British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

That chopper in the background has good curves, damn!:pray:;)

Well... As I have seen, about 1/3 or even more content is made by community (e.g. Jackals, MTP units, choppers etc.). So, I don't see any significant reason to spend any money for this DLC. It looks like this content should be included in OA, but someone decided to get additional money. There's one proverb, which sounds in english like "Greed will ruin the person". Looks like not everyone knows it...

If BIS would have done the french instead of the brits, there wouldn't be such a mess... Everyone would have been happy'n glad.

- The "Happy French White Flag Setters" and... the french.

Heh.

Oh god..43+ pages full of debates as to whether or not BI deserves the right to profit from it's endeavors. Sounding a lot like the ArmA2 PR rampage a while back. People whining about something that doesn't even exist yet.

For a measly $10 (about 1/3 of what you pay every month for your internet service ) you get a shit load of additional content that's STANDARDIZED so if you want to play online , you aren't assaulted with a list of mods you have to find , download and install.

As far as I'm concerned , if BI offers something I think I would be interested in having , I'll buy it.

If I'm not interested , then I won't.

Simple as that.

You can do the same.

(and that's 20 minutes of my life wasted reading through this I'll never get back)

Edited by BeerHunter

Not happy to see BIS go this way with DLC. But hey who wouldn't want to get money from work you do.

Oh god..43+ pages full of debates as to whether or not BI deserves the right to profit from it's endeavors. Sounding a lot like the ArmA2 PR rampage a while back. People whining about something that doesn't even exist yet.

(and that's 20 minutes of my life wasted reading through this I'll never get back)

I think the majority of posts are thankful and of gratitude... Nothing wrong with people having an opinion, and its great that they have somewhere to express it and get feedback...

Well... As I have seen, about 1/3 or even more content is made by community (e.g. Jackals, MTP units, choppers etc.). So, I don't see any significant reason to spend any money for this DLC. It looks like this content should be included in OA, but someone decided to get additional money. There's one proverb, which sounds in english like "Greed will ruin the person". Looks like not everyone knows it...

You don't have to buy it if you don't want to. Selling a standalone expansion for Arma2 for £17 and then putting a £10 dlc on it still makes it only slightly more expensive than OA alone is on Steam.

For a measly $10 (about 1/3 of what you pay every month for your internet service ) you get a shit load of additional content that's STANDARDIZED so if you want to play online , you aren't assaulted with a list of mods you have to find , download and install.

As far as I'm concerned , if BI offers something I think I would be interested in having , I'll buy it.

If I'm not interested , then I won't.

Simple as that.

You can do the same.

Indeed, those who prefer to stick to community made british stuff didn't get it.

10 bucks for having an harmonized thingie, and which is moreover done by BIS.

Com'on fellas. 10 euros is what I spend for my Big size Kebab.

Regards,

TB

Will the units actually have English accents? It would be so much better if they do.

i'm not a fan of the DLC concept as it's usually done. never paid for ME2 or DAO DLC.

this, however, seems fair to me. a mini-add-on for 10 bucks.

the most important thing however, the kind of distribution and the DRM involved, they've still not disclosed. where will it be available? how will it be protected? online activation, installation limit?

i have a zero tolerance policy towards excessive and intrusive DRM.

the most important thing however, the kind of distribution and the DRM involved, they've still not disclosed. where will it be available? how will it be protected? online activation, installation limit?

i have a zero tolerance policy towards excessive and intrusive DRM.

Sure they have. Maruk gave some helpful hints in this very thread:

- It will be available on Sprocket, Steam and possibly some other online places.

- There will be no DRM.

Will the units actually have English accents? It would be so much better if they do.

No they have Afghani and French accents...

Maybe read the thread?;)

In Rise of Flight they sell single air planes (that's a rip off) for the price where we in ArmA get new units, new vehicles, new missions, new engine improvements and much more...

10 Euros is like nothing.

Edited by Curry

Sure they have. Maruk gave some helpful hints in this very thread:

- It will be available on Sprocket, Steam and possibly some other online places.

- There will be no DRM.

alright, just to please you i've gone through all the 44 pages of this thread, but nowhere could i find a straight answer;

- availability: that's based on your (reasonable) assumption, right? the important thing is that it won't require a credit card. PayPal is a must in such a case.

- DRM: could not find anything on this either except Maruk's reference to 'your dignity' that should stop you from illegaly sharing the DLC. that's not a total denial of DRM/copy protection. i seriously doubt they'll release it in .pbo-format or an unprotected .exe.

i'd appreciate it if BIS could clarify the issue.

I'm sure do not buy dlc but marek, if you read this post, you and your team create very long coop campaign or sp and sell it , 2 3 dollars, and i'll pay.

i prefer play at a good campaign to see a bad movie on dvd.

Indeed, those who prefer to stick to community made british stuff didn't get it.

10 bucks for having an harmonized thingie, and which is moreover done by BIS.

Com'on fellas. 10 euros is what I spend for my Big size Kebab.

Regards,

TB

Harmonize for better separation in multiplayer.

price is 20% more expensive even Vat include for all European player , great :j:

9€ is overprice, 1/3 of the price of arrowhead which remain a full game (and contain more missions).

Baf will only contain "a solo campaign", that will be for sure very very short.

alright, just to please you i've gone through all the 44 pages of this thread, but nowhere could i find a straight answer;

Or you could have just done an advanced search for Maruks posts in this thread. But I'm flattered all the same.

- availability: that's based on your (reasonable) assumption, right? the important thing is that it won't require a credit card. PayPal is a must in such a case.

Well, I think as answers go, this one is as straight as they come:

Sprocket, Steam and probably other online services will be selling it.

^^ :)

- DRM: could not find anything on this either except Maruk's reference to 'your dignity' that should stop you from illegaly sharing the DLC. that's not a total denial of DRM/copy protection. i seriously doubt they'll release it in .pbo-format or an unprotected .exe.

There are indeed no really straight answers on this one, true, although there is another hint apart from the 'your dignity' comment:

All engine improvements developed for A2: BAF will be released to all users in free game update/patch and BAF will use it from the updated main game executable directly (note that it does not mean all our previous official content will get proper configuration to use it...)

Emphasis mine. In other words, BAF will at least not have its own executable. Of course, any form of DRM could be added to the arma2oa.exe, so we're not completely out of the woods just yet. Still, so far the little info we have looks promising.

i'd appreciate it if BIS could clarify the issue.

Yes, that would be nice, just to clear up any false assumptions people might be making.

I'd reccommend checking out the price difference for other games across different regions before expressing too many doubts about the price point set by BIS.

price is 20% more expensive even Vat include for all European player , great :j:

And these damnable statisticians with their '20%'s.. Sure, hey, that sounds like a lot.. but even 100% of bugger all is still bugger all.

http://www.steamprices.com/uk/topripoffs

C'mon guys, No one want's 'fano-boy-ism', but noone needs raving ill-informed lunacy either. This is BIS, not..

Oh great, now the US forces will have to protect more than just civilians now.

US forces protect civilians? Since when? :D

I don't think the lack of Challenger 2 is as big a deal as the presumed lack of SAS/SBS - if the Brits are world-class at one thing it's SF ops. Would love to lead an entire Sabre Squadron on a manhunt in the Tora Bora Takistani mountains...

Pretty much good news all round,(it was worth skiming the thread for details) I don't think I'd have been happy with anything less than extra units, and missions AND feature upgrades, and they seem to have covered all bases. I wont mind paying the price for this package, esp after all the fun I've had playing thier games.

Only thing that maybe could be better, is if they had used more of the brilliant UK talent in the community and let thier own artists work on something that hasn't been done to such a high standard. But this is a mere quibble and if it had been accomplished may have led to more joy than mere mortals can handle. (though they still have 1 month to make Challenger 2, no?)

Look forward to it.

I suppose this will be compatible with OA and Combined Operations, not the standalone ArmA 2?

I suppose this will be compatible with OA and Combined Operations, not the standalone ArmA 2?

Yup, that much is confirmed.

Well... As I have seen, about 1/3 or even more content is made by community (e.g. Jackals, MTP units, choppers etc.). So, I don't see any significant reason to spend any money for this DLC.

And absolutely no one is forcing you to buy it, this is where BI will see if this way of doing things is usable in the future or not

It looks like this content should be included in OA, but someone decided to get additional money.

Why?

Give me one, only one reason, why BI should have postponed OA release (this DLC is not yet finished) for several months just to give more stuff to you for free??? Are you fricking that spoiled that you consider their work as "must be free"? This is their job, not some passion they have at the end of their work day, that they can drop anytime they wish. A job means being paid for it.

Postponing OA release to add BAF content in it means we should pay for that, that would mean OA for current price + BAF price. For me, OA would have cost 29€ + 9€ = 38€. I'm glad I paid 29€ and BI leaves me the choice to not buy BAF (which I won't probably do, because of lack of interest in the content, apart for this damn Lynx, best chopper in the world :) ), instead of forcing me to pay 38€.

There's one proverb, which sounds in english like "Greed will ruin the person". Looks like not everyone knows it...

Take a good look at yourself, and tell me, who's the most greedy here, the one who ask more money for more work, or the one who request this additional work to be given for free?

PS : They are indies, that means they can't pour tons of money on a project to make it huge and develop for years before getting revenues from it, they need the revenues sooner than non indies. I would guess this DLC is an attempt to test some kind of new model where they could sustain main work on engine with regular income via DLC, without needing to put large amount of money on dev stage for years before seeing an inch of income from their work.

Emphasis mine. In other words, BAF will at least not have its own executable. Of course, any form of DRM could be added to the arma2oa.exe, so we're not completely out of the woods just yet. Still, so far the little info we have looks promising.

You forgot pob-s could be decrypted or something, like VBS has. ;)