British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

So the question is, what is Maruks "solid plan" to solve that issue?

Solve what issue?

If people who run or rent their servers like the new DLC content they will use it, if you dont like the content you are free to find other players and servers to play.

The DLC is not being shoved down anyones throats, if people are going to use it its because they like it and find it worth the 9€.

There is no issue.

What about not feeding those who are against this DLC, they represent a little minority and this thread is paying too much attention to them, which might somewhat make you believe that the global opinion is 50,50. Which is not the case at all.

I know that a lot of you don't want to see BIS discouraged by these negative statements, but taking part into such useless debates and paying that attention instead of ignoring the "dislikers" won't make things better.

Debating the content of this release would be a pinch more productive and interesting. nah?

Regards,

TB

how about letting everyone voice their opinion as they see fit, and let the mods do their job? so according to you those who have a more critical opinion do not have the same rights to post here as those who break out in spontaneous applause? wow. :eek:

Luomu has brought up an interesting point although personally I would feel cheated if a DLC that I paid for didn't contain at least a small amount of content... I was pleasantly surprised when the patch with EW contained the Apache as well, that was a nice bonus.

£8 to £10 for a new faction is about right I reckon, you'd have to distribute a campaign with each faction to show them off properly but I don't think that asking people to pay 2.5 euros for just a campaign is fair, maybe a campaign and a couple of new BIS made maps, weapons etc.

how about letting everyone voice their opinion as they see fit, and let the mods do their job? so according to you those who have a more critical opinion do not have the same rights to post here as those who break out in spontaneous applause? wow. :eek:

Opinions about the concept/problems of DLC as a whole belong here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=100348

This thread is for "British Troops DLC" and only replies strictly pertaining to this specific DLC really belong in this thread, but as we moderators are generally nice and kind (W0lle excluded) we're being a little lenient so far........

MW2 DLC

"It's okay for me to do wrong because others do as well" stops working when you reach the kindergarten age.

"It's okay for me to do wrong because others do as well" stops working when you reach the kindergarten age.

except in Activision's case it's disgustingly greedy while in BIS's case it seems like a reasonable offer. ;)

Whether or not BIS' approach to DLC can be regarded as "wrong" remains to be seen. So far, compared to other DLCs on the market, the BAF looks like much better value for money.

Might as well be "You did it wrong children, now watch how adults do it right.":rolleyes:

P.S. oh wait, there is a old thread, maybe we should go there to keep on the bitching instead, or mods will get very angry with us.

Edited by 4 IN 1

I have just been on steam looking for cheap games, then I notice MW2 two DLC, which is no more then a few new MP map, and they charge you 15 bucks each. Now, just tell me one thing: who is money-milking here? BI who gives you the a bunch of new units that they made themself(dont come and talk carp about BI stealing from addonmakers without anything to support your moon landing hoax)and a new campaign(dunno how its going to turn out, hope its long and good)charging $10 and can play it SP/MP, or IW who basicly gives you notthing more then a few map with the size of your local shoping mall and charge you $15 each and you need them to play on MP(which is as rubbish as ever)

^^^ exactly why I'm so upset at people. Then they blanket it in "but mp, mp, mp!!!" I'm sure BIS will make a simple filter that allows you to join a game based on what add-ons you have. A2 default, OA, Brit DLC. If you have all 3 you can join any. No big deal.

Thunderbird,

I've been quite ill this week having a lot of trouble breathing (pneumonia), it makes me much more emotional, and at times like this I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut when I feel an injustice is being done. :p character flaw.

---

Quick Question for BIS. Is there any chance the enemy AI will be able to use mortars too with the new DLC? Doesn't even have to be advanced, but just Line of Site like the other artillery pieces? I know they'd have to mostly aim straight up in the air, but it'd be really cool to see them pumping out mortars into your area as soon as you're within spotter range without fancy scripting.

Cheers all and sorry for my rants. :)

Edited by jpinard

^^^

Quick Question for BIS. Is there any chance the enemy AI will be able to use mortars too with the new DLC? Doesn't even have to be advanced, but just Line of Site like the other artillery pieces? I know they'd have to mostly aim straight up in the air, but it'd be really cool to see them pumping out mortars into your area as soon as you're within spotter range without fancy scripting.

Cheers all and sorry for my rants. :)

I would like this aswell however there would have to be some sort of moduale to stop MASS friendly fire lol,

"Tank, front, close"

"2 engage that tank"

"roger"

"He's down"

"Oh no 1 is down, Three is down, damn we lost 4 . . . . . . . ":D

I havn't posted in a long while, but this news made my eyes pop out, official Brit units, hell yes, now i'm deffinatly getting OA..

Oh great, now the US forces will have to protect more than just civilians now.

Dont you mean US forces will have more to shoot at now? ;)

Fool me once et cetera. I'm only assuming the worst, based on previous experiences (namely the Queen's Gambit rip-off).

This is actually a perfect example.

Can you tell me what was the impact of QG on MP?

That's quite simple : null. Zero impact. I played A2 after QG release exactly as before, on same servers without any issue. Why? Because QG wasn't that appealing, only for a few.

Guess what will happen with a DLC targetting a specific subset of community?

I will be buying this but I want the arty and mortar code to be significant. something along the lines of CoC stuff from before would be great.

I can see this being a turning point for BIS. If they get the DLC right (packed with features) then it will be a REAL money spinner for them. I don't want to think about the comments if they get it wrong! I don't mind paying for quality, I do mind being ripped off. However I hope that wont happen.

This is actually a perfect example.

Can you tell me what was the impact of QG on MP?

That's quite simple : null. Zero impact. I played A2 after QG release exactly as before, on same servers without any issue. Why? Because QG wasn't that appealing, only for a few.

Guess what will happen with a DLC targetting a specific subset of community?

Waaaay off topic but that's not true at all. There were lots of mods and terrains in particular that couldn't be used by MP squads. Terrain editors loved the extra official objects but QG simply wasn't worth the money for everyone in a squad to dish out for.

Since the British DLC looks to be unit and mission content only this probably won't be an issue. [/offtopic]

Just curious - will be all BAF units in desert, woodland and perhaps snow camouflage?

Engine Improvements:

+ Extension of the Engineer's role

+ Ability for players to effectively operate and command artillery and mortar units

Somekind of device to detect mines/IEDs?

Does artillery radar (warfare building) gets a interface to detect/counter artillery? Or its an portable device/interface to request precise artillery strikes?

Will the AI be able to use those improvements too or are they only player oriented?

So basically the only reason people bitch and moan about this because of the magic word "DLC" if Bohemia called this, I don't know "add-on pack" then everyone would be happy.

Just shut up and quit whining Jesus Christ, don't like it don't buy it!

Fool me once et cetera. I'm only assuming the worst, based on previous experiences (namely the Queen's Gambit rip-off).

I actually really enjoyed QG; plus it meant that BIS could continue providing support with pree content via patches etc. like the WDL soldiers in 1.14 and the DC3 and ksvk in 1.08 iirc.

I will be buying this but I want the arty and mortar code to be significant. something along the lines of CoC stuff from before would be great.

I can see this being a turning point for BIS. If they get the DLC right (packed with features) then it will be a REAL money spinner for them. I don't want to think about the comments if they get it wrong! I don't mind paying for quality, I do mind being ripped off. However I hope that wont happen.

Beware, if you pay the DLC for the engine changes, these changes will be available for free through a patch to all OA users.

With the "little" warning that probably, engine enhancements may require config changes (like some entry on engineers config) that will not be set through a patch to all non-BAF OA units.

In other words, maybe only BAF engineers will have special capabilities. That's maybe not what you expect when buying the DLC

Its a little worrying and also might be opening a can of worms that DLC will include "feature" updates / modules / and such becuase I would suggest those things should be added in as patches "overall" to keep the upkeep consistent and make DLC content based as regards, models, missions, sounds, etc etc.

Otherwise I could see that fragmenting people online and SP, becuase there would be no consistent overall game.

I wonder how BIS will look at that side of it ... Engine improvements/new modules/editor improvements = patch only? I would say this is what we paid for as the raw game of Arma2/OA for that to have upkeep.

Anyway ... im all for it and I will keep a close eye on this, if all looks well I would purchase.

Edited by mrcash2009

Its a little worrying and also might be opening a can of worms that DLC will include "feature" updates / modules / and such becuase I would suggest those things should be added in as patches "overall" to keep the upkeep consistent and make DLC content based as regards, models, missions, sounds, etc etc.

Otherwise I could see that fragmenting people online and SP, becuase there would be no consistent overall game.

I wonder how BIS will look at that side of it ... Engine improvements/new modules/editor improvements = patch only?

Anyway ... im all for it and I will keep a close eye on this, if all looks well I would purchase.

And again, Maruk stated that engine enhancements will be available to non DLC users through a patch :)

Oops, I didn't see that, ok cool.

It would be a nightmare otherwise, very messy.

"!!ZOMG!!!! I paid for engine enhancements in the DLC, why should anyone get it for free in a patch!!???"

... I can see the "low post count" folk coming in thick and fast with that gem later on :)

Edited by mrcash2009

You don't get the point of my post.

I'm not saying that people should not post their opinions, but those with the negative and discouraging comments who judge a product before even it gets released, basing themselves on a few published lines should be ignored.

Ignoring them will make things advance in a positive way and will avoid some people here think that the british DLC is unpopular, therefore, unworthy.

Get it now?

Like anyone here, they are free to share what they think, but answering them won't make things progress objectively and clearly.

Regards,

TB

Edited by Thunderbird

can a mod just put a poll in place in this thread?

Will you buy it:

Yes

No

Maybe

56 pages in 24h...hmmm

EDIT:

cheers

Edited by PuFu