British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

I know the new DLC was not every one's cup of tea but it was 10 dollars. That not even the cost of a movie ticket for one person. So for that little bit of money you got a lot, plus it give BI the resources to fix in add to the over all game. So as long as BI keeps improving the game I will buy there DLC. In think about it the more we invest in them the more they will invest in us. So maybe one day we will see arma3

I find BAF to be amazing, tbh it adds what some developers would consider a full game, just for ten bucks.

I enjoyed the value of the DLC. I would of appreciated the DLC more if we could see more if shapur was much bigger' date=' ie ,25x25 w/ other small towns around , a border , just something. A huge desert map would be really cool to have.[/quote']

How much bigger than infinite would you like?

How much bigger than infinite would you like?

Desert isn't really "infinite" when it comes to usability. To prove this please make me a mission using that map where OPFOR and BLUFOR start 25km from each other please or one where you can see yourself on the map 5km from the middle.

Nope, we still have allot of broken content in what we already have, like statics with no sites, statics that to my knowledge can't be reloaded, missles that don't lock on to anything for two games now, SUVs and ATVs that ramp up and flip over almost anything and etc., maybe when they get caught up.

Edited by callihn

i'm looking to buy the BAF DLC, but i have a few questions first and i'd appreciate it if someone took the time to answer them;

- is the content, mainly the new campaign and the single missions, generally on the level of OA/ArmA 2 in terms of quality? in other words, do they work as intended, are no mission stopping bugs present (like we had in ArmA 1), and are they fun to play?

- i normally don't buy DLC so i have little experience with digital purchases. where is the best place to purchase BAF for the German retail edition of OA? i'd figure Sprocket, but i don't know the service.

- how exactly does the DRM work? upon purchasing you get a CD-key and need to activate the DLC online upon installation? is there an install limit, a limit as to how many times you can use the CD-key? can you redownload the DLC anytime?

that's a lot of questions, i know. :o i usually don't buy into the DLC practice as i think it promotes splitting up game content in order to sell individually what should either be free or have shipped with the original game, but i'm willing to make an exception here because i like BIS games and think BAF offers acceptable value for money. but i'm not willing to put up with hidden DRM like Bioware DLC introduces (DLC is tied to an online account, in order to play with your purchased DLC you need to be logged in and online at all times, essentially an UbiSoft Game Launcher kind of thing - screw that).

1. I'd say the missions and campaign are better quality than ArmA2's stock missions/campaign. They are exceedingly fun to play, with a lot of variety and content in each one. I've run into one bug and only hit that one time, where the 2nd mission ended without remembering it ended so I just had to drive 1km to finish.

2. Sprocket is real nice, fine download speed, easy ordering, lots of confirmation emails to keep things straight, lots of payment options, works with DVD or Steam, run by BIS so they make more money than if you bought retail. All in all the place to get it from.

3. It's a simply email + activation key system, reuseable many times (not sure how many, but BIS's CEO claimed he can't think of a case where it wouldn't be enough or something similar). Yes, you can download it multiple times and your key is stored on your account page on Sprocket. Easy as pie!

None of this content was removed from ArmA2/OA to include as DLC (that's almost never the case anyway, but whatever). I'd highly suggest buying it, if only to help BIS out. We so want ArmA3. :)

- is the content, mainly the new campaign and the single missions, generally on the level of OA/ArmA 2 in terms of quality? in other words, do they work as intended, are no mission stopping bugs present (like we had in ArmA 1), and are they fun to play?

I've played through the campaign and several of the SP scenarios with zero issues. The campaign is short but rather exciting, though I must say some of the SP missions are a lot better. Lots of replay value there. The BAF units themselves are to notch in terms of quality.

- i normally don't buy DLC so i have little experience with digital purchases. where is the best place to purchase BAF for the German retail edition of OA? i'd figure Sprocket, but i don't know the service.

I used it for the first time myself to buy this DLC and found that it's really simple: once you have bought the DLC you get a key and a download link. Download the installer from the link, input the key when requested and off you go.

- how exactly does the DRM work? upon purchasing you get a CD-key and need to activate the DLC online upon installation? is there an install limit, a limit as to how many times you can use the CD-key? can you redownload the DLC anytime?

Not sure about install limit. Perhaps someone from BIS can answer that.

1. I'd say the missions and campaign are better quality than ArmA2's stock missions/campaign. They are exceedingly fun to play, with a lot of variety and content in each one. I've run into one bug and only hit that one time, where the 2nd mission ended without remembering it ended so I just had to drive 1km to finish.

2. Sprocket is real nice, fine download speed, easy ordering, lots of confirmation emails to keep things straight, lots of payment options, works with DVD or Steam, run by BIS so they make more money than if you bought retail. All in all the place to get it from.

3. It's a simply email + activation key system, reuseable many times (not sure how many, but BIS's CEO claimed he can't think of a case where it wouldn't be enough or something similar). Yes, you can download it multiple times and your key is stored on your account page on Sprocket. Easy as pie!

None of this content was removed from ArmA2/OA to include as DLC (that's almost never the case anyway, but whatever). I'd highly suggest buying it, if only to help BIS out. We so want ArmA3. :)

thanks for answering. :) i know that BAF is all new content ;) . that's why i'm willing to purchase it. as for DLC being taken out of the game and sold separately, it's more likely than you might think; just look at Eidos (Kane & Lynch 2), 2K Games (Bioshock 2, Mafia 2) or Capcom (Resident Evil 5), their games even ship with the DLC already on the disc but to be purchased separately... :( thankfully, BIS are doing it the right way.

I've played through the campaign and several of the SP scenarios with zero issues. The campaign is short but rather exciting, though I must say some of the SP missions are a lot better. Lots of replay value there. The BAF units themselves are to notch in terms of quality.

I used it for the first time myself to buy this DLC and found that it's really simple: once you have bought the DLC you get a key and a download link. Download the installer from the link, input the key when requested and off you go.

thank you as well.

Except Steam we used Impulse Reactor as DRM. You can check their website for the details. I'm sure several activations for you personal use are perfectly allowed. Also repeated installation of a product (and better uninstallation each time) from one IP shouldn't be the problem. Even then there is a support and you can explain why do you need another activation.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/support/activation

can you redownload the DLC anytime?

I hope so. If not, it's wrong and contact support where you bought the DLC then, please.

Amen to that....

In game US Apache has different FFARs to UK version: US AH64D has hydra, UK AH1 has flechette anti-tank rockets (FAT) and HE rockets.

IRL UK Apache has different engines, avionics and countermeasures suite to US version.

Just to make the list complete, BAF AH1 has stronger engines and some addons.

Don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I'm getting "red Flir" with the British rifle with mounted thermal scope (AWS I think)... Is it normal ?

It is a feature. AWS means Advanced Weapon Sight and it has fourth generation of light amplification. That means it can not only amplify low light into green scale, but also amplify selected frequency of light, in this case IR.

wow didn't realise the engines were better in game - that's great!

Curious! What might 'some addons' be? :D

I own the game Weapon II - Operation Arrowhead "in Italian.

The installation of expansion "British Armed Forces" (in english) translates into english also the basic game?

Thank you.

The installation of expansion "British Armed Forces" (in english) translates into english also the basic game?

Thank you.

Nope. The BAF content will be in english, the rest of the game will remain Italian. (Or whatever language you use now.)

Thank you.

Nope, all the Italian texts remain. If you take Italian as your game language, everything will be Italian except of BAF content, which is going to be English.

Great, this is what I don't want to miss out. And what are the addons? :yay::yay::yay:

wow didn't realise the engines were better in game - that's great!

Curious! What might 'some addons' be? :D

Great, this is what I don't want to miss out. And what are the addons? :yay::yay::yay:

I hope the picture shows them all, but I am not really sure.

Thanks for sharing Pettka. Good to know it's not just merely a re-skinned.

I am guessing same goes for the Chinook, with a slightly better engine maybe?

Thanks for sharing Pettka. Good to know it's not just merely a re-skinned.

I am guessing same goes for the Chinook, with a slightly better engine maybe?

Chinook engine stays the same, but you are quite right otherwise. There are even more addons on Chinook, as far as I recall, and right-side pilot included :icon_twisted:

I hope the picture shows them all, but I am not really sure.

Changes are just some basic additions:

• UK spec Radar Warning Recievers (RWR) and mounts - the black domes on the black plates front and rear.
  • UK Spec Missile Approach Warning system (MAWS) - the white discs front, rear and under side.
  • New Flare launcher mounts. The two boxes pointing down at 45 degrees from the rear fuselage.
  • Added RPD (Rocket Protective Device) Fairing to the M261 Rocket pod
  • CRV7 Rockets HEPD and FAT warheads
  • Slightly more lift/power in the envelope

Changes are just some basic additions:

• UK spec Radar Warning Recievers (RWR) and mounts - the black domes on the black plates front and rear.
  • UK Spec Missile Approach Warning system (MAWS) - the white discs front, rear and under side.
  • New Flare launcher mounts. The two boxes pointing down at 45 degrees from the rear fuselage.
  • Added RPD (Rocket Protective Device) Fairing to the M261 Rocket pod
  • CRV7 Rockets HEPD and FAT warheads
  • Slightly more lift/power in the envelope

Thanks a lot, You know it much better.

I have just seen Your work astonished, great job.

Thank you :o

Is it plan to have subtitles for dlcs in the same language as arma2oa (french, spanish, german version etc..)

As the free Eagle wing pack was translate into all language, it's something strange for a paid dlc to only have english and czech subtitles.

FreeFrag.UK

i would like You to name other DLCs which offers more on the 'content vs price tag ratio'

new map (Shapur), new voice overs (complete British voice-over with multiple native talkers and dialects), campaign with 4 missions (they contain sub-missions), 10 standalone missions (9 if You count out showcase) out of which 5 is multi-player (coop) ready, new vehicles, new weapons etc.

also consider that part of the content was distributed for free to users as part of 1.54 (the map and all engine enhancements)

also what was biggest let down for You ?

the missing vehicles (take note this is not whole UK army but just small contingent of British units ...)

the short campaign ? (played standalone missions yet ?)

low amount of SP/MP missions ?

short SP/MP missions ?

low amount of weapons ?

don't hesitate to go deeper in Your feedback cause then it become valuable

Thank you for your response Dwarden.

In response to your post other forms of DLC provided around the same price bracket would include those provided by BioWare for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, although, I will concede that the level of quality and amount of content has varied from pack to pack. The DLC provided by GearBox for Borderlands which included new zones, mission content, enemies etc etc and I would also like to mention the additional DLC provided by Bethesda for Fallout 3. Although I will say in regards to these games the DLC did improve from pack to pack. I would argue that these companies, as well as RockStar (GTA), represent an almost gold standard in regards to DLC content, however, I will also note that there are several companies such as Activision who are more content to bleed the consumer for every little piece of additional material for extortionate prices.

I would also respond by saying that given the patch included a lot of the content for free in the interest of compatability it cannot be argued as content within the DLC, however, this can lead to a circular argument of saying that the content wouldn't have been in the patch without the conception of the DLC from the get go so I will avoid using this an argument.

Now to answer your more direct questions -

> also what was biggest let down for You?

The biggest let down for me is that it seems to be more of a supplement to the BluFor as opposed to an actual addition of British Forces given that it is called the British Armed Forces pack. I understand that it is meant to be representative of a contingent but the contingent seems lacking of key equipment (vehicles).

> the short campaign ? (played standalone missions yet ?)

The campaign is short and sweet but it feels of lower quality than that included in Arrowhead, I feel as though the Arrowhead campaign really showed off the possibilities in regards to mission and campaign creation.

> low amount of weapons?

No complaints in regards to the weapons,as none stand out as being missing unlike certain vehicles.

Not wanting to end on a negative note I will say that it is a strong addition to the game and a very welcome addition. It also shows a lot of promise for future DLC down the line.

Respectfully,

FreeFrag.UK