bushlurker

Carraigdubh, County Leitrim. - A 5x5km Geotypical Irish Terrain

carraigdubh_menu_ca.jpg

Carraigdubh, Co. Leitrim

A 5x5km Geotypical Microterrain

*** St Patrick's Day Special Edition - Beta v0.8 ***

Introduction

Once again it's time to inflict my obsession with landscape & natural environment modelling on a wider public!

This time the excuse is, of course, St Patrick's Day, and the landscape in question is an entirely synthetic representation of a small area of County Leitrim, one of the northern Counties of Ireland - close to the border with Northern Ireland.

Unlike my previous "Geotypical Microterrains" which were essentially public exercises in terrain modelling & texturing, this terrain is considerably more "finished". My central focus, as usual, has been on creating a believable natural environment (that part is mostly finished)... but this time there's actually a few typical locations to visit (these are considerably less "finished" and will be expanded and added to for the final version)...

Geology & the Local Environment

County Leitrim contains a great variety of landscapes....

High moor topped mountains in the north of the County rise above drumlin-covered lowlands, eskers and glens. Geological features shaped by glacial action are a distinctive feature.

Many areas are noted for their scenic beauty and nature conservation value. (And particularly good trout & salmon fishing!)

Leitrim, like other counties in Ireland, was subjected to total glaciation on a number of occasions. Glacial episodes have had a profound influence on the landscape, shaping the underlying geology and depositing massive volumes of drift.

Little is known about earlier glacial episodes as all traces have been erased by subsequent glaciations. In Ireland the most recent glaciation is called the Midlandian Glaciation and occurred roughly 20,000 years ago. The ice extended across Leitrim from North, North East to South, South West...

During glaciation, erosion was most severe on the higher summits and in the deeper valleys which were aligned parallel to the direction of the ice flow.

The lowlands by contrast were mantled by a thick cover of stiff, clayey till deposited during a later stage of glaciation which was moulded into the form of small hills or drumlins. These drumlins are generally oval in plan however a broad range of shapes and sizes exists.

The drumlins are orientated in the general direction of the ice flows and are a valuable indicator of glacial activity.

3D_Heightmap.jpg

Since the majority of soils display significant limitations to agriculture. Combined with the nature of landform, grassland agriculture has been the dominant land use within the County.

In this synthetic landscape I've attempted to depict all these features within a small but coherent area.

CD_Beta_07_small.jpg

CD_Beta_06_small.jpg

CD_Beta_05_small.jpg

CD_Beta_01_small.jpg

CD_Beta_03_small.jpg

CD_Beta_02_small.jpg

CD_Beta_04_small.jpg

TerrainmakersTechnical Details

Heightmap - 1024 x 1024 x 5m

Satellite - 10240 x 10240

Layer - 20m

Ground textures - 8 (so far)

All models are stock Arma 1 or 2 with occasional custom retextures

Software - L3DT, Daylon Leveller, Photoshop CS2, Wilbur, Visitor 3PE, Oxygen 2PE, World Tools

Missions!

Pretty terrains are all very well, but without missions to actually play they're just so much scenery... I'm therefore particularly grateful to the Mighty Wolle, who selflessly sacrificed his couple of days off this week to convert some classic missions for Carraigdubh...

co06 Cleansweep BAF

A recreation of the famous OFP mission, set in the main town of Ballybrian.

co06 Bardak's Toy

Bardak has a new toy, it's up to you to break it for him...

co06 Sgt Moore BAF

After one guinness too many in Molly McGlone's, Sgt Moore has managed to get himself kidnapped - again! Fortunately we had him tagged after the last episode, so your team can track him down using your high-tech Beepy Thing.

SP Steal The Tractor

"You're in position Pat, so you are..."

Someone has stolen Patrick O'Brien's tractor - he knows who they are and where they're hiding and he's going to get it back so he is!

*** all missions included in the main download ***

Requirements

Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead or Combined Operations is required!

Download

Carraigdubh BETA v0.8 @ Armaholic

Also available on the Six Updater Network

***UPDATE*** Serverkey & V2 .bisign Files (Thanks to Jedra for the bug report!)

*** EDIT ***

Please note - Wolle has updated two of his missions which were included in the original terrain download...

Please grab the updated versions below for tat Maximum Oirish Experience!

Cleansweep v101- Fixed the missing notes and briefing text.

Return The Tractor v101 - Removed cwr2_abel in the list of required addons.

Additional Missions

Coop04 - Rapid Rescue - Rescue Sean from the Brits! - Another fine mission by Wolle!

ZK's BattleZone V3 MSO v6b - - A Warfare/Battlezone/MSO Multiplayer Mayhem mission by Kremator!

Credits & Thanks

Bohemia Interactive - of course!

Foxhound & Armaholic - best hosting ever!

CWR2 Team & Wolle - patience, models loan & advice and missions!!

Mikero - absolutely essential tools!***

Shezan74 - equally essential World Tools

Mondkalb - cunning techie tricks

Tupolov - random intro script

Roger Bodger - terrain playtesting

Satnam Sagoo - original suggestion

Happy St Patrick's Day!

B

Edited by Bushlurker
  • Like 6

OMG YES!

This will work perfectly with the IRA troops Stagler just released!

Thanks!

And just in time before I head off to the pub! Happy St. Patrick's Day! :D

Holy s***! Bushlurker, you know what? This looks brilliant! Looking SO good, that I think I'm going to piss my pants :D Waiting with huge interest this one. Thanks!

Pages are enabled!

Sorry I disabled the hotlinking. I need to otherwise this month we are going towards 25TB of traffic (on just one server!) and I am not going to pay for that. So, if you do not mind please remove the direct link. :D

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Edited by Guest

please remove the direct link.

Done! - I was just in the middle of PM'ing you there to say the thread was active now...

Thanks for all your help mate!

B

Kudos!!! This certainly is a finest quality map... which grid size did you use this time Mr. Bush?

Bajanding!!! :p

thats it...i must finish the Irish Infantry lol

Happy St Patricks Bush. Was waitin for this mate nice one.

Excellent map, thanks.

Only 1 minor suggestion, you could probably remove 3 in every 4 of the road side bollards, maybe even more.

Excellent work! Fun missions as well.

-k

Wow, this is beautiful! Only one problem...

The fecking pub was closed! On Paddy's day????

PSorry I disabled the hotlinking. I need to otherwise this month we are going towards 25TB of traffic (on just one server!) and I am not going to pay for that. So, if you do not mind please remove the direct link. :D

And I told him this morning exactly not to do that... :D

thats it...i must finish the Irish Infantry lol

Indeed, now that would be a good idea. ;)

Wow, this is beautiful! Only one problem...

The fecking pub was closed! On Paddy's day????

Even more worse, the only fecking pub has closed on this day. :butbut:

Happy St. Paddy's day guys!

This map is fantastic!

I did a simple BAF mission for this map. I'll send it to armaholic and also post a link in this thread. Super fun map!! Love it! Give us more like this.

This map is fantastic!

I did a simple BAF mission for this map. I'll send it to armaholic and also post a link in this thread. Super fun map!! Love it! Give us more like this.

Cheers! Was hoping someone would do that. :)

I can't say enough good things about the quality of this map. The colors, the layout...pretty much everything screams "beautiful"! Heck, I wish I lived there after flying around it a few times. :D

O.M.G. it beautiful. Great job Bush.

(..... I can see another community member being hired by BI or BIS contractor lol !)

really liking the map :) if you plan on making it bigger in the future i have two suggestions :D

1: A border line on the map (if thats possible)

2: a GAA pitch/club house

Thats a lovely map - thank you! Do you plan to extend it a bit or already working on a new bigger map that is more suited for helicopter & vehicle battles eg something like (grassy) steppe or tundra map/island? :)

Sweet island! Thank you, bushlurker!

FYI:

I got error messages with startparameter -showScriptErrors in the island Intro...

greetz