Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

What makes you say that? The RTE/OME from VBS2 is completely different in functionality. Just copy & paste will not work. Despite that, the VBS2 editor is also already rocking up it's years, and that is showing...

100% agree... I use the OME far more often in VBS2 than I do the RTE. The RTE is actually fairly awkward in my opinion.

I honestly could care less about a 3D editor. The 2D works fine and is often faster than 3D for doing things.

Things that actually improve gameplay like real trenches and stuff should be a higher priority than the editor.

I just don't understand where all of these resources from the influx of purchases have went if features are getting cut.

Maybe the team had a really bad night in Vegas after E3 :p

I think we all kind of thought: More DayZ sales = more money/features for Arma 3 but perhaps more features would have been cut or there are secrets we just don't know about. Either way, I'm gonna stay positive and still anticipate a very good game coming.

Well my fear is that money from the recent DayZ motivated sales originaly intended to develop A3 was redirected to develop a stand alone DayZ. These Forums will burn If that is true.

Too bad dayz wasn't made by someone in the community who wasn't working at BIS... If I had been the author of DayZ and Arma sales went up I'd expect the return investment be more features to make even better mods in the future.

I just don't understand where all of these resources from the influx of purchases have went if features are getting cut.

Guess a few people are thinking the same, but remember most of those sales would have been 1/4 of the original RRP or less and problems aren't automatically solved just because you have money in the bank. They need to be confident they can provide the solution in the given time frame.

What makes you say that? The RTE/OME from VBS2 is completely different in functionality. Just copy & paste will not work. Despite that, the VBS2 editor is also already rocking up it's years, and that is showing...

All I want is a 3D environment where I can place objects and units in the 3D space exactly as I want them and have them remain in that location when I run the mission. No more trying to guess if the 2D editor outline is actually the shape of the object and reflects which direction it's facing and no more crazy setPos and setDir hoping that the server will render it correctly.

Basically no more of this.

Resources obviously doesn't mean money but people and time. Also it would be nice if people stopped blaming DayZ for everything just because they made some minor changes in patch. Last time people went insane just because somebody suggested that weapon damage changes were made for DayZ which is insanity.

Edited by frostwyrm333

All I want is a 3D environment where I can place objects and units in the 3D space exactly as I want them and have them remain in that location when I run the mission. No more trying to guess if the 2D editor outline is actually the shape of the object and reflects which direction it's facing and no more crazy setPos and setDir hoping that the server will render it correctly.

Basically no more of this.

This, completely this. Not looking for something as complex as cryteks sandbox that can mold terrain and place lights or any of that, just something so we can see if objects actually line up and stay that way! This would be an ENORMOUS boon to all types of gameplay and would offer even more venues for game types. CQB maps are a pain not only due to A2's movement but also due to the fact that when you try to set something up, if it's not all part of the same model then it becomes a huge pain in the keester to set up.

Yes, I totally agree. If the 3d editor was in a3 I would still use the 2d 90% of the time. All I would do in the 3d is place objects and what not. I really have trouble believing that there aren't enough resources to do this as the 3d editor in arma 2 is almost at that point - but I guess it must be more complex than I think...

My guess is useability, stability and optimization. I don't think BIS goal for arma 3 is neccessarily to make us old fanatics happy (which would mean adding in 3d editor, more gamplay features, trenches, underground stuff, ai improvements etc.) but rather to attract new players who would really like arma but are driven away by its bugs, clunkiness etc. I think the thought process is that arma 2 already has more than enough "stuff" and is many times deeper than any other game, but now it is up to arma 3 to truly unlock that potential to the non-fanatic. Just my interpretation of BIS's actions.

I don't think BIS goal for arma 3 is neccessarily to make us old fanatics happy

WHAT?!?!

They WILL make the old fanatics happy, or I WILL physically beat someone!!!

hombreloco%5B3%5D.jpg

How do optimizations and better performance in no way target said old fanatics? People in the community have been asking for that here well enough. Don't forget there was also an announcement that they need to train what is supposedly a great sum of new staff, so they could also be pulling more people from the project to help familiarize the newbies.

Between 3d editors, render to texture, differed lighting, optimizations, new control system, better campaign and multiplayer, phsyics, better videos and so on, cuts are going to be made somewhere, either that or more delays which, while I'd certainly not be against, also means more budget...but eh..with all the dayZ sales I'm not entirerly sympathetic to budget constraints at the moment.

But honestly if the 1.62 thread taught me anything, is that we shouldn't worry about anything just yet, because when we worry, we panic, and we do it way too often, and go overboard with it, to the point that if we hear one negative piece of info then suddenly BI is a sellout and all hell breaks loose.

How do optimizations and better performance in no way target said old fanatics?

I believe that old fanatics got somehow blind and/or just used to the very rough edges of the game that are in most cases result of a 11 year old legacy, and they simply don't notice it anymore. For example where an OFP Veteran would say: "Well, that's the engine, it has been doing that always.", and then carries on. A person unfamiliar to the game would say: "Why on earth can't I select my weapon with the number keys above the letters? This is so annoying!", and then probably ragequits.

Its all about profit and sales! Maybe BIS will just make & sell some "Premium"/"ExtraSpecial" DLC's so new players aren't that overhelmed/"shocked" by A3 and its features. Just compare the demands and wishes of old veteran club with the young el1t3 tacticool crowd..... ;)

Its all about profit and sales!
That's why there's an ARMA 3 in the first place! :D Seriously though, the marketing at E3 and the press has suggested that they (as voiced by Jay Crowe) want this to be the most newbie-friendly ARMA to date, as demonstrated partially by the controls "tutorial" that appears upon entering the SDV in the Diving Showcase, and the "fire support call-in procedure" pop-up that appeared during the Supports Showcase... while other games have already done these*, it appears to be done well enough in my opinion, and I hope that it's available as a player setting (so that I can always have it available) and not a mission- or server-enforced aspect.

I think the "old fanatics" have forgotten what it's like to have a first impression of ARMA. :p I mean, when Jay Crowe has to tell an interviewer at E3 "let's not be afraid of that word, streamlined" or "usability not accessibility"...

I do believe that Crowe's marketing emphasis on optimization, polish and stability are a good/desirable approach for development (even if this means delaying the release) for ARMA 3, even over certain new features. After all, as an example of what happens when quantity of features is worked on over quality of function... I submit to you BRINK.

* No wonder Jay Crowe said "wow, ragdoll, welcome to the late Nineties, guys!"

EDIT: I just realized, the ARMA 3 focus groups solicit explicitly called for "a small range of players of differing abilities – non-experienced and expert combat simulator players" alike, which seems to imply that they're specifically concerned with how well it will come off to someone who is NOT already into milsim, who WILL notice any rough edges and will NOT excuse them as "that's the engine, it has been doing that always"!

Very good answer Mondkalb!

Edited by Chortles
Found the bit about the focus groups solicit

I believe that old fanatics got somehow blind and/or just used to the very rough edges of the game that are in most cases result of a 11 year old legacy, and they simply don't notice it anymore. For example where an OFP Veteran would say: "Well, that's the engine, it has been doing that always.", and then carries on. A person unfamiliar to the game would say: "Why on earth can't I select my weapon with the number keys above the letters? This is so annoying!", and then probably ragequits.

As one of the old fanatics, I agree. But, if I want to play OFP, I play OFP, not Arma 3. I hope the A3 will actually be massively changed in almost every regard for the better, while still revolving around the core gameplay concept that made CWA/CWC so great to begin with, and allowed the series to carry a dedicated community to this day.

I know if the improvements have been successful if my friends pick up the game and say "Yes, I could play this." instead of "How do I play this?".

Also, stating that it´s about profit and sales is redundant. The BI founders kind of are living the dream, and to do that you need money. I don´t mind any change for Arma 3, as long as a good game is the result: if you want to play hardcore milsim Arma, stick with A2+ACE2 until ACE3 rolls around. And if you want OFP, play OFP.

The only thing A3 should get from OFP:R is a good, -long- (!!!) campaign, with an enjoyable story, a well told story, and interesting but not overly complicated mission design.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the Alpha comes out to make our judgements about how "accessible" (or whatever word you want to use) the game is.

I for one am going to use the Alpha to prepare missions to be used in the full version. I'm glad the editor will be able to be used (at least that's what I thought I read anyways).

Personally I'm disappointed by 4 main things:

- No 3D Editor.

- No Deferred Shading.

- No AI improvement beyond the scope of OA betapatches.

- No improvement in AI behavior related to grass.

I like the lighting improvements but think they're missing the point, as the problem with lighting is that it doesn't accomplish it's gameplay tasks. Green filter NVGs, non-sun/moon lights going through objects etc.

I do like:

- The animations.

- PhysX (if it's implemented)

- The improvement to the gear system.

Yea the lighting "upgrades" are rather sad. It seems more like "well graphic card power has increased so up those max light entity defines from 128 to 256!" or something (obviously slightly more complicated than that, but still).

I think the new lighting looks fantastic, though I am also disappointed about no deferred shading. From what I have read, though, it sounded like it might get implemented in a future patch/DLC.

Exactly. Us fanboys often forget all the little bugs and annoyances that turn other people off arma and therefore don't mind if they are left unattended in turn for more gameplay feautures like better ai, 3d editor, realistic armour simulations, flight model etc. But BIS already know we are buying the game no matter what so I don't believe that their primary objective is to satisfy all our wishes. They want to get rid of all those problems turning off other players so they can expand their player base and therefore make more money. At least that's the way I see it. And I am in no way trying to say that BIS doesn't care about what we want, or that they are selfish and greedy. In fact they are still giving us tons of neat stuff in a3. Its just that the world doesn't revolve around our small comunity and we are not always the centre of BIS attention.

Yea the lighting "upgrades" are rather sad. It seems more like "well graphic card power has increased so up those max light entity defines from 128 to 256!" or something (obviously slightly more complicated than that, but still).

I wouldn't say the lighting is "sad" but I would agree that it isn't exactly game-changing. Infact when it was announced the lighting would be improved my initial reaction was "why, isn't the lighting in a2 good enough as is". Then I realized that this might mean flashlights and what can cast shadows. But unfortunately that wasn't the case. With deferred-lighting I would consider that addition a selling point. I would want to buy a3 for the lighting. But as is I don't want to buy a3 for its lighting at all but for other obvious features instead.

I think the new lighting looks fantastic, though I am also disappointed about no deferred shading. From what I have read, though, it sounded like it might get implemented in a future patch/DLC.

Not to sound overly pessimistic but I seriously doubt it will be a DLC. I think the "maybe in a DLC" answer is just to keep us "happy". Because they are saying it for pretty much everything (lighting, 3d editor, vehicle damage etc.)

Not to sound overly pessimistic but I seriously doubt it will be a DLC. I think the "maybe in a DLC" answer is just to keep us "happy". Because they are saying it for pretty much everything (lighting, 3d editor, vehicle damage etc.)

I hope you're wrong, but yeah, I unfortunately get that feeling as well.

Re: new lighting, the biggest improvement is that there aren't just "light cones" anymore.

...... A person unfamiliar to the game would say: "Why on earth can't I select my weapon with the number keys above the letters? This is so annoying!", and then probably ragequits.

Coz this old fanatic still uses them to boss about his cannon fodder and will rage quit if he can't.

(sigh) I'll just keep my fingers crossed till release and hope that something makes its way back in.

Coz this old fanatic still uses them to boss about his cannon fodder and will rage quit if he can't.

(sigh) I'll just keep my fingers crossed till release and hope that something makes its way back in.

You've little to worry about -- based on the Supports showcase where the fire call-in procedure was demonstrated using the existing reply menu, I personally believe that the unit command functionality is intact. :)

Incidentally, as a perspective from a former BF3 player, I found that one didn't really NEED the whole row of number keys; "1" and "2" were primary/secondary transition which is covered by ";" already in ARMA 2, "3" was for an underbarrel weapon or launcher if applicable, there'd be two or three more buttons for class-exclusive gadgets, and... THAT WAS IT. I'd prefer for there to be a key or two (or three) instead of having to rely on the action menu to equip something, or maybe take the rifle/secondary transition out of the action menu, but otherwise I don't believe that "selection" and unit command will be mutually exclusive in ARMA 3.

CONFIRMED:

snakes (gamestar video #5 2:28)

turtles https://twitter.com/KarelMoricky/status/230674659803291649

The new gamestar video looks great, it looks better, more refined, colorful (Arma 2 looks bleached IMO). The village however looks totally awesome, almost lifelike, I wonder how did they populate it? This video is probably the best thing from entire E3.