between long and short (or CQB) behaviour, I gotta assume that this is hard as hell to pull off. I honestly can't think of a game that even attempts to do this with any sort of tactics in mind. So say Player is in a town and targets an enemy AI at under 100m with the AI doing the same. If a new set of behaviours/animations were to shift to the AI, what would happen if he also KnowsAbout an enemy firing at him from 300m from that hill outside of town? Does he shift to a dual mode and is this type of behaviour shifting even feasible with such a large possible entity count?

Im just asking as it really is unprecedented.

Not sure we need different modes, just config tweaks based on range.

If the AI aims at a target 100m or more away, he acts normally. If the target is under that, he suddenly gets a large aiming dead zone and faster reaction and turn speed. Likewise, the predictive position tracking system could have a hard distance limit if the target is nearby, with the AI switching attention between predicted position and the point where the enemy disappeared. (Vehicles already do the latter.)

Not sure we need different modes, just config tweaks based on range.

If the AI aims at a target 100m or more away, he acts normally. If the target is under that, he suddenly gets a large aiming dead zone and faster reaction and turn speed. Likewise, the predictive position tracking system could have a hard distance limit if the target is nearby, with the AI switching attention between predicted position and the point where the enemy disappeared. (Vehicles already do the latter.)

Well that sounds easy enough! A simple Distance check and the listed tweaks go into effect - is this in effect in any way now via Vanilla or AI mod? Is the Distance check quick enough to give the hair splitting reaction time we need?