British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Dear BIS, please add Challenger 2, FV432, cargo and utility trucks, and I'm buying it for sure even if price will increase.

Who's with me?

@galzohar

It's basically addon, not engine upgrade (unless I'm missing something). Thanks to OA mod menu you don't need to load what you don't plan to use. And I can hardly imagine every server using this DLC when only like 10% of MP missions will actually use any of it content.

Edited by boota

And I have now finally reached the end of the thread. Although i'm sure as soon as I finish this post there will be an entire nother page like yesterday.

Would it help at all if a Mod updated the first post with the factual information that we have?

ex. Maruk's posts

It's not about the price as much as issues such as this:

If some servers run it and some servers don't, you have the community split again and you need to choose if you want to be with the 1/2 that bought it or the 1/2 that didn't (again, that's not even considering the "do I want to pay for it" issue yet).

If it's not about the price then there is ZERO difference between a BIS-created mod and a community mod.

Some servers will run it, others won't - you will be unable to join games running a mod you don't have, so you will have to join other ones: the EXACT same situation we have, and always have had, in the diverse and addon-rich Armaverse.

Can we therefore please stop all this nonsensical, paranoid negativity and instead just be honest about whether the idea of a British mod interests you enough to buy it or not? Thanks.

Edited by Mandrake5

I'm still waiting to see the "solid plan" to handle this as it seems like in each one of the above possibilities bad things happen :( I want to be able to actually have a choice whether I think it's worth it or not, rather than practically have to buy or not buy it based on what other people are doing.

^this or this:

... would there be any legal issue in copypasting the configurations from the DLC units, only replacing all the models and sounds with user-made content? (like a free BAF-compatibility addon, that bypasses the need for official BAF DLC?)

, would deserve a solid answer from BIS, I think. Very much appreciated.

(what I mean by the BAF compatibility addon, is that it would not include any BAF DLC single player content, only free community units and weapons replacement with BAF unit/weapon class names to maintain MP compatibility with BAF DLC content. Ie, are the BAF DLC's config files copyrighted or free game for modders?)

Edited by Pulverizer

@Pulverizer:

Since when ACE required QG? I don't remember such thing...

Lot of servers didn't required QG and/or mods with QG dependency. Personaly I didn't have QG long time and had a nice time in multiplayer...

...What comes next, monthly fees for online gaming? Some publishers already talk about this openly, and they don't mean MMOs.

I don't see this series going that way but you have a point! FYI thoose games/sims going that route already lost me as a customer.

As you probably already notice this "monthly-fee trend" is the latest for lots of new products/software/films/music/etc. and I for one vote with my wallet against it - I have enough regular bills to pay each month already!

/KC

Let's say I buy this DLC for $10, then within a year or two another 9 of them gets released. I buy them too. After all I end up with similar amount of content that was delivered with OA, but I paid $100 for it.

You have a point, and the point is you can see it this way and then walk away from it. Although you could also say that OA/A2 in total was about how many dollars for you total game experience to day which (Im UK) is up to about $100 so far and with about 1 years or more game life so far with plenty of mileage to go yet.

So in 2 years of 9 additions your still getting the mileage from it based on its unit price/compared to what you have paid for A2/OA thus far.

It would be all the more of an argument if we were talking about EA or a massive company, which we aren't. I think supporting them is important to think we can even have the game to have the debate anyway.

Put it another way, while we see it in a negative light we are all paying taxes that are not justified on our wages, there are worse rip off (so to speak) I could think of that give me NO return at all :)

..What comes next, monthly fees for online gaming?

Thats a different thing entirely, paying just to connect to a server and paying for "time" ... now yes, that's a pure rip off no question, online doesn't give you anything other than "time" to play, but we are paying for specifically built content. I just see it as "queens gambits" for less of the cost that was out for (and to me that really was something of a un justified cost). To me its specific expansions to the game for small cost each time, as said before "DLC" seems to be the negative word that makes it look worse than it is.

Im very suspicious of rip offs, but to me the cost of this combined also the long term use of it, who and what BIS are about, coupled with the fact of the types of content for certain games other than this that last five minutes, I would pay per download as this justifies itself for what I get out of it.

** NOTE: as long as the content is good enough & warrants usage and doesn't become slap dash

Edited by mrcash2009

... would there be any legal issue in copypasting the configurations from the DLC units, only replacing all the models and sounds with user-made content? (like a free BAF-compatibility addon, that bypasses the need for official BAF DLC?)

Splendid idea! I remember that QG fix addon did the same, replaced minaret with some not so good looking tower from OFP BKM Mod, and left other objects completely blank - one of the best addons ever made as it enabled a broader userbase to use opteryx islands - even though sometimes they were wondering why QG users would walk in thin air ... but you can´t have everything :turn:

Actually that's pretty much the solution I expect BIS to use - i.e. the "solid plan":

Add all the units to the core game, except replace them with vanilla stuff. So no brit models, textures, sounds or voices, but enough for basic online compatibility. Other players who don't have the mod would essentially see them as standard soldiers.

At least that's how I would do it.

Let's say I buy this DLC for $10, then within a year or two another 9 of them gets released. I buy them too. After all I end up with similar amount of content that was delivered with OA, but I paid $100 for it.

Hmm, let me think for a sec....there's a solution here somewhere, hang on...nearly got it... oh yeah:

DON'T BUY THEM ALL

PS: Anyone got a face-palm emoticon?

Actually that's pretty much the solution I expect BIS to use - i.e. the "solid plan":

Add all the units to the core game, except replace them with vanilla stuff. So no brit models, textures, sounds or voices, but enough for basic online compatibility. Other players who don't have the mod would essentially see them as standard soldiers.

Sounds like a solid plan at least - let´s hope for the best :cheers:

PS: Anyone got a face-palm emoticon?

._:

sold to the geordie on the left !

you got my 8 quid nice one BIS

Edited by shark-attack

This new DLC costs £8, I find it shocking that people are complaining about it, you cant even get a Bargain Bucket from KFC for that.

If it was £8 a month to use it then yes they can poke it, BUT FACT IS ITS NOT!

I would quite happily pay £8 every cuple of months for new DLC as it would keep people interested with the game!

There are about 6 games out at the moment that I would like to have at £40 a pop but I wont buy them because I'm still having fun re living my Army days with ARMA2

In my eyes this GREAT

THANK YOU BOHEMIA

Apparently word from Brigade HQ says any Brits not DLing the content and using it as per regs will result in a charge!

Bring on August 26th - not bothered about a campaign really - learn to use the editor!!

Okay lets look at it from a different angle. BIS has made this DLC a lot quicker than OA but has what sounds like a little less content but a lot less price wise. We know the campaign is going to be an extention of OA with a new faction so its not random. But maybe BIS will make the same amount of products over the next year, that add up to the same price as OA was. This means that the content would be coming in smaller chunks but there wouldn't be such a big gap between releases and makes the arma 2 story line seem like its happening as time passes in the real world. I think this is a better way of BIS releasing new stuff actually because it'll keep more people interested and as long as BIS dont go overboard and release 8 packs in 1 year it'll be about the same price.

Yeah, me too. That would be the most fair way to handle it. Of course, it will be a lot more difficult to do that if there's micro-transaction Islands or units/vehicles with very unique new abilities.

My only concern is that the Krankies have not found

work after all these years.

jock voice actors ... fan dabi dozi

Edited by shark-attack

I've purchased every OfP +Arma game from Resistance to Queens Gambit, correct me if I'm wrong but BiS has never given anything away for free.

No offence, but you must have been really disconnected from the rest of the world...

I don't understand why they are worshiped as if they were gods.

There is a huge difference between worshipping and appreciation! I do not know if it's age/generational thing but some posters would IMO benefit alot if they worked on their attitude.

In short - I wished that more game/sim developers had the same modus operandi as BIS in everything from DRM handling to after sales support!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Question for BIS : Are you planing to include any SAS'ish troops in the pack ?

This is what I dont understand:

If you are complaining that if they bring out 8 DLC a year its going to cost you roughly £80 yet you will still be playing the GREATEST Mil Sim out there today in that year all year round!

I will buy all the COD games for my Xbox and complete them in a day, then probably complete them another 3 times then thats it I dont touch them again, so I'm looking at £80 for 3 days of enjoyment, to £80 for a years enjoyment.

PLUS THE FIRST DLC IS US BRITS!!!! YES THE BRITS WE ARE WORTH WAY MORE THAN £8 FOR ELITE WARRIORS

(I'm getting too excited)

@Pulverizer: The solution to your problem is to book your own server and run it just with ArmA2 OA and no DLC, simple as that. With your calculation of frequency and price of future DLCs you might be already able to fund it alone. And if not, I have already identified some other posters in this thread that might be interested to support you :rolleyes:

I don't see how this might divide the community more than any other more or less popular free mod. The engine upgrades will be made available for all, so DLC owners will still be able to play with you on your ArmA2 OA server. Also new mods using those new features can be run by everyone, so if your favorite mod decides to use the engine additions you can still run them. Only missions that use the new units/weapons/models/islands/whatever else from the DLC you will not be able to run. But as it is your server it's anyway up to you which missions you want to run.

In this sense the DLC is even less "intrusive" than some other mods/conversions that force their changes upon you as soon as the mod is loaded.

If many popular servers/mods/missions/... make use of the new DLC then this is probably just a sign of its popularity and quality in this "core community" of hosts, modders and mission makers. And If you are not part of this group that is driving the whole game, its development and how it is played, then you can't blame them or BIS for leaving you behind with what you got so far. That's your very own decision and nobody forces anything upon you, but don't blame anybody if BIS and everybody else moves on without you.

Regarding the circumvention by replacing the DLC with some custom-made free replacement mod, I guess that would fail due to some checksum or signature failure. Would be too easy to turn your 5.56 rounds into LGBs.

The latter leads me to a problem of replacing the DLC stuff with some other ArmA2 OA model for those that don't have it - the "America's Army paradoxon" of someone shooting a M16 while you see it as an AK74. You at least need replacements with the same configuration which would negate the reason to make/have an addon (creating new stuff with different properties).

Edit: Knew I forgot something - I agree with Jakerod, some mod should collect Maruks statements and add them to the first post - I don't expect that many will find them there right away, but we would have something to reference them to ;)

Edit2: A future DLC that I would be looking forward to would be the one that makes "old" ArmA2 content use the OA and "in-between" DLC (e.g. thermal vision) game engine additions.

Edited by WhoCares

I had a question or two:

1) Will the/could DLC include one more/or any "UK" voice set for the comms?

2) Has their been specifics on where the DLC will be available?

3) How will the DLC be "protected"?

Regarding 2 ... I would suggest places that aren't tied to too many things like Steam has, will there be a roll-out list announced some time before? I notice UK's "Game" (which I use) has a download section, so will BIS include outlets such as these?

Edited by mrcash2009