Sign in to follow this  
eosteric

Tanks are really unrealistic

Tanks are just as bad in OA as in Arma 2, what is the problem with making them more realistic?

As soon as there's a little bit of elevation in terrain and even road, the tank slows to a crawl.

I've been in real tanks and trust me, these monsters have little trouble with slight elevation.

This should be an easy fix shouldn't it? A few parameters changes, ini stuff?

I just don't get it though, why it's like this still, when the fix should be so easy. This is supposed to be a simulator, can't you see that this is completely unrealistic?

I'm not talking steep here, as soon as there's a little bit of elevation the tanks just slows to a crawl.

They are also in general way too slow.

Edited by eosteric

Not just tanks, all vehicles are too slow in this game.

Vehs and AFVs have two speeds-'Ahead' and 'Ahead Fast', also there are several ways to control speed (joystick/keys/arrow keys, as commander or driver etc) but whatever method you use you should see the words 'Ahead Fast' appearing on screen and hear a voice saying them out of your speakers.

I've never noticed any speed problems with AA2/OA tanks, but my main gripe is that when you order your tank formation to stop, some pivot when jamming on their brakes, and come to a stop presenting their weaker side or rear armour to the enemy.

I know the controls, that's not the problem. And yeah, I've noticed it's all vehicles.

The devs of this game should get out more, drive a real tank. You'll understand how pathetic your representation of tanks are.

I've never noticed any speed problems with AA2/OA tanks, but my main gripe is that when you order your tank formation to stop, some pivot when jamming on their brakes, and come to a stop presenting their weaker side or rear armour to the enemy.

I too find this issue more pressing, altough jumping out from a powersliding apc to engage the enemy (kinda like Bruce Willis in "RED") is thrilling at best, its not what one would want in A2 and most often results in death.

When pulling out from the road to the fields/desert/woods I notice a slowdown but the speed will eventually pick up pretty well. The tanks and offroad vehicles should have more torsion so that they could maintain a certain speed even on slopes where the average driver would loose faith way before the engine.

The devs of this game should get out more, drive a real tank. You'll understand how pathetic your representation of tanks are.

Have seen this topic come up before and Suma pointed out that they are scaled to real world data quoting the speeds at different grades (for the Abrams I think). Possibly it is your perception of in-game time and distance that is at fault. In any case, best to make your point in a civil fashion with actual figures rather than sweeping generalisations otherwise I don't think anyone will care much what you have to say.

Have seen this topic come up before and Suma pointed out that they are scaled to real world data quoting the speeds at different grades (for the Abrams I think). Possibly it is your perception of in-game time and distance that is at fault. In any case, best to make your point in a civil fashion with actual figures rather than sweeping generalisations otherwise I don't think anyone will care much what you have to say.

tenchars of this

Why not drive to the BIS HQ and punch someone while your at it :j:

The tanks are maybe too slow. I don't know how fast they are in the real world.

BUT

The armor penetration is a bigger problem. Thank god there is the ACE mod. Too bad there isn't any servers running ACE and Warfare.

The tanks are maybe too slow. I don't know how fast they are in the real world.

BUT

The armor penetration is a bigger problem. Thank god there is the ACE mod. Too bad there isn't any servers running ACE and Warfare.

There are some:

15xsjk0_thumb.png

http://updater.dev-heaven.net/mods/nested/a546d346-a754-11de-b50f-0021855d3b6d?_method=get&associations=queryservers

There are some:

Gossamer's I should add. I can't play Bennys anymore. Hmm, or maybe it's worth a try.

By all means, take a look at how BIS coded them and see if you can do it better. ;)

Gossamer's I should add. I can't play Bennys anymore. Hmm, or maybe it's worth a try.
Warfare BE ACE edition by JoeHunk is delivered with ACE, perhaps additionally a Gossamer ACE edition is needed?

Warfare BE ACE edition by JoeHunk is delivered with ACE, perhaps additionally a Gossamer ACE edition is needed?

I don't know about a Gossamer's ACE version. There is already a problem with finding populated servers. Don't think that an ACE version will bring more players.

A real shame really.

Hi, have to use a mod or an addon for fix things that could be fixed or improved in the vanilla version by the devs, suck. The tanks could be made better. Let's C ya

From a pure realism PoV, vehicles in this game climb mountains far too easily (as well as soldiers). Even if the scale is far down from real life, we shouldn't be able to climb on top of almost every hill & mountains without the help of any road. There are severe limitations in real life on where vehicles (and, again, humans, too) can go.

This slowdown and such are the in-game representation of these RL limitations

Most military vehicles can climb a 60% grade. That is a measly 31 degrees. So yes, what we have now is incredibly unrealistic.

As for speed, sure you can go fast offroad in a tank, but not for very long, as you'll do all kinds of damage to the running gear (not to mention the crew can only take so much).

Drive like they do in the promotional videos and you'll spend more time track bashing than you will looking like a badass...

Appart from tanks, I'd prefer if you could drive faster cross country with all vehicles and have more chance of losing control to a skid and rolling or damaging the suspension. That way there would be more skill/fun involved in driving as fast as possible without fatalities.

I encourage people to do this if they want it.

I just won't be able to provide the version myself, but I'll certainly provide file hosting (official server + official updater) and assistance with editing concerns.

By all means, take a look at how BIS coded them and see if you can do it better. ;)

Look, it's a simple thing. The tanks are too slow, compare to videos of real tanks and you'll see.

Oh, and it's not just speed, sometimes your tank will get stuck on a bush, or a log. Haha, yeah, that's realistic.

And not being able to climb up, not very steep, angles, and have the tank just stop, midway, then slide down.

I could show videos, but what's the point, apparently I'm the only one who sees the game's fault.

It's weird how so many people can't admit that what they like or own have problems. I like the game so much, that I wish it's problems where fixed. That's the only reason.

It's weird how so many people can't admit that what they like or own have problems.

Accusations of people jumping to the defense of the game like "mindless fanboys", people jumping to their own defense with "you're delusional and can't accept the game you like isn't perfect." :)

I don't deny the game has problems, I think it's better for people to go about pointing them out without telling the devs to "walk outside" in that "you're so unaware of reality that you need to go outside and not sit in front of your computer all the time" sense, and that their work is "pathetic." ;)