British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I'm getting "red Flir" with the British rifle with mounted thermal scope (AWS I think)... Is it normal ?

From what I've seen BAF is great, not including things people have asked about such as a harrier or challenger 2 is no issue as the GR9 technically looks different to the AV-8b so would have needed a tad more work plus it isn't used by the british in theatre at the moment and neither is the challenger which makes it more realistic IMO my only gripe as always is that things Brits use at the moment get included except the Mk4 Seaking. Apart from that keep up the good work.

Nice job on the DLC BIS, The only bad thing about the DLC is how super short the campaign is.

Also the lack of an MBT for the British Forces limits IMO the use of these forces in missions such as Warfare

Oh please, MBT's aren't the be all, end all, of warfare matches!

Personally I love the new DLC and eagerly await the next lot.

In real life it's almost as "easy" to transport a Warrior as it is to transport a Challenger 2

Not true. You have to have two completely different logistics chains - one for Warrior parts, spares, engines, etc and one for Challenger parts, spares, engines. You also have to bring in suitable recovery equipment, so you'd have to deploy CRARRV too, which means yet more parts, spares and engines (there are minor differences between the CRARRV and CR2, unlike the Warrior ARV which is 100% common with the normal Warror).

So yeah, deploying one or the other is easy, but deploying both doubles your workload.

Resuming, like I said, I wasn't expecting the "whole British Army" but I think that the:

- A close air-support aircraft (such as the Harrier or other)

- Challenger 2

- Ambulance, Repair, Refuel, Rearm vehicles

Together with the already modeled units in BAF should be a must for this DLC and the lack of these units is IMO a major omission.

However I would happily pay (hmm let's say) £4.99 for a BAF top up pack. With the aforementioned units (Fixed-wing, Support vehicles & Challenger 2, etc) & maybe a scenario or two (to show off new units).

+1

I would happily pay for a top up pack which brings the remaining units (proper landrover Wolf, landrover ambulance, MAN support vehicle (ammo, fuel, recovery variants), Mastiff, CR2, Typhoon FGR4, UK versions of MLRS (just a reskin) and M119 (reskin, longer barrel, LINAPS) )

As a whole in ARMA1 we got quite a lot of free content such as (1.08) M16A4, M16A4 ACOG, M16A4 GL, M16A4 ACOG GL, AK74 PSO1, M107, KSVK, A10, Su34, motorbikes, (later on in patch 1.14 or so) WDL soldiers, marines, south sahrani (with some new roads, making the island more suited for warfare missions, which was a sweet addition to multiplayer and it certainly kept me busy for ages.

This combined with the QG expansion was bucketloads...

IMO however, BIS are going down the 'churn out models and small campaigns every once in a while and charge for them' - route, and I'm becoming rather sceptical about starting to pay BIS for everything they do.

They should at least get the balance right between free content and DLC; if they want to start charging for content, say which they should've put in the dlc anyway, then I think people will lose their motivation to support BIS through DLC$.

I would happily pay for a top up pack which brings the remaining units (proper landrover Wolf, landrover ambulance, MAN support vehicle (ammo, fuel, recovery variants), Mastiff, CR2, Typhoon FGR4, UK versions of MLRS (just a reskin) and M119 (reskin, longer barrel, LINAPS) )

Myself also, that list would be the icing on the already tasty BAF cake.

Have you actually tried the BAF DLC, SASrecon?

Of course I have :D I pre-ordered it..

I know it's awesome, but I'm a student and money not one of my distinguishing features :o

I was just wondering if BIS have completely turned to the DLC side, or if they will also be releasing free models.

+ 1 yes would pay for extra BAF content no hesitation.
No offence, but this is exactly the attitude I want to avoid.

Extra content, which should've been in the BAF expansion anyway; had BIS set their deadline a little later, or raised the price a tiny bit.

Edited by SASrecon

I agree with both arguments here.

I would pay for good DLC but I do hope they all so balance out free and payed for DLC.

I am happy to pay for stuff BIS do because I want them to continue making the only game I love this much plus they deserve it but at the same time I have mouth's to feed :P.

The way BIS treat us is tbh the best I have ever seen any game company treat there fans.

They do a lot for us releasing patch after patch they love there product just as much as we do.

at the same time the mod community do produce some great stuff for free all so and that kinda makes it a little hard to pay for stuff when we get good stuff for free.

Any way I intend to purchase new ARMA releases ARMA3,4,5 and DLC :P and I understand that to do so they need to make this moneys.

Just don't get greedy and make every thing with a price tag though I am real confident they wont as they have never don so in the past and there not like other game company's but we all know that any way.

Great work on the BAF DLC look forward to what you lot do next cant wait.

Love from Dan :P

As far as I see it, these people are like you and me, they have mortgages to pay and kids to feed.. do we all expect them to continue to just keep giving us free content and not get payed for it?

They are running a business and it needs to keep generating income.. it makes perfect sense to charge for anything they make available.. I work for a living, and would expect people to pay for anything I put on the market.

Of course I have :D I pre-ordered it..

I know it's awesome, but I'm a student and money not one of my distinguishing features :o

I was just wondering if BIS have completely turned to the DLC side, or if they will also be releasing free models.

If I recall correctly, BIS said that paid-for and free "DLC" will be released. We'll just have to wait and see. I'd wager that the free DLC will be specific units or a specific vehicle.

Extra content, which should've been in the BAF expansion anyway; had BIS set their deadline a little later, or raised the price a tiny bit.

Just to play devil's advocate, what's the difference between paying $10 for two DLCs a few months apart, or paying $20 for one bigger DLC and waiting a few extra months for it? I mean, I can see differences, but none of them seem particularly positive, so I'm not sure why you'd prefer that.

If I recall correctly, BIS said that paid-for and free "DLC" will be released. We'll just have to wait and see. I'd wager that the free DLC will be specific units or a specific vehicle.

*cough* challenger 2 *cough* :p lol

The talk bout free and paid DLC, didn't BIS just given the arty and engineer feature as free update for those that didn't purchase BAF? Don't forget content can come in the form of features and not only new models and maps.

That's actually very true now that you mention it. We just got free and paid DLC given to us. :D

That's actually very true now that you mention it. We just got free and paid DLC given to us. :D

But I'm still saying it's nothing compared to the free dlc we got in arma1 :j:

I'm just wandering what's happened to it all of a sudden :confused:

As a whole in ARMA1 we got quite a lot of free content

Most of which was re-shuffling of existing data.

All those M16/M4 variants? Nothing *new* there, just different combinations of existing data.

South Sara? Just the existing island re-chopped in visitor.

Compared to the amount of all-new content in BAF, the patches were nothing.

And where does the money come from to pay the workforce to create the extra content? Rasing the price a little bit isnt going to work, as you either end up pricing everyone out of the DLC at $15-20 or you just end up having to make an all-new game for the $30 mark.

For content vs price, the BIS DLC is still MILES ahead of anything anyone else offers. A lot of people need to realise that this extra content doesn't just make its self, and that BIS's offerings are still very competitive. Just because you're used to getting shit for free, doesnt mean that its still economically viable for BIS to do the same thing now...

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

I'm just wandering what's happened to it all of a sudden :confused:

The bad economy, poor sales of AA2, and numerous other things.

BIS would love to keep doing the free stuff, but if they do then they will go under - you have to pay your staff's wages somehow.

Times change, so must we (the greedy "community").

The bad economy, poor sales of AA2, and numerous other things.

Arma 2 sold poorly? I hoped it would have sold well... :(

Marek said himself that one of the reasons they were branching out into paid-for DLC was the poor sales of AA2...

it depends on what you think well is.

astonishing is 20mil (GTA4).

Well is i guess around 2 millions?

Edited by PuFu

Marek said himself that one of the reasons they were branching out into paid-for DLC was the poor sales of AA2...

How did I miss that? :butbut:

Well I for one will happily buy BIS' products if just to keep them going, that's for sure.

It'd be naive to expect it to sell as much as the AAA mainstream titles, but I thought it would have sold well enough...

Do you have any (official) link to read more about what Marek said ?

Nice job on the DLC BIS, The only bad thing about the DLC is how super short the campaign is.

don't miss all these standalone missions then :cool: