Sign in to follow this  
R3F-Clint

[R3F] Realism

R3F_Realism scripts aims to reinforce ArmA 2 's and operation arrowhead's realism in managing tiredness and weight.

Players won't be able anymore to carry an M240 machine gun and 5 ammo loaders and be efficient in a fight after a 2000m sprint !

Rest will be necessary before engaging. Or use of vehicles find at least their first function : transport.

r3f_weight_en.jpg

Features :

R3F_Realism is made of two parts :

1.R3F_Weight

Management of gear's weight carried by each player.

All weapons, ammo, items (compass, binocular...) are listed and weighted.

2. R3F_Tired

Management of player's tiredness. Tiredness is computed following player's movements. The more he walks the more he'll get tired, he also will get tired faster following the terrain declivity. Associated with R3F Weight, tiredness management is much more realistic because it is directly related to carried weight.

Combining them really increases gameplay realism.

Characteristics :

• Weight is displayed in ArmA 2 gear's window
  • Compatible with addons which add guns or ammunitions
  • Clearly-explained configuration files (french and english) which permit to customize the system
  • Multilingual via a "stringtable" (default : english & french)
  • Compatible : MP, JIP, SP
  • Compatible to Combined Operations (A2 1.8+ OA 1.55)

Installation :

The installation is explained step by step in the INSTALL.pdf file (in english and french). It can be easily installed on a mission and does not require a lot of knowledge in ArmA 2 mission editing.

A demo mission is available in the file

Version 1.04 : 2010 november 13th

Download the [R3F] Realism

Excellent alternative to ace. I will definitely be using this :)

so here's a question, can i jog up the side of a hill with reasonable weight (~ 35 - 40 lbs) of gear without falling on the ground, breathing heavily, and almost blacking out?

if the above statement is true, then this is definitely my alternative to ace!

Just had a quick flick through the readme - perhaps for a next version, if you plan on one, you could have a choice between metric and imperial weights?

I understand lbs and kgs, and it'd be nice to have a choice between the two.

@R3F-Clint

Interesting concept. However, I've read the entire description twice now and unless I missed it (which is possible) there's one important detail missing:

How does being "tired" manifest itself to the player in-game? As in, is it just a audio/visual thing (panting, blackout), or do you actually slow down (i.e. blocking sprint or similar)?

@R3F-Clint

Interesting concept. However, I've read the entire description twice now and unless I missed it (which is possible) there's one important detail missing:

How does being "tired" manifest itself to the player in-game? As in, is it just a audio/visual thing (panting, blackout), or do you actually slow down (i.e. blocking sprint or similar)?

The effects are visual, gradually darkening the screen, ending in black to simulate failure. At this point, taking part into a fight is impossible.

Before the failure, the player has seen pulse increase, shaking movements being displayed on the screen.

After resting, the player gets back into better condition allowing him to start again. Tiredness is more or less accumulated depending on length of walks and climbing.

Crawling or climbing increase much more tiredness.

In a vehicle, the player does not get tired, and even rests from tiredness.

Associated with R3F Weight, tiredness management is much more realistic, being directly related to carried weight.

Just notice that high weight increases dramatically tiredness.

From the readme.

Does walking on pavement make you less tired than walking in a field? If so, good.

Does walking downhill make you less tired than walking up the same hill? If so, good.

Does this affect A.I., too, so that you might be able to catch an OPFOR squad resting and take advantage of their weakness?

(Note that surging adrenaline should temporarily negate the effects of tiredness, but cause a greater "crash", later.)

Edited by Uziyahu--IDF

Thanks for that info Cam. :)

The effects are visual, gradually darkening the screen, ending in black to simulate failure. At this point, taking part into a fight is impossible.

Hmmm... When's the last time any of you in RL ran so hard or carried so much weight you actually blacked out? Can't say that ever happened to me. Anyway just curious. :p

If anyone is interested in making fatigue do something beyond visual (i.e. slow down the player), I think I've figured out how to block sprinting on a temporary basis.

edit:

Btw R3F-Clint: I think maybe that would tie in quite nicely with your system.

Edited by MadRussian

@CameronMcDonald

normallly you can set on Lb or Kg (see read_me)

@MadRussian

slowing down the running speed in ArmA 2 is not possible.

@ Uziyahu--IDF

Does walking downhill make you less tired than walking up the same hill? If so, good

Yes

try with an heavy weight (40 kg)

effect are of 2 types :

- visual : screem getting slowly to black before complete unconscienness

- phisical : shaking hard when tired making fight difficult

Edited by killjoer3f

@UZYyahu

Does this affect A.I., too, so that you might be able to catch an OPFOR squad resting and take advantage of their weakness?

this is a question we had to think about several time :

so we think that human superiority on IA is enough to accept this lillte handicap.

The other solution is to set a lower amount of ammo for IA when you edit a mission.

But as far as we have tested the balance is still OK.

Once again the level of tiredness is setable.

@CameronMcDonald

normally you can set on Lb or Kg (see read_me)

in fact I anwsered a bit fast : the switch between Kg and pound is automacally set if you launc your game in english : so we will set a choise in the next update.

It's true that AI are not as efficient when battling human minds that think outside of a program but they still do calculate well enough and as fast a processor to pose a problem. They also see through vegetation and know your position even when you move behind a building. Adding this effect to them as well would help to balance that offset.

At the least, consider implementing the effect for AI in SP mode to aid players while having to deal with larger numbers of OPFOR and micro management of their own AI squad mates. I think that would be beneficial to all those who enjoy SP over MP.

Just a thought is all.

Great effort guys. I prefer optional addons like this to pick and choose the game enhancements over full mod conversions like ACE.

Looking great.

If you R3F dudes take requests, I vote your next realism project would be suppression. It is a corner stone of modern fire-and-movement warfare and we have nothing like it in arma (it's in VBS but not arma).

slowing down the running speed in ArmA 2 is not possible.

Ever looked inside CfgMovesBasic and CfgMovesMaleSdr?

Slowing down running speeds is entirely possible, even on a temporary basis. I can think of a couple of different ways to do it. If anyone is interested, I'll either explain exactly how or maybe even throw together a quick tech demo on how to accomplish it.

Ever looked inside CfgMovesBasic and CfgMovesMaleSdr?

Slowing down running speeds is entirely possible, even on a temporary basis. I can think of a couple of different ways to do it. If anyone is interested, I'll either explain exactly how or maybe even throw together a quick tech demo on how to accomplish it.

I've seen several people wish for this sort of functionality, if you can do it a tech demo would be a good idea I think.

I've seen several people wish for this sort of functionality, if you can do it a tech demo would be a good idea I think.

OK DMarkwick, I accept your challenge!

Two ways to make it work:

1. Block sprinting upon tired (easier)

2. Graded loss of speed the more tired you get (harder)

I'll probably just try and prove it can work with one set of anims first. Then hopefully someone can step in and do the grunt work. :)

Ok how hard could that be...Now im not a scripter or addon builder.

But wouldnt it be just to take the config of walking uphill and put it

on a person with certain amount of wieght?

And instead of having him BLACK out if fatigue is "true" then

set speed as "uphill" config....Or am i totaly wrong here....

OK DMarkwick, I accept your challenge!

Two ways to make it work:

1. Block sprinting upon tired (easier)

2. Graded loss of speed the more tired you get (harder)

I'll probably just try and prove it can work with one set of anims first. Then hopefully someone can step in and do the grunt work. :)

LOL :)

Well, I've had a low-level wish to see Hidden & Dangerous 2's movement speed method, that of using the mouse wheel to finely tune your speed, with each lower speed also giving the unit more stealth. I know the mouse wheel is used for the action menu, but still. Most people think the action menu system needs revamping in any case, and any positive case for BIS to do this must be a good thing :)

@DMarkwick, we have join a demo mission with some weapons to try this addon.

Run it and take a M240 with full magazine and run fast on the runway.

You will see the effect of tired.

@MadRussian, you can force lb ou kg in the R3F_Weight_Stringtable.csv.

Change this STR_R3F_WEIGHT_English, "lb", "Kg" by

STR_R3F_WEIGHT_English, "kg", "Kg" to force in Kg and

STR_R3F_WEIGHT_English, "lb", "lb" to force in lb

Pending a future release.

@Andersson[sWEC], yes it's otherwize method to do this but it's not our.

Well, I've had a low-level wish to see Hidden & Dangerous 2's movement speed method, that of using the mouse wheel to finely tune your speed, with each lower speed also giving the unit more stealth.

Yeah I recall H&D2's movement speed system, which was very nice! IIRC, there were like 4 speeds, the fastest being the sprint. When you got tired, you would simply lose access to the sprint. It's that part I'm trying for first... losing the sprint ability when tired. In theory you could probably implement the H&D system close to 99%... main issue though is that H&D2 had really good animations for sneak which ArmA2 pretty much lacks.

;1788713']

But wouldnt it be just to take the config of walking uphill and put it

on a person with certain amount of wieght?

And instead of having him BLACK out if fatigue is "true" then

set speed as "uphill" config....Or am i totaly wrong here....

That's the basic idea... forcing a special animation (in CfgMovesMaleSdr) and thus a special "action state" (in CfgMovesBasic) to block sprinting when tired.

btw- If you wish R3F-Clint, I can start another thread to discuss these aspects. In the mean time sorry for kind of hijacking, unless you are interested in this idea of course. For what it's worth, I definately think pairing the weight detection work you've done with slowing of movement due to being tired (optional) and visual (also optional) is the way to go.

Anyhow I've run some experiments and getting closer...

Edited by MadRussian

Good Job...

Now we just need the "Blackout" ppl to considder this as

a possible soloution.

I mean, like someone else said:

WHO in their right mind, carry so much, run at high speed

until they pass out.

1: U should only be able to carry a certain amount of "WEIGHT".

2: IF maxWeight is "true" maxSpeed is set to a minimum.

Last night i carried some 140Kg in "a nother mod", did so

for some 50-150m..IRL i cant even get that weight on my

body before i break...Im not that big of a human....

Edit:

There could even be a CLASS list for the maxWeight.

class1: 20-30Kg

class2: 30-50Kg

class3: 50-75Kg

class4: 75-100Kg MAX WEIGHT

Edited by Andersson[SWEC]