Sign in to follow this  
topas

September 1939 Mod

As far as I know the uniform was a standard issue tunic, but with some fancy collar tabs, right? Post some references in colour, please, and we'll see.

Any vehicle or object modelers out there to join our ranks maybe, permanently or just part-time?

Due to personal and occupational duties, obligations and private issues (in my case birth of my 2nd daughter) September1939mod has lost it's initial pace. Work is being continued on several fronts (with the main focus on our terrain, 2nd most impoortant; the infantry) but is severly slowed down due to a simple matter - lack of time... As all of us here would want to see this moving forward towards completion we need some helping hand or two - skilled 3d artists who would take on the challenge of modeling some important, yet still missing assets that'll let balance the gameplay experience. It's no secret that we've been focusing on the Polish equipment and are experienceing severe lack of German and Soviet machinery - mostly simple transportation means like staff cars, trucks, cargo and support vehicles, light recon. Thanks to our generous contributors and cooperators (FWW2 / ACSR38-45 / Pioneer of f.ru) we've been able to more or less complete the armored lines of the invaders, but, that's all we have and if it wasn't for them, we would not have much besides.

So, anyone out there having the necessary skill, enough time and interest, plus a mature and disciplined attitude is welcomed to apply.

As we'll be needing to fill some large gaps that has been there for a long time already, the ideal candidates skills should present a nice mix of quality and speed.

Main needs are German trucks and cars, for example;

- Kfz 70 Krupp Protze

- Kfz 61 Einheitsdiesel

- Kfz 13 Maschinengewehrkraftwagen

and certainly more...

Also, with our main theatre of operations shaping up nicely we'd need someone to step in and take care of objects and structures to fill the space there. Traditional cottages with tatched roofs, wooden architecture, generally this kind of stuff

Thanks for your attention

T.

Edited by topas
link corrected

I'm just wondering here. Can you make a Winter War mod when this mod is complete?

Let the team first finish this mod! Then we will see further. If after me would go the Western campaign 1940 (Norway,France and low countries) turn would actually as so-called. But this is incidental. Let's wait it just once. Or don't you think?

thanks Yamatoforever, I was about to write that if we were already thinking of jumping to a different theater I would not be posting what I did in my last message here... Once, when or if this mod gets finished we surely won't be switching to the Finnish theme, there is already a highly competent team out there that will take care of the Winter War (I'm sure they'll do it for A2 too). Besides, with all due respect, it's not that much of interest to us (from a modding point of view). Personally I'd rather do the 1940 campaign as it'd feature much of 'exotic' (meaning: not often shown in games and mods) content - same as it's the case with Sept'39.

Anyway; if there is anything to be done after this mod - then it'll be what I already stated a few times; a post 1939 resistance mod, taking place 1942/43, which would allow us to go a bit further and show some more stuff we're not allowed to now, due to the era-limitations.

Plus, as you're about to witness very soon, we have a very good reason to stay in Poland ;)

Regards

T.

Edited by topas

Hello everyone. So it looks like after being only a parasite inside a healthy body of the OFP/Arma community for quite a long time I finally decided to make something useful and help the folks from the September '39 mod to bring a little part of pre-war Poland to Arma2 engine. The area we are striving to recreate is Wola Gułowska and it's surroundings (10x10km). It's the place of the last battle of regular Polish units during the Invasion of Poland in September '39 (though the battle actually took place in October). SGO "Polesie" (Independent Operational Group) - the Polish unit that fought there - comprised of the remains of various formations of the Polish Army: infantry, cavalry, police units, KOP, Riverine Flotilla of the Polish Navy, artillery, some armor and reportedly a few civil planes adapted for recon missions. The unit fought both Soviet as well as German armies and finally surrendered because of lack of ammunition on 05 October 1939. Wola Gułowska witnessed heavy fights in the last part of the battle especially near the graveyard and the church.

A painting picturing the fight around the graveyard in Wola Gułowska:

28.jpg

What more can be said about Wola Gułowska? Let's listen to the memories of a former soldier who fought there:

"How many years can a man wander across Poland and yet never learn about the existence of a village named Wola Gułowska. Now, as we are standing at the edge of the woods and we have the village right in front of us, just within the reach of a hand it seems to be an oasis of idyllic atmosphere and undisturbed peace. A long row of small, tidy houses, a white baroque church, colourful orchards. Let all the world fight, as long as the Polish country remains quiet... And yet, if anything interesting at all can be said about Wola Gułowska, it is that it lies on a trail of ever-lasting Polish wars, among old battlefields of Parczew, Kock, Adamów... What more? The adjacent Wola Okrzejska at least is a place of birth of Henryk Sienkiewicz (the famous Polish writer). In Wola Gułowska noone famous was born. People here only die. Not once did they come here to die from far away. In the woods near Wola Gułowska graves of insurgents from 1863 are commemorated until the present day. Some places here have disturbing, ominous names as Krzywda (Harm), Ofiara (Sacrifice), Mogiły (Graves)... The woods surround the village from all sides - quiet, safe, huge..."

Memories of M. Brandys - leader of a HMG platoon in 79th infantry regiment.

But I'm sure everyone would like to see some moving pictures now... The first part of the following movie shows some information about the process of the creation of the map and the second moves to actual gameplay recording.

YGN5NhB_cyE

Anyway; if there is anything to be done after this mod - then it'll be what I already stated a few times; a post 1939 resistance mod, taking place 1942/43, which would allow us to go a bit further and show some more stuff we're not allowed to now, due to the era-limitations.

I'd go for one year later - 1944's Operation Tempest...

EDIT: note that the movie above is recorded with Sumer pack mod (by "Bushlurker and Beton under supervision of Homer Johnston") enabled. It's so good that I've just forgotten that I load it every time I start Arma. I hope the authors don't have any objections.

Edited by lecholas

The map will be a great addition. I love the bridge shown near the end, can't wait to see that textured.

thanks Yamatoforever, I was about to write that if we were already thinking of jumping to a different theater I would not be posting what I did in my last message here... Once, when or if this mod gets finished we surely won't be switching to the Finnish theme, there is already a highly competent team out there that will take care of the Winter War (I'm sure they'll do it for A2 too). Besides, with all due respect, it's not that much of interest to us (from a modding point of view). Personally I'd rather do the 1940 campaign as it'd feature much of 'exotic' (meaning: not often shown in games and mods) content - same as it's the case with Sept'39.

Plus, as you're about to witness very soon, we have a very good reason to stay in Poland ;)

Regards

T.

Well thankyou.If you do Norway.I think it would be cool if you did like a resistance/sas expanion

Wola Gułowska by Lecholas - autumn setting:

wg0b.th.jpg

wg1r.th.jpg

wg2e.th.jpg

wg3a.th.jpg

wg4w.th.jpg

wg5r.th.jpg

wg6w.th.jpg

wg7u.th.jpg

wg8s.th.jpg

wg9u.th.jpg

Edited by topas

wg10m.th.jpg

wg11.th.jpg

wg12.th.jpg

wg13.th.jpg

wg14c.th.jpg

wg15.th.jpg

wg16.th.jpg

Fields, more and even more fields, a dense network of country roads, one main North-South clinker road, a dozen or more cobblestone roads, mixed forests, water canals, swamps and marsh - everything placed true to the 1937 map ;)

Edited by topas

Outstanding work on the map Lecholas, really does feel like home looking at the numerous screens. Top work!

Realy good map! On this place, takes last part of battle under the kock, right?

Great! I live there (8km from Wola Gułowska) - it will be nice to see my (almost) home side.

If you need photos (especially the church or old hauses - there are plenty of them IIR) from there - drop me PM - I will be there in May

Great! I live there (8km from Wola Gułowska) - it will be nice to see my (almost) home side.

If you need photos (especially the church or old hauses - there are plenty of them IIR) from there - drop me PM - I will be there in May

Well, as a matter of fact I've already visited Wola Gułowska a few weeks ago and collected some

, but of course I'd be more than happy to get more of it. I intend to go visit the area a few more times but that's when I have more spare time. I'd be especially interested in photos of old houses and areas that supposedly did not change a lot from 1939. When I visited the area I used the georeferenced WIG 1937 map as a custom map on my portable garmin GPS to search for such places (well, I would find the places even without the GPS but it was fun to play with it ;) ). Eg. I tried to find some chapels that should stand near some roads (ie. that are marked on a 1937 map) but it occurred that only in one place I found some concrete remains of one of them. And of course collecting that kind of reference, although its fun, takes some time so any help would be appreciated. Topas as always makes wonders if it comes to finding reference photos (from real estate sales announcements from Charlejów for example) but good pictures of one object taken from many angles are hard to find.

Good work!

:)

Indeed :cool:

When we can play it ?

When its done, addons don't make themselves you know.

When its done, addons don't make themselves you know.

Wow, you are really smart.

Wow, you are really smart.

Yes, and he's right too.

wszystko_zielone, I'm probably stating the obvious here, but since you're new; we are not a professional game developing studio with huge resources and manpower at our disposal. As it's the case with everyone else here - it's just our hobby and we're using what we have in the time we have (mostly we do not have much of it). Please do take into consideration that it's a HUGE content range that we're aiming to cover here (Infantry, Weapons, Vehicles for 3 factions,plus civilians and now the theatre of opertaions with everything needed to portray the specific period). If you go back a bit you'll find a post explaining the situation a bit more and see that we are currently seeking help in some major areas to uphold and stay true to the initial mod-idea. In this situation we're quite happy to be able to push this or that aspect of the mod - even if it's relatively a small one - forward once a few weeks a bit and certainly do not put any pressure on anyone* in the team when it comes to scheduling or setting any sort of deadlines.

Thanks in advance for understanding.

*at least I hope noone feels this way

Edited by topas

In this case, I can only thank you for your interest and write; Sorry, we're doing what we can.

As written above and earlier - any help in moving it forward is appreaciated. Feel free to apply to help or point out anyone who's experienced and willing. Modelling, texturing, configs, sounds - there's a lot to do, and it would certainly shorten the waiting for us all (yes, we're waiting for this mod too). If not, please, just be patient and follow the news. Sorry.

Thank you

Edited by topas

Is not harmful to dream, wszystko_zielone;)It's very good, that you working not only units pack, creating maps and menu, because mod have max useful, when it's had all elements, like stand-alone Arma about other time period or region, and its guarantee a lot of hours of gameplay. That's why better to wait little more time.:).

The only one problem can appear - the A3 realise, and caught appear feel, that mod is not useful. But it's not a big problem. Besides, OFP still alive and flying in my home LAN for battles with brother and neighbours:). Arma 2 live only on my comp spatially like reason for envy from this console funs :D I hope, that in one day this mod make they finally crazy from envy with cocktail of other A2 mods. And make they to drop consoles and upgrade A2 to main game for LAN :cool:.