Sign in to follow this  
know_thyself

OFP for Steam?

I was wondering if there is any chance that the original Operation Flashpoint would ever come to Steam? I lost my copy years ago and would love to see it available via digital distribution as would many other fans of the original game. I know both arma games are available through steam so perhaps it may become a reality. Is there any way of contacting Bohemia Interactive to inquire into such matters? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You'd have to speak with Codemasters, as they own the rights to OFP. But i nack up your wish, as I've lost my CD too, i just have a Copy without Resistance, which was in a pc magazine. So using OFP without Mods (most need 1.96) is like using a Paint-box without blue and red.....

It would be great if OFP would be available on steam! I know a lot of people who would buy it immediately.

I sent Codemasters an email asking about this. I'll post here if I get a reply. I wouldn't be surprised if I never do, though. :rolleyes:

No, please no CM stuff here. Thanks. :)

i hate to bump an old topic, buy most topics in this section are old anyways ;)

I have an observation about OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99, and running these apps in Steam recognizing them as non-steam games.

firstly, it works great! I can publish Steam screenshots to my profile while playing the games.

HOWEVER...

if I use Kegetys DXDLL, the game crashes both OFPr 1.96 and ArmaCWC1.99 when I use the Steam provided, non-steam game shortcut.

to recap:

OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99 - runs good

OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99 using Steam provided shortcut - runs good

OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99 AND KEGETYS DXDLL and normal shortcuts - runs good

OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99 AND KEGETYS DXDLL using Steam provided shortcut - program crash.

fyi

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

I believe that's because DXDLL injects via a DirectX file into OFP/CWA and Steam overlay does the same.

I had similar troubles with the ENBseries for GTA 4:EFLC. The culprit was Xfire tho, closing it solved the instant gamecrash.

Now that Operation Flashpoint has been rereleased as Arma: Cold War Assault, is there any possibility of it coming to Steam. I lost my copies years ago and would love to be able to purchase a digital copy.

According to the announcement, "All existing users of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and the Game of the Year Edition are entitled to download and install Arma: Cold War Assault at no charge. The game will also be released through various online stores in the near future." <source:http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/home/news/projects/235-arma-cold-war-assault-announced>

So does anyone around here know?

Arma: Cold War Assault is now on steam........for $59.99 ? (o_O) Wouldn't that be a bit too much for a game 10 years old?

It's $60 for:

Operation Flashpoint

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance

Armed Assault

Armed Assault: Queen's Gambit

ArmA II (20% off ArmA X if you own this on Steam)

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead (another 20% off if you own this on Steam)

ArmA II: British Armed Forces

ArmA II: Private Military Company

If this is the real version of ArmA Gold with the cutscenes (and not the terrible Atari flash animations) I might pick this up at the 40% discount.

I have all ARMAII features including DLC's, so it's complate wasting money if someone like me having A2 CO+DLC's buying ARMA X edition, except a value for ARMA:CWA and Armed Assault.

despite it provides us with 40% discount with A2 and OA, it's buying DLC's you aleady have. so its going to pay 35.99$ to get OFP and Armed Assault. lol.

So I dying to look for ARMA:CWA but there is NO individual buying option for single Cold War Assault games! lol. I liked this game's demo and searched for 10 years for OFP. but it sterilized and there was no actual selling packages in South Korea.

Edited by m1a1carbine

If you own ArmA II and ArmA II Operation Arrowhead already, I believe it is automatically 40% off the original price.

I got ArmA X for $35.99 on Steam (I already own ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead) So I got ArmA 1 + Queen's Gambit and Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis + Resistance(Now known as ArmA: Cold War Assault and ArmA: Resistance).

If you already bought the games on Steam or Sprocket, there is a discount. You also get all bonus content from both Sprocket and Steam. (Maps, Logos, Avatars, Box Art, Artwork, Posters, All Music from all games)

Buy a copy of GOTY and download and install CWA free afterwards.

STGN

Buy a copy of GOTY and download and install CWA free afterwards.

STGN

If you read his reply, that is not an option.

I liked this game's demo and searched for 10 years for OFP. but it sterilized and there was no actual selling packages in South Korea.

If you read his reply, that is not an option.

I did read his reply,:mad:, but I read it as if he had been looking for it in a store. Kinda surprised that nobody is willing to ship a GOTY edition to South Korea.

STGN

I did read his reply,:mad:, but I read it as if he had been looking for it in a store. Kinda surprised that nobody is willing to ship a GOTY edition to South Korea.

STGN

ah.... I didn't even think about eBay.:butbut: thanks for advice. I just wanted BIS make able to purchase ARMA:Cold War Assault on Steam. shipping is a long long time waiting.

Edited by m1a1carbine

I liked this game's demo and searched for 10 years for OFP. but it sterilized and there was no actual selling packages in South Korea.
ah.... I didn't even think about eBay.:butbut: thanks for advice. I just wanted BIS make able to purchase ARMA:Cold War Assault on Steam. shipping is a long long time waiting.

I am sorry I misunderstood what you where saying, did not mean to offend you.

STGN

since no one will give you the right answer goto the steam/steamapps/common/whateverthenameofOFPorARMAis/ and create a new shortcut from the exe in there. the Steam shortcuts use a wierd numbering system that looks like this:

steam://rungameid/12830

The one you need to use will look something like this:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\operation flashpoint dragon rising
Edited by njmatrix

:confused:

Sorry not a fanboi so I play various games on steam including ones you may not like. But it also was just an example of what the shortcut problem he was having is/was.

Sorry not a fanboi so I play various games on steam including ones you may not like. But it also was just an example of what the shortcut problem he was having is/was.

It was just kind of weird to take that example here. Nvm.

Edited by ProfTournesol
Nevermind

-Ziggy-;1963779']

HOWEVER...

if I use Kegetys DXDLL' date=' the game crashes both OFPr 1.96 and ArmaCWC1.99 [i']when I use the Steam provided, non-steam game shortcut[/i].

to recap:

OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99 - runs good

OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99 using Steam provided shortcut - runs good

OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99 AND KEGETYS DXDLL and normal shortcuts - runs good

OFPr 1.96, ArmaCWC1.99 AND KEGETYS DXDLL using Steam provided shortcut - program crash.

fyi

I have something relevant to add: I think the problem stems from the fact that OFP is a D3D8 game, but DXDLL changes it to D3D9 in a way that overlays (such as Steam's) fail to recognize. I'm pretty sure this is the case, because I also had this problem with the Xfire application's in-game overlay, and that theory led me to a fix.

Unmodded OFP and the Xfire overlay work together perfectly, but if I tried to run DXDLL too, it would simply fail to initialize. Not quite as bad as the crash you get if you try it with Steam but still, it doesn't work. Anyway, the important thing is that I solved that particular problem. I manually edited Xfire's entry for the game, changing the renderer from D3D8 to D3D9. Now, OFP, the Xfire overlay, and DXDLL work together perfectly. I'm hoping this clues us in on how to get Steam's overlay to work with DXDLL too.

Unlike Steam, Xfire automatically detects any installed games that it supports, and creates a small entry about each one with information such as its location and, cruically, what renderer it uses. Xfire auto-detected OFP to be D3D8, so I simply told it it's D3D9. The problem is, I know of no way to control this in Steam's case because it has no such entries. Steam seems to determine what renderer any given game uses at the moment you run it; as evidenced by this excerpt from Steam's "GameOverlayRenderer.log" from immediately after I tried to run OFP with DXDLL and Steam overlay:

Wed Sep 28 18:59:38 2011 UTC - Game is using D3D8, preparing to hook.

I already posted on the Steam forums asking if there's any way to force Steam to recognize a game as D3D9, but there are no replies yet and I'm not holding my breath. :(