British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

I've talked to my team and probably all of guys will buy this UK DLC. We just love their troops, Wildcat, Warrior etc. its nice to see all the stuff as we will recreate many scenarios described in books written by grunts and officers of UK army.

From Maruk: All engine improvements developed for A2: BAF will be released to all users in free game update/patch and BAF will use it from the updated main game executable directly (note that it does not mean all our previous official content will get proper configuration to use it...)

I'll be buying it and, whilst I'm happy to see some British content, my main motivation for doing so is to help fund continued development on the engine. As long as there are visible engine improvements I'm happy to keep paying out what are, after all, pretty small sums of money and will treat the content as an added bonus :-)

You forgot pob-s could be decrypted or something, like VBS has. ;)

Yeah, I guess that's a possibility. Still a huge step up from DLCs for other games, where you are forced to be online to play, and crap like that. ;)

Hopefully Maruk will clear this up once and for all, so we can stop speculating.

Phew, what a drama some of you make of this... ;)

I for one am looking forward to this dlc and will buy it simple because brits with their accents are just awesome and more official content is always great.

A lot of you forget that bis is a very small studio compared to the ones the big publishers have working on games, look at the amount of stuff we get with one game - it's huge.

Why?

Give me one, only one reason, why BI should have postponed OA release (this DLC is not yet finished) for several months just to give more stuff to you for free??? Are you fricking that spoiled that you consider their work as "must be free"? This is their job, not some passion they have at the end of their work day, that they can drop anytime they wish. A job means being paid for it.

Postponing OA release to add BAF content in it means we should pay for that, that would mean OA for current price + BAF price. For me, OA would have cost 29€ + 9€ = 38€. I'm glad I paid 29€ and BI leaves me the choice to not buy BAF (which I won't probably do, because of lack of interest in the content, apart for this damn Lynx, best chopper in the world :) ), instead of forcing me to pay 38€.

it has nothing to do with people wanting stuff for free. it was simply a bad move by BIS to preview the British and PMC units shortly before the release of OA. it was reasonable to expect these units to ship with OA.

now it looks like the units were simply kept out of OA in order to sell them separatly, and you can't really blame anyone for seeing it this way. BIS simply shouldn't have disclosed the British units until now.

for me, personally, OA was one of the best purchases in recent times. so much content and value for the price of an add-on can rarely be found, and the BAF DLC seems to have an acceptable value-for-money ratio as well.

I don't see why people are complaining about "OMG BRITISH TROOPS ARE ALREADY DONE BY MODDERS! OMG!"

I mean, the only things in Arrowhead that hadn't already been done by modders were the Czech troops, L39, BTR40 and AH6X.

£7 is peanuts, I recently had to pay £80 on tax for something I hadn't even got at the time...

Very excited for this, it all looks top notch and at a very reasonable price too imo. Cheers BI!

Sick of reading all the bitching in this thread, People complained that the Brits were not included in any Bi products previously. Now Bi have addressed the issue, and people are bitching again as the content isn't what they want. How many M4's are in the game via Bi, yet we get numerous community made M4's and people use them, it's all about choice. Use the Bi Brits, or use Stalker's Troops, UKF's equipment, and RKSL's aircraft, or do as I'll do and use a mixture of everything. Bi's games are brilliant in the sense of you can customise the game to something you want!

Want over,

Looking forward to the DLC, Bi you've got my money............

Has the full unit list be released yet? I will be buying the BAF DLC, but I'm hoping there will be more in the way of vehicals other than the Jackel and Warrior, and also aircraft. I mean if were doing "afghan" based operations, then surely a mastiff would be of use?

Schancky :)

Some time after the DLC is released it might be good to do research within the customer group to see if they bought it for the new content, to support BIS or both.

I'll buy it to support BIS because they are one of few developers listening and interacting with the community, keeping a niche genre alive and are not dumbing down their games for a bigger mainstream audience. Much respect for this approach.

The only problem I see here is that anyone playing as or controlling a squad of British troops has an unfair advantage over all other forces. This is due to the British army as being the best and most 'effiecient' combat solders in the world!

I think £7.99 for the add-on is a no-brainer bargain!!!!!!!! :) Well done.

Some time after the DLC is released it might be good to do research within the customer group to see if they bought it for the new content, to support BIS or both.

I'll buy it to support BIS because they are one of few developers listening and interacting with the community, keeping a niche genre alive and are not dumbing down their games for a bigger mainstream audience. Much respect for this approach.

that's pretty dumb. if all you wanted was to support the developer, then what's stopping you from wiring them some cash? you wouldn't have to wait for them to develop new content, either. you could do it right now.

buying their stuff for the content is supporting BIS.

Which Pay System will Support the DLC form BIS ? (Paypal ect.)

apparently, it will be available through Sprocket as well as Steam. both platforms allow for PayPal as a method of payment.

I fucking called it... I was right, you were wrong! Ha-ha. ("ohh we're not sure if there's even going to be any paid DLC, when has BIS ever released paid DLC?" etc).

WTF are you talking about? in the Community FAQ BIS clearly announced paid DLC. that's what caused that huge DLC Discussion thread, remember?

If the addons were free for all, but the DLC single player content paid, then there would not be any problem. It's almost as bad as Queen's Gambit, only this time you at least get something of value.

this isn't quite the same situation as with previous 'bonus' units. you can't seriously expect all the new content (half a dozen new vehicles, new faction/units, new weapons, new missions/mini campaign, etc.) to be free?! it's not enough to be sold as a regular expansion pack, but it's too much to just give away for free.

Edited by Fred DM

I fucking called it... I was right, you were wrong! Ha-ha. ("ohh we're not sure if there's even going to be any paid DLC, when has BIS ever released paid DLC?" etc).

I hate the concept of micro-transaction DLC, but I'm forced to buy it anyway if I want to keep playing multiplayer on my favourite servers. There's no dignity in using such foot-in-the-door techniques in my opinion. Thanks for breaking the game I bought, BIS :(

If the addons were free for all, but the DLC single player content paid, then there would not be any problem. It's almost as bad as Queen's Gambit, only this time you at least get something of value.

I absolutely agree, zoog. This is why I will purchase A2:BAF and will continue to support BIS as long as they support their community.

Welcome to six weeks ago.

If BIS is testing a new "selling" model to see if it worth it to make DLC, then I'll not buy this DLC just because I always hated DLC.

No matter of the price or which units are included, I prefer to have a full game and pay once the full price than multiple times small things.

And DLC will divide community once more with Addons that people will have or not... that's boring.

I agree they should add the DLC in the OA box and increase the price. Then wait another year and make whatever an OA2 with again a big set of updates and new units for full price again.

I hate the concept of micro-transaction DLC, but I'm forced to buy it anyway if I want to keep playing multiplayer on my favourite servers. There's no dignity in using such foot-in-the-door techniques in my opinion. Thanks for breaking the game I bought, BIS :(

Nobody's forcing you to buy anything. Read the thread were Maruk explained that there won't be any issues, if people don't purchase the DLC. What a bunch of ungrateful whiners are posting in this thread . . . it's unbelievable.

No other developer has kept up with their community the same as BIS.

And once again BIS is not forcing you to buy anything

kind regards

If You buy it, you will:

*Support New BIS-Strategy :

- Patches ( like here for the Engine) have to be paid in the Future

- Release a Game "Soon as Possible" [( Without Casualties ( BUGS ))]

- They couldnt release the UK-Addon with OA Release...

Why they didnt release the StandaloneAddon 2 Month later,

and increase the Price for about 4 Bucks? (*not for 9 Euros)

* Yes the DVD is expensive as Hell ( the Box for sure too )

Now i will not buy it and support that kind of Moneymaking! Point Flash is close for me...

I play the Bohemia Series since it started 2001 and i have to realize that the Company earned 2 much Money from the Army for VBS etc (please correct me if i am wrong)

I feel like a Puppet on a String, and BIS is my Master...

There are alot of great UK Addons made by the Community, i m using those, cause those Modders are lookin to get Bugs out of their Addons :yay:

Greetings

Edited by TribeROOTS

Yeah, nobody's forcing me to buy it. Unless I want to keep playing multiplayer proper that is. Then I'm forced to buy it.

Come to think of it, would there be any legal issue in copypasting the configurations from the DLC units, only replacing all the models and sounds with user-made content? (like a free BAF-compatibility addon, that bypasses the need for official BAF DLC?)

Edited by Pulverizer
a jolly good idea

Yeah, nobody's forcing me to buy it. Unless I want to keep playing multiplayer proper that is. Then I'm forced to buy it.

wat?

The engine improvements and fixes are coming out as free patches leaving the DLC completely optional. I daresay if you try to join a server using British units from the DLC you won't be able to but then that's the choice you've made surely? You don't try to join an mp server running a mod you refuse to download and then moan that it won't let you in do you?

Maybe you do:j:

I see you are unable to comprehend what I'm saying. Thanks for reading anyway.

The difference with mods is that they're free. The DLC will no doubt be adopted by my favourite servers, making me unable to play the game in the way I want to, unless I pay more. Therefore, I'm forced to buy it, or find better hobbies.

The difference to expansions is that they usually only follow a year later and significantly improve the engine and greatly improve amount of content. DLC breaks the game for me in 2 months after I bought it. Without DLC, I could play a whole year free-of-charge, without paying the hidden DLC subscription costs.

Edited by Pulverizer

Come to think of it, would there be any legal issue in copypasting the configurations from the DLC units, only replacing all the models and sounds with user-made content? (like a free BAF-compatibility addon, that bypasses the need for official BAF DLC?)

Dude... OA uses lotsa Community Stuff....

Where do you think is th ATV etc. coming from ?

Or where is the Lynx / Merlin from VBS coming from ?

Do you have a clue Pulverizer????

ALL IDEAS FOR THE GAMEIMPROVEMENTS CAME FROM THE COMMUNITY

If You buy it, you will:

*Support New BIS-Strategy :

- Patches ( like here for the Engine) have to be paid in the Future

- Release a Game "Soon as Possible" [( Without Casualties ( BUGS ))]

- They couldnt release the UK-Addon with OA Release...

Why they didnt release the StandaloneAddon 2 Month later,

and increase the Price for about 4 Bucks? (*not for 9 Euros)

* Yes the DVD is expensive as Hell ( the Box for sure too )

Now i will not buy it and support that kind of Moneymaking! Point Flash is close for me...

I play the Bohemia Series since it started 2001 and i have to realize that the Company earned 2 much Money from the Army for VBS etc (please correct me if i am wrong)

I feel like a Puppet, and BIS is my Master...

There are alot of great UK Adddons made by the Community, i m using those, cause those Modders are lookin to get Bugs out of their Addons :yay:

Greetings

Are you kidding? lol compare BIS to all other game companies and how they make games. Each year they bring out a new one with little improvement with maybe some new guns, units and a four hour campaign. BIS has probably made a longer campaign for this with new units, vehicles and they are only charging £8 for something other game companies would charge £40 for. To be honest everyone in this community owes bis for releasing the modding tools for free. Maybe instead of releasing DLC maybe BIS should have charged for the modding tools instead to make the money they need to continue making this game series and fixing the bugs. This game has the most support from its developers i have seen with any game...