Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

RFA Sir Tristian

A long long time ago in a world not so different to our own....

Ok thats it enough of the story...

Back in the old OFP days I had hopes of what I would like to do with my ships, sadly those hopes could not come into frutition due to engine limitations..

Well ArmA2 has brought some of those hopes alive.

If you have been around the community long enough (I talking YEARS, not months!) then part of what your about to see will be familiar..

ArmA2-0485.jpg

What does this ship have.

• Working Bow Doors.
  • Working Bow Ramp.
  • Access Ramp from Tank deck to Main Deck.
  • 3 WORKING cranes. (all seperate so can be attached to ANYTHING else)
  • Ability to tie down loads to stop them moving when she is moving.
  • Working Lights.
  • Decks large enough to take helicopters as per the real-life ship.
  • Vehicles etc can use the weapons while loaded, so put AA units on main deck!!
  • No weight limit on the decks.

All of these features are BUILT IN, require NO triggers etc...

The loading and lifting works with ANYTHING.

What will this ship have.

• Working Stern Ramp.
  • Foot access from outside the ship NOT using the Vehicle access ramps.

At the moment your maybe thinking, yea yea prove it...

Sorry no video (I have yet to work out how to even do that!)

Loading, the nasty bit is getting the ramp to shore (ramp in water = cannot drive up what is under water, Arma2 engine limitation)

ArmA2-0486.jpg

Tieing a vehicle down, it does not care how you park!

ArmA2-0489.jpg

On the move, and the tanks are inside with lorries on the Main deck.

ArmA2-0497.jpg

Loading Hummers using the forward crane

ArmA2-0500.jpg

Current problems

• The textures are STILL the OFP ones...
  • Cannot restrict crane loads so a little 4.5ton crane can lift a 60t tank..
  • Some items do not drop when released... could actually be useful but has to be considered when loading..
  • Not tested under MP conditions.
  • If using by yourself external view HAS to be used for docking etc due to size of ship.

So does ArmA2 need this..

Not for me to answer, I wanted it, when/if it goes Alpha/Beta then its your choice.. This is in essence a concept model that shows just what can be done..

Will I release it..... no idea, depends on demand.

I personally like the idea of having to load up a ship full of the kit I need, sail to target area, assault and unload... and of course would have to be done with friends, guiding the loads on and making sure you can get the right load of first (who really wants to drive the ammo off before the tank when your getting shot at!)

HUGE thanks to both Rockape and UNN who without their help this concept would not of got to testing, let alone public knowledge.

Edited by CBFASI

Well, this looks very interesting indeed!

This will be very useful for coop missions involving amphibious assault! Do you plan on re texturing it ?

The re-texturing requires me to learn new skills.. so it would be slow at first. (Hence I am using old models of mine from OPF days, they look 'passable' as long as not too close, althought to be honest at the right range it looks good anyway.

Damn interesting proof of concept. Looking forward to further developments..

CantBeFrikinArsed Ships sail at last ! :cool:

*forgot to ask .."units can use weapons while loaded " That's awesome ... what about artillery module vehicles ? I am guessing not .

Edited by orson

Just what i needed to make a logistic mission for my squad. Thank you!

Will test in MP ASAP.

Finally an LST we can load stuff on and transport our vehicles to another place. Hurray for supply and logistics reallism.

Good work, I love it and I would probably use it. I think PRACs would also be interested.

Welcome back :) the addon looks awesome.

I been on the fringe for a while, but not completely gone... lots of concept work has gone on, along with several unfinished islands, but this is one of a few that I think maybe up for release

That looks really sweet. I like the idea of being able to transport vehicles like that. Good stuff. Hope to see me down the line. :)

Really like the look of this, especially after the loss of the merchant ship from Sigma-6's vehicle pack. One question - any internal areas other than the landing craft bay, ie cabins or the bridge ?

Keep up the good work !

wow looking great and good to see you around again! this is very intersting and i see a million ways this can be used! and i personal am happy to hear about these! just out of curiousity will your dry dock be ported to arma2? along with a few other things you had sent me awhile back in arma1(i believe sum sorta british cruzer\ship?) i hope so as i enjoyed them back then very much and you are quite talanted and i hope to see this along with many other addons come from you!

Dave,

I was told it couldn't be done, it wouldn't be done...

Dear Lord in Heaven there is an ArmA god.

I would love to get my hands on this for some beach landings under heavy air cover. I took a look at an LST for PRACS a while back, people I asked told me it either wasn't possible or would be too large a project. Damn this looks great!

A very interesting project. The implementation of the idea is really good.

yeah like Darkhorse said this is amazing that once again the arma limitations have been beaten...so mad props to you bud! btw this is a "British Army Ship" right? the one that was decomissioned in 05'?

Also just figured i'd ask but any possible chance to get an american version of an LST..im sure with a simple edit it can be made as most LST's look very simular? but then again i was never in the navy and i never saw any LST's up close before other then in one joint training op, and in movies lol which is the reason im interested in this specific ship..IIRC i saw this ship(or was suppost to be this ship) on some good move about the falklands War, and it got blown up or sumthiung? maby someone can enlighten me better lol!

anyways outstand work...this is god sent!

Dave