British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

Yeah it's 9 euros now. If you buy into it, who's to say they don't come up with 6 different DLC packs 6 months later, 9 euros each?

That's the thing about DLC... you can never be sure of the hidden costs.

You know, I can see the point you're trying to make, and I think most others here can too. It's just that your tone of posting is, frankly, appalling, and you have enough ego to make a whole second person.

Let's just break it down and discuss it in a civilized way, okay?

So, you're problem is essentially the following dilemma:

1. BIS releases paid content, to see if people would buy it.

2. You would normally "vote with your wallet" and abstain from buying it, because you are opposed to DLC/microtransactions.

3. However, you feel that you are forced to buy it, because not doing so would reduce your overall enjoyment of the game. (MP issues.)

Did I miss something?

This looks like a fair and great pack!

I just bother about one thing.

Too many british inside :D

Will buy it anyways.

Fool me once et cetera. I'm only assuming the worst, based on previous experiences (namely the Queen's Gambit rip-off).

Assumptions.... so lets just cut out the bullshit and doomsaying shall we?

Suchy, Sethos, SpookLynx, FredDM, Pulverizer:

I'm sorry $10 will destroy your lives. If it will help, I will give you the money from the very little I have (can no longer work from Cystic Fibrosis).

It will be worth it to shut you up. My heart aches for BIS as they work so hard for us, and yet there are such selfish, ignorant, jerks like you who apparently love crushing people's spirits.

I do not have it in savings so will skip a couple of meals. So now you can go on about how nice this pack will be because it's free for you like you expect everthing in life. You won't need to pollute this forum, and what should have been a brilliant and happy thread.

Edited by jpinard

Mouthing off at people who don’t share your blind optimism about DLC is childish.

Mouthing off at BI because of your blind pessimism about DLC is also childish.

It’s not un-reasonable to support the idea of BI getting extra revenue. But so far there has been no statement saying such a thing. BI’s share (if any) may very well be a small proportion.

Even then you can’t assume this will be used for further development of the Arma series. This could also be interpreted as BI moving onto new projects, opening the way for third parties to profit, in return for sustaining their franchise.

Alternatively all the revenue from DLC could be poured into further development of the series. But I suspect they would have to be selling DLC in the hundreds of thousands, to have any significant impact? But then I’m no economist.

Suchy, Sethos, SpookLynx, FredDM, Pulverizer:

I'm sorry $10 will destroy your lives. If it will help, I will give you the money from the very little I have (can no longer work from Cystic Fibrosis).

It will be worth it to shut you up. My heart aches for BIS as they work so hard for us, and yet there are such selfish, ignorant, jerks like you who apparently love crushing people's spirits.

I do not have it in savings so will skip a couple of meals. So now you can go on about how nice this pack will be because it's free for you like you expect everthing in life. You won't need to pollute this forum, and what should have been a brilliant and happy thread.

if you don't actually read people's posts before responding to them, kindly STFU, okay? :mad: i said none of what you accuse me of, in fact i feel rather positive about the announcement and merely offered an explanation as to why some people are disappointed.

tl;dr: l2read.

Edited by Fred DM

This is great (if not unexpected) news, so big thanks to BIS.

I believe they deserve every cent they get as their products have entertained me for almost a decade. The DLC costs about the same as a cinema ticket which would be two hours worth of viewing, or 2-3 beers here. So I think the additional cost over and above the reasonably price OA represents good value.

You know, I can see the point you're trying to make, and I think most others here can too. It's just that your tone of posting is, frankly, appalling, and you have enough ego to make a whole second person.

Let's just break it down and discuss it in a civilized way, okay?

So, you're problem is essentially the following dilemma:

1. BIS releases paid content, to see if people would buy it.

2. You would normally "vote with your wallet" and abstain from buying it, because you are opposed to DLC/microtransactions.

3. However, you feel that you are forced to buy it, because not doing so would reduce your overall enjoyment of the game. (MP issues.)

Did I miss something?

Nope. That's the gist of it. Only, I wouldn't put it so apologetically and nicely because my ego is so huge and I'm also a bad person.

To clear things further, I'm not at all opposed to balls out expansions like Resistance and OA that follow the main game a year later with significant engine improvements and additional content. Only paid DLC that follows two months in and offers nothing of interest to me, except allowing me to maintain full MP compatibility of the game I already paid good money for.

except allowing me to maintain full MP compatibility of the game I already paid good money for.

This is the part that has me worried, if I don't buy this DLC how many servers will I be locked out of.

That sounds understandable. So on top of MadDogX summary the biggest problem, at least for you, is that it's released very quickly after OA. If they waited a year it you wouldn't mind as much because you already had you monies worth from the OA expansion you bought.

Nope. That's the gist of it. Only, I wouldn't put it so apologetically and nicely because my ego is so huge and I'm also a bad person.

To clear things further, I'm not at all opposed to balls out expansions like Resistance and OA that follow the main game a year later with significant engine improvements and additional content. Only paid DLC that follows two months in and offers nothing of interest to me, except allowing me to maintain full MP compatibility of the game I already paid good money for.

a legitimate concern, methinks. however, i'd suggest to wait until after the DLC has been released and then judge to what extent it impedes on your enjoyment of the online gameplay. after all, there's no telling how many people will actually jump on it and how many communities/servers will actually run the DLC. ;) as an example, see the Battlefield 2 Booster Packs.

me, i don't play ArmA 2 online at all, so i have no concerns of that nature. the only things about the DLC that matter to me now are the DRM (if any) and the quality of the content. OA already was of superb quality, so it mainly hinges on the nature of the copy protection/DRM. i'll buy it if it has no to very mild DRM/protection. i won't if they go as overboard with it as Atari have with their DLC.

Edited by Fred DM

I was this>| |<close to releasing my personal British mod.

Since mine could possibly cause your pc to catch fire, I will buy BI's version instead!

Yeah, I know. But it's not too late to start working on that. ;)

So, long story short, you feel that you're being forced to pay 9€ simply to keep being able to play MP. Sounds like a legitimate concern to me. Believe it or not, I'm worried about that too.

So the question is, what is Maruks "solid plan" to solve that issue?

What about not feeding those who are against this DLC, they represent a little minority and this thread is paying too much attention to them, which might somewhat make you believe that the global opinion is 50,50. Which is not the case at all.

I know that a lot of you don't want to see BIS discouraged by these negative statements, but taking part into such useless debates and paying that attention instead of ignoring the "dislikers" won't make things better.

Debating the content of this release would be a pinch more productive and interesting. nah?

Regards,

TB

So the question is, what is Maruks "solid plan" to solve that issue?
Without the DLC you will see placeholder models with huge "BUY BAF" text on them. It's true, trust me :p

What about not feeding those who are against this DLC, they represent a little minority and this thread is paying too much attention to them, which might somewhat make you believe that the global opinion is 50,50. Which is not the case at all.

How can you tell? Similarly, I could propose that the players who do not post here on the forums are the vast majority of Arma's playerbase but are much more likely to be opposed of the paid DLC than the hardcore fanbase who dwell on the forums 24/7.

I was this>| |<close to releasing my personal British mod.

Since mine could possibly cause your pc to catch fire, I will buy BI's version instead!

Release your mod we'll compare with BIS Brit'mod and see which one is the best.

I'm sure yours will be better :yay:

[OUT]

Without the DLC you will see placeholder models with huge "BUY BAF" text on them. It's true, trust me :p

Sorry, but that's just preposterous. It will actually scan your computer for bank details, then open the Sprocket website in the background and purchase the mod for you, while at the same time wiring 24€ to BIS.

That's 9€ for the mod + 15€ extra charge because they had to buy it for you.

Sorry, but that's just preposterous. It will actually scan your computer for bank details, then open the Sprocket website in the background and purchase the mod for you, while at the same time wiring 24€ to BIS.

Lmfao that genious i suppose that better then "fade"

I have just been on steam looking for cheap games, then I notice MW2 two DLC, which is no more then a few new MP map, and they charge you 15 bucks each. Now, just tell me one thing: who is money-milking here? BI who gives you the a bunch of new units that they made themself(dont come and talk carp about BI stealing from addonmakers without anything to support your moon landing hoax)and a new campaign(dunno how its going to turn out, hope its long and good)charging $10 and can play it SP/MP, or IW who basicly gives you notthing more then a few map with the size of your local shoping mall and charge you $15 each and you need them to play on MP(which is as rubbish as ever)

Hehe...

That reminds me Dragon Age, where poor guy needed help and when you talked him, he said "Mate, you need to buy Wardens Keep DLC to help me, please" :D

Tho, I bought it anyway, DA was/is amazing game and I wanted weapons included this :O

Hmm I likes the sound of that, you haven't patented it or anything right?

Lmfao that genious i suppose that better then "fade"

It's a new kind of "fade" that directly applies itself to your bank balance.

Every two days you get a letter saying "not buying this content ma cause your funds to degrade"

On more serious note, maybe any future DLC can be more campaign-oriented. I like getting professional single player missions (with voice acting and all) and certainly nobody can claim they splinter the precious MP community. If you don't like single player then hey, easy choice.

EW would have been an interesting experiment, sell it for something tiny like 2,49€ and see what happens :)