Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Steam - opinions and experiences survey

Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?

• Yes, make Arma 2 and/or future BI games Steam only and Steamworks enabled
    • I am not sure, it depends... (please elaborate in your post)
    • No, please not Steam because... (please elaborate in your post)

Dear community,

Steam is becoming very significant part of today's PC Gaming as well as it was crucial part of the success of Arma 2 / Operation Arrowhead.

There are already many games that are simply Steam only but Bohemia Interactive so far tried to stay service agnostic as we did not like concept of enforcing our users in any direction. What is your opinion, should we make our games Steam only or provide Steam specific enhancements or not?

Edited by Maruk

No.

I like having my game. With Steam you also need to run their bloatware every time you want to play.

And then you also have problems with mods.

I very much like having the installation of my game on my HDD and a game that I can fire up any time I want, especially with BIS removing DRM after a few months. With Steam I'd be stuck with DRM forever.

Edited by metalcraze

I personally would only say yes if the games on Steam worked identical to those you can purchase hard copies of or off of Sprocket. At the moment there seem to be too many workarounds for my liking, especially in terms of running Combined Operations via Steam, but if those were fixed I would not have an issue with it.

I try to stay away from Steam as much as i can, especially for games that haven't been developed by Valve.

With A2, there are far too many issues, so i have prefered Sprocket for ArmA1, QG, OA, BAF and PMC, while having A2 as retail DVD.

Present Issues:

1. large file to download on official patch release (GIG worth instead of MB worth)

2. combining products (a2+oa for CO) -> workaround

3. running some mods via steam tools (? not quite sure about it though)

I try to stay away from Steam as much as i can, especially for games that haven't been developed by Valve.

With A2, there are far too many issues, so i have prefered Sprocket for ArmA1, QG, OA, BAF and PMC, while having A2 as retail DVD.

Present Issues:

1. large file to download on official patch release (GIG worth instead of MB worth)

2. combining products (a2+oa for CO) -> workaround

3. running some mods via steam tools (? not quite sure about it though)

I highly agree with puFu and Zipper here and would favor a Non-Steam solution.

well just voice Your options here ... we want hear

Edited by Dwarden

voted no to steam only.

I would like both Steam and hard copies to continue to be an option, because I realize the large market that Arma2 gains with Steam, but I have bought all BIS games in CD or DVD form as I prefer the hard copy/box/paper manual.

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Voted No.

I currently have the steam version of arma 2/OA and its a pain in the you know what. To run mods and combined ops at the same time requires a great deal of patience. I would of bought the boxed version if there were any left. I would simply suggest send more boxed copies to Canada.

[x] No, please not Steam because...

I like Steam, I really like it a lot - but what I like even better is choices. As *Zipper5* and PuFu said there are some issues with the Steam versions, issues that just are not there for all other versions, so at the moment I do not feel that the Steam version is preferable.

While I do like Steam a lot it is not suitable for all situations and having to download 4-8gb of patches when there is a A2 / OA update made me eventually buy the Sprocket versions of everything when it was on sale. If the platform would be updated / the way Arma is built to better suit the way Arma or the platform (steam) is done it would be no bother to me. So I would say that in the current status of both don't make it steam only, but if it were designed better to suit it, I wouldn't mind at all.

I voted "not sure"

I purchased A1 via sprocket (and via CD before that, but lost the CD, so much for that...) and A2 via sprocket as well, and A2OA via steam, symlinking the directories to get the combined arms setup (even a caveman could do it...)

Yes these kind of workarounds are boring

Yes steam is easy to use and is not much of a bloatware (although I don't like it when games insist on launching steam to run)

Yes steam will happily bankrupt you because you buy too many games "on sale" you dont play

No it is not entirely clear why any game by any developer would ever want to be "steam only" that sounds like you are cutting out a piece of your market, and for what?

No I think all available options should be maintained to allow more users to play the game

Voted no.

I don't really like downloading games, i prefer a CD.

I also don't like steam and is too much hassle.

I have used sprocket to get BAF and PMC and was very good.

If "ArmA 3" or another expansion came out i would get it from sproket. never steam.

I voted not sure. I'd like both to remain an option. I have the Steam version of Combined Operations and it seems to be working fine, aside from an annoying VON issue I'm having. (I'm re-downloading/installing as we speak.)

I voted no because I dont like that people are forced to use something.

But I like steam and have never had any problem with it, using mods is no different than with the DVD version, just right click on the game and set the launch option the same way -mod=@... I dont understand why some people say its so hard to use.

If you dont have a fast internet connection it might be annoying because it take some time to download the game, but if you dont, thats not a problem, I install games faster by downloading them then by using a DVD, after you have installed the game you can make a backup of the game and burn it on a disc so you dont have to download it again.

The only problem I face is the file size. I'm here in India and downloading 10 GB every time after a patch release is very frustrating. Takes up 3 - 4 days. I don't know about other people complaining about mod installation but it's a breeze in steam. Just right click on the game and enter the required addon syntax in LAUNCH OPTIONS. I'm sure BI won't release boxed version here in India so if I want to own one I have to import it from Singapore which costs triple the amount (that too in dollars). I'm happy with Steam.

Voted - YES

Edited by Swaroopa

I voted no.

I don't mind downloading games from Sprocket, but Steam just causes unnecessary hassle. With a normal version, complex mods such as ACE are easier to install/manage and structure is clear. Also, you don't have an overhead running. If I'm brutally honest, Steam encourages user ignorance too because so much spoon-fed to the user.

Furthermore, the majority of people in Havoc Company that have had issues have mainly been using Steam. Surprising? I think not. The correlation is simply too large to ignore.

I understand the benefits of Steam, and Steamworks, but as far as I see it, it is a step back. Something like Desura would be welcome though for mod distribution.

If BI games were distributed Steam only, I would be very frustrated. Bloatware indeed.

Edited by Hellfire257

Replying to: Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only?

Absolutely not. That would be a deal-breaker here. There is no reason to force the customer into an unnecessary environment (Read: Bloatware), and I see no reason on earth to have to log online if I want to hop into the editor.

I hope that this really isn't under serious consideration, or reflecting of BIS' financial standing.

Edited by NoQuarter

Steam is great, but suited for arma it is not....

I use almost 95% of my games through steam, but because of the mods/customisations with arma, it works much better stand-alone. Having said that, if you guys are asking the question it is obviously something you have considered (reduces dev time maybe?). At the end of the day if you can make it work like it does stand-alone but with steam (concerning mods), I don't see why the transition couldn't work.

No.

• A Steam account is a static immaterial investment that gains value but said value cannot be exchanged back to money except when sold whole, although Valve frowns upon that, too.
  • As a rule Steam prices for new games is way, way too high especially considering the above point.
  • Steam doesn't evoke trust as a platform for heavily moddable games.
  • Some people want to keep physical copies of their favorite games out of sentiment or independence from needlessly authoritarian connection, software and consumer unfriendly term requirements.
  • Regarding consumer unfriendliness, Steam has a no refunds policy no matter how cheated you feel.

If you absolutely, positively need to publish your games exclusively online, try GOG.com. They have the best image regarding DRM policy, game independence from external factors and general customer satisfaction.

[*]Steam doesn't evoke trust as a platform for heavily moddable games.

[*]Some people want to keep physical copies of their favorite games out of sentiment or independence from needlessly authoritarian connection, software and consumer unfriendly term requirements.

These are the main points that make me not want to use steam. I sometimes use it for cheap older games, but i do not trust it with my main love.

Voted No for all the reasons already stated. In addition - with Steam you're dependent on their authentification servers working properly to be able to play. Needless to say, the servers had their fair share of downtime during the months I enjoyed TF2 (before they came up with the class update DLC rubbish). I wouldn't like having to experience that again.

I find steam to be one of the most significant developments in online gaming. I won't go so far as to say that I exclusively purchase games bought on steam, but I will say that I spend a vast majority playing steam games than I do any other!

To address some of the concerns that people have with the current steam implementation of arma2; large patch file size, mod management, and combining games. Please recognize that a more robust and mature steam implementation would make ALL THESE PROBLEMS GO AWAY. A simple solution would be to add a game launcher as seen in Oblivion, Dragon Age, or Mount&Blade where such things are configured.

In exchange one gets access to steams fantastic "right click join friend" feature, community groups/parties, game related statistics, and finally the immensely powerful PR and accessibility of the Steam monolith

Even so this is a hard vote to answer. As much as I like Steam, the current dual implementation does have some merit. I don't care about achievements and being an old-time gamer, I can understand how traditional server browsers function. In an ideal world I would like to see Bohemia continue as present with a dual release platform, with an added more robust launcher/mod system and some more steam features enabled.

Abandoning Steam based on the very vocal opinion of a few sceptics is not the way forward.

-k

Abandoning Steam based on the very vocal opinion of a few sceptics is not the way forward.
Respectfully, that was not the question asked...Should BI make Arma 2 and/or future games Steam only? was, and why some are justifiably sceptical. Edited by NoQuarter

Steam = No buy.

For everything everyone already said (and for half dozen hours lost on Steam troubles for the measly 3 games i have there)) and for the fact that it forces you to have all your Steam stuff in a single physical location (or ridiculous use of symlinks).

but Bohemia Interactive so far tried to stay service agnostic as we did not like concept of enforcing our users in any direction.

I think you already answerd your question right there. ;)

I never used Steam so I can't really say anything about it. But I do know that having a choice is always something good.

Also I don't like the idea of paying for a download, no matter if it's music, a movie, a game or whatever. If I spend my money, I want to have something in my hands, especially when it comes to something epic like a BI Game. I still have that cardboard fieldmanual that came with OFP on my desk. :D